Gun case weight

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Has anyone traveled with more then two guns in a case. In 2019 we took 3 guns and the case weighed, I believe 52 pounds, and no one said anything. The wife and I are both going to hunt buf, so we are taking 4 rifles. The case weighs right at 60 lbs. just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this. I really don’t want to take 2 cases.

Has anyone traveled with more then two guns in a case. In 2019 we took 3 guns and the case weighed, I believe 52 pounds, and no one said anything. The wife and I are both going to hunt buf, so we are taking 4 rifles. The case weighs right at 60 lbs. just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this. I really don’t want to take 2 cases.
4 rifles sounds like a major PITA. No way to share a couple?

Another member asked me about a TuffPak. With three soft cased rifles in it: .30/06 (8# 9oz), .375 (8# 10oz) and a .416 Ruger (8# 13oz) it came to 53.6#..

Check with your airline. I think delta allows up to 70 lbs a checked bag if you have one of their medallion status levels. If incorrect about bag weight, the added cost can be stiff.
But, 2 cases might be better in the event of one getting lost? (Seems to be rare)
The other benefit of two cases is putting additional stuff in there.

Your luggage will be a PITA if you don't break it up into two cases or reduce the number of rifles you are taking. Even a 50# Pelican 1750 with 2 rifles is cumbersome, which is what I have done several times. I've switched to taking just one rifle (or shotgun) for airline travel in a Pelican 1700 case and it's much easier. Travel light because when you are sick and tired of airline travel/food/people, that case is gonna feel like a boat anchor.

Thanks for the input. We are going to try to take another case. If we put some other stuff in them I think we can get rid of one of the another bags.

Had 3 guns, shooting sticks, and a tripod. Case was 72#s had to pay extra. They let me slide with the weight it should have been under 70, on the way back I made sure it was.

Your luggage will be a PITA if you don't break it up into two cases or reduce the number of rifles you are taking. Even a 50# Pelican 1750 with 2 rifles is cumbersome, which is what I have done several times. I've switched to taking just one rifle (or shotgun) for airline travel in a Pelican 1700 case and it's much easier. Travel light because when you are sick and tired of airline travel/food/people, that case is gonna feel like a boat anchor.
I’ll second your opinion of the Peli 1750. Too long, too big. A bitch to get into a car( nigh impossible) difficult in a minibus and worrying in the back of a baccie for a couple of hundred klicos.
In an effort to slim things down after several trips to Namibia with daily laundry my clothing list is minimal. So a Peli 3200 is now much choice.
I rationalised that as you always check zero and functionality on the range before you start hunting there was no reason not to disassemble both rifles.
It works, the Browning A Bolt 375 was spot on. The Rigby 275 needed about 4 rounds to get zeroed. A carryon squeezed a few essentials ( humidor) on also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hortense49

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!