Gun case weight

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Joined
Mar 19, 2015
Messages
398
Reaction score
550
Media
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Has anyone traveled with more then two guns in a case. In 2019 we took 3 guns and the case weighed, I believe 52 pounds, and no one said anything. The wife and I are both going to hunt buf, so we are taking 4 rifles. The case weighs right at 60 lbs. just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this. I really don’t want to take 2 cases.
 
Has anyone traveled with more then two guns in a case. In 2019 we took 3 guns and the case weighed, I believe 52 pounds, and no one said anything. The wife and I are both going to hunt buf, so we are taking 4 rifles. The case weighs right at 60 lbs. just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this. I really don’t want to take 2 cases.
4 rifles sounds like a major PITA. No way to share a couple?
 
Another member asked me about a TuffPak. With three soft cased rifles in it: .30/06 (8# 9oz), .375 (8# 10oz) and a .416 Ruger (8# 13oz) it came to 53.6#..
 
Check with your airline. I think delta allows up to 70 lbs a checked bag if you have one of their medallion status levels. If incorrect about bag weight, the added cost can be stiff.
But, 2 cases might be better in the event of one getting lost? (Seems to be rare)
The other benefit of two cases is putting additional stuff in there.
 
Your luggage will be a PITA if you don't break it up into two cases or reduce the number of rifles you are taking. Even a 50# Pelican 1750 with 2 rifles is cumbersome, which is what I have done several times. I've switched to taking just one rifle (or shotgun) for airline travel in a Pelican 1700 case and it's much easier. Travel light because when you are sick and tired of airline travel/food/people, that case is gonna feel like a boat anchor.
 
Thanks for the input. We are going to try to take another case. If we put some other stuff in them I think we can get rid of one of the another bags.
 
Had 3 guns, shooting sticks, and a tripod. Case was 72#s had to pay extra. They let me slide with the weight it should have been under 70, on the way back I made sure it was.
 
Your luggage will be a PITA if you don't break it up into two cases or reduce the number of rifles you are taking. Even a 50# Pelican 1750 with 2 rifles is cumbersome, which is what I have done several times. I've switched to taking just one rifle (or shotgun) for airline travel in a Pelican 1700 case and it's much easier. Travel light because when you are sick and tired of airline travel/food/people, that case is gonna feel like a boat anchor.
I’ll second your opinion of the Peli 1750. Too long, too big. A bitch to get into a car( nigh impossible) difficult in a minibus and worrying in the back of a baccie for a couple of hundred klicos.
In an effort to slim things down after several trips to Namibia with daily laundry my clothing list is minimal. So a Peli 3200 is now much choice.
I rationalised that as you always check zero and functionality on the range before you start hunting there was no reason not to disassemble both rifles.
It works, the Browning A Bolt 375 was spot on. The Rigby 275 needed about 4 rounds to get zeroed. A carryon squeezed a few essentials ( humidor) on also.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,675
Members
170,100
Latest member
catchrepouso1978
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top