Hearing protection while hunting

I have Otto electronic ear protection and it was a waste of money. They work, but I’ve had problems with them holding the charge. I just used them on a bear hunt and they crapped out even though they were fully charged. The best ear pro I have found is the Sordin Supremes. I have a pair of Walker electronic muffs, too, and they are close second along with Howard Leight.
 
I have sound gear and have had esp in the past. They work well and are comfortable but I’ve yet to find one that doesn’t drive me nuts on a windy day.

I wish I had been adequately warned in my younger years. Not only dominate hearing loss but the constant ringing is really bad.
 
I agree with Sabre, I can't wear muffs when shooting as the muffs hit the stock and push them away from my ear. I think I will see if sound gear has a return/refund policy if you do not like them, if they do I might try them
 
2nd on Axil. I have both the wired set and wireless. They work well for me but do pick up wind noise. I have some Howard Light's I use at the bench but they just get in the way alot. When I really fon't want to hear I put foam plugs in and muffs on top. I do this at the range with others shooting when I am unaware of their timing.
 
I’ve been using a pair of these for four or five years. Also work well on flights to have a nap or listen to your iPad/iphone without a lot of background noise.


I have three pairs of the Axil ?GS’. One for me and each of my boys purchased on sale. I find them less comfortable and the noise cancelling less effective than the isotunes.

I’ve got a pair of inexpensive Howard Leight Impact in my range bag that I wear with earplugs at the range. Shockingly good for the price.

Some other opinions at https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-shooting-ear-protection/
 
I use the walkers razor electronic muffin in the duck blind. They are great. Amplify sounds and shut off when you shoot. Fairly cheap too

Cheers

503
 
Have a patient who is and audiologist and told him what I needed. He made me a custom pair of electronic muffs for right around $900. They work flawlessly. Best piece of advice he gave me was to never store them with batteries installed.
 
I use the AXIL Extreme 2.0 for hunting
Bluetooth if needed.
Sound amplification.
Blocks the sound at the shot.

I also use the AXIL XCOR use these mostly for competitive shooting.

I have complaints with either of these.
Well the only complaint about the XCOR is they Do not have a find my XCOR feature. I might misplace them occasionally.
 
I use Sound Gear fitted by my Audiologist when I am hunting. I absolutely love them. I can wear them hours at a time and never get irritated or uncomfortable.
Which ones are you using? Phantom? Shield?
 
When I hunt birds, I wear the Otto earplugs. They’re great but I should probably tether them together with a piece is string, because if a cornstalk knocks one out of my ear, that’s an expensive tiny thing that I’ll never find.

For deer, I put a pair of Sordins over my head and when I see one will lower it onto my ears.
 
I’ve been using a pair of these for four or five years. Also work well on flights to have a nap or listen to your iPad/iphone without a lot of background noise.


I have three pairs of the Axil ?GS’. One for me and each of my boys purchased on sale. I find them less comfortable and the noise cancelling less effective than the isotunes.

I’ve got a pair of inexpensive Howard Leight Impact in my range bag that I wear with earplugs at the range. Shockingly good for the price.

Some other opinions at https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-shooting-ear-protection/
Based on your recommendation I bought a pair of the Isotunes Caliber BT. I have the Axil GS but the cord is a pain and my electronic muffs then to ride up. The 60-day return policy was the clincher for me.
 
Based on your recommendation I bought a pair of the Isotunes Caliber BT. I have the Axil GS but the cord is a pain and my electronic muffs then to ride up. The 60-day return policy was the clincher for me.
Let everyone know how you like them - good bad or ugly - but I’m optimistic you’ll be very pleased!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,417
Messages
1,575,604
Members
170,364
Latest member
JaxonSaddl
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top