Hello Everyone

John J

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
In doing research for suitable rifles and calibers I kept on finding this web site, Africa Hunting. Well, glad to be here but it has been costing me alot of money. I knew about what I wanted but the knowledge is so great here I kept on reading and learning. I grew up east coast deer hunting out of a treestand. One day I moved to Colorado and started mountain hunting, reloading and casting bullets. I live in Wyoming now and work in the North Dakota oilfield. After watching a family member getting older not follow his dreams or get to them late I decided I'm not going to do the same. While driving I hear a radio commercial for a gun shop I have never been to, pulled it up on my phone and see I am three miles away. I walked in and asked what do you have in 375 H&H or larger. I walked out with a legendary arms 375 H&H. More utility in US than something larger I thought. Well reading here, 416's hit noticeably harder on buffalo. So a few weeks later a CZ in 416 Rigby was ordered and a AU water buffalo hunt was booked for '19. Members here have helped in my research of rifles, bullet choice and outfutters. I read more than I post, so thank you all for the help. I look forward to hunting Austrailia with my other half and hopefully two years or so after that, hunt cape buffalo and hippo in Africa. John

Excellent, welcome. How do you like the 416?

Look forward to reading your hunt reports.
Welcome to the posting side of AH.

Excellent, welcome. How do you like the 416?
Im happy with it. Sometimes I think ahh I can handle more recoil. Then it gets my attention on a round or two. I think I'm going to add a receiver sight while working on handloads for it. At some point the rifle may make it's way to AHR for package #2.

Reactions: cls
Welcome from another oilfield hand. Would love to hear about your Legendary Arms 375 H&H. Well known and respected gun maker, Mark Banser is the main guy at Legendary and they bought a Ed Brown designed action that looks interesting.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH, John!

Usually the CZ rifles need a bit of after sales work done to them, if you purchased new. I have the same rifle, and had to have some work done on the feeding. Once you put a bit of money into them, they are excellent.
I am topping mine off with a Vortex Razor Red Dot scope, mainly for our Hippo night hunts, but will work well for the other dangerous game. This will then give our hunters a choice of .375 with conventional scope, or .416 with the reflex scope on it.

The .416 will serve you well.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome from another oilfield hand. Would love to hear about your Legendary Arms 375 H&H. Well known and respected gun maker, Mark Banser is the main guy at Legendary and they bought a Ed Brown designed action that looks interesting.
It's the Big 5 model. The action is smooth for the most part, but it could use some more range time. The trigger is great as well as the stock. The rifle balances well and my 12 year old can shoot it with the muzzle break. Right now I don't have the heart to remove it cause it is fit and finished so well you have to look for the seam. I need to change the sight arrangement. I figure the stock design was meant for primarily optics? I have to really get down on the stock to use the irons which thumps my cheek bone. Not a big deal I will get it sorted out. Scope or not fully capable irons need to be on this rifle.

As for the CZ I have been breaking in the barrel and working the action to smooth it up. It feeds and functions without a hitch so far. Just a bit rough but that was expected. The CZ will probably get a receiver sight and be my primary DG rifle. Thanks all for the warm welcome.

And yes it's cold up here. We are shut down at the moment due to the temps -37 or so ambient.

The Hippo night hunt sounds interesting. Till I came here I thought they were shot out of the river. Land and night hunts sound better to me. I never thought about hunting hippo, but one day at the zoo with my kids the lightbulb went off.

Welcome. Who are you hunting with in Australia? I am seriously considering that same hunt.

Congrats on the .416 purchase!

Welcome. Who are you hunting with in Australia? I am seriously considering that same hunt.
http://www.australiawidesafaris.com.au/
Other members here have hunted there and enjoyed it. There is a post where I asked about this outfitter that has comments and info. One member had a stand offish (my words) type situation.

Thanks, and enjoy those rifles!

For what it's worth I was alittle worried about the words wildlife reserve in the name of the outfit. I inquired before booking, there are no fences animals are free range.

Looking at Australia myself, I'll also check them out

BTW I have been experimenting with Trail Boss powder to control any flinch that could develop with a heavier recoiling rifle. I don't have my 40 cal yet but tried it in an '06 and you could shoot it off of your nose it you so desired. It's neat suff and generates next to no recoil. I was going to mix in some rounds with regular loads to keep me honest.

The 416 and 375 will serve you well sir!

Congrats on the purchases! Stay warm up north, or come down to the Permian Basin to warm up some!

Congrats on the purchases! Stay warm up north, or come down to the Permian Basin to warm up some!
I had a good time down there 2 summers ago. TX is to far to travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg