Gun Room & Trophy Room Done

I’ve been a huge fan of @Red Leg ’s tastes for many years. When my wife and I were planning our decor he was nice enough to send over pictures to a stranger on the Internet and we used that to inspire some of our spaces at our old home and our new one.

Living area should be comfortable, functional, and contain mementos of a family’s stories and experiences. A gun room or game room is no different, it tells a story. The story is better if its not a wall of dead heads as a shrine, but rather that it’s woven into the living space.

At least that’s what I think and it certainly trumps the monotony of 48 white tail heads in a row on a single wall with no room for seating or living.

For that reason, I proclaim @Red Leg ’s aesthetic to be the best I’ve ever seen, far surpassing those books of the “best trophy rooms in the world” that are just bizarre spaces of dead animals. (Is that all the people did, kill things, or did they experience things?)

A few humble attempts of my own that mimic his tastes.

This is our “club room”. It has first deer and other species on the walls from the kids. Art and mementos of travel. Ash trays and barware from the Stork club and the 21 room in NYC where my wife’s grandfather and Ruark were both members. A bar table from Bulawayo. Coasters from game taken in africa. Bottle openers from antlers of the kids deer. Booze from the places we’ve visited. Club seating reminscint of the shooting and golf clubs my wife grew up. A mid-grade Persian rug I saved up to buy when I was in my twenties. Certainly not the best trophies anyone has ever seen (I have some of those in storage collecting dust) but certainly a great place to sit and enjoy the fire with friends, a game of gin, and good friends.

View attachment 518279

P.S (the piles of gun cases in the adjoining room are my incomplete office as we’re still moving in) Here’s the old office and gun library, a humble room with very little space but the same sources of inspiration.
Wonderful spaces Rook! Your place and @Red Leg are inspirations for us all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topforx

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you