halljr

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Hey there, just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I'm Jason, and am going on my first hunt in Africa in less than 2 weeks. I haven't even been hunting in over a decade, but my dad wanted to bring me, my brother, himself and his father on this hunt of a lifetime. I've been deer hunting a couple times as a young teenager, never even had a chance at taking a shot, so this will be my first "real" hunt with a pretty good chance at having some great success.

We're going through African Sky Hunting outfitter, and doing a 10 day Plains Game hunt, going for Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, and Impala. I'll be taking my Tikka T3 Lite .300 WSM with me, which I've become pretty comfortable with over the last few months.

I've been around this site, reading a lot of threads and articles here, so thanks for the knowledge I've already picked up. I'm planning on keeping a detailed journal and plenty of pics and videos, so I'll be able to come up with a pretty good hunting report upon our return, I hope!

Happy to be a part of the board, and look forward to learning even more, and sharing my experience.

Jason

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Welcome Jason, you are going on a adventure of a lifetime. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Welcome to AH Jason be sure to checkout the SHOT placement Gallery for the animals that you plan to take and I assure you YOUR IN FOR A TREAT theres nothing like Africa. Good Luck on your Hunt.

halljr

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Thanks enysse! I forgot to mention we're hunting in South Africa, Bushveld and at Kruger. Can't wait!

Oh and Bob, yeah I've been looking at shot placement guides forever now, I think I got a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. Thank you

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Welcome to AH Jason! Have an amazing time in Africa, looking forward to hearing from you when you get back and seeing some of your pictures.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Jason, have a great trip. You sound like you are prepared to share that incredible experience you will have. The whole family out hunting should be a lot of fun.
Good luck with your first "real" hunt.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Welcome Jason,

have a good time and let the day flow with you...take some additional money for unexpected trophy occurrences...they do take place...your rifle will be a good match for plains game...

take all the picture you can and then take some more...if you have a chance to take your computer with you, you should be able to look at your pictures right away and see what changes you need to make to take better pictures tomorrow. You should see if you could have a camerman take video of your group, we have some on this forum that do a great job...

The trophies you have on your card are very good, however you will see many additional species and be prepaired to make a move on some of them...again take some additional money along for trophies fees.

You have time to look up the web sight for the hunting block to see what else is available to hunt...do it today...then fantasize some...

Hey there, just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I'm Jason, and am going on my first hunt in Africa in less than 2 weeks. I haven't even been hunting in over a decade, but my dad wanted to bring me, my brother, himself and his father on this hunt of a lifetime. I've been deer hunting a couple times as a young teenager, never even had a chance at taking a shot, so this will be my first "real" hunt with a pretty good chance at having some great success.

We're going through African Sky Hunting outfitter, and doing a 10 day Plains Game hunt, going for Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, and Impala. I'll be taking my Tikka T3 Lite .300 WSM with me, which I've become pretty comfortable with over the last few months.

I've been around this site, reading a lot of threads and articles here, so thanks for the knowledge I've already picked up. I'm planning on keeping a detailed journal and plenty of pics and videos, so I'll be able to come up with a pretty good hunting report upon our return, I hope!

Happy to be a part of the board, and look forward to learning even more, and sharing my experience.

Jason

WST416

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI, Member of Denver SCI chapter, DU
Hunted
US,Canada,Argentina,Botswana,South Africa
Welcome Jason. Have a great time on your trip. Africa makes for great memories, but doing it with your family like this will make it that much more special in the years to come. Congrats!

halljr

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Thanks all, I honestly couldn't be more excited about it!

James, I'm planning on taking TONS of pictures, and also bringing along a couple of Flip video cameras so that I'll be able to edit together a decent video. I can't imagine all of the different species that are going to present themselves. I'm not going for the trophy's per se, I just "need" this experience ya know? Don't worry, I won't disappoint with a lame hunting report either ;)

JNHall

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa (trip # 2 3/18/2013)
I got a fever, and the only prescription is Kudu!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Welcome halljr and good luck on your first safari. Enjoy every moment! What part of Arizona are you from?

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
halljr, You wont believe how neat a place Africa is! Try all the different game meats, all are great, some better than others but all are excellent. Kudu steaks off an open fire is hard to beat. Good luck, have fun and take lots of pictures.

ndbwhnter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Sounds like you guys are going to have a good time. Have fun!

nd

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Now Eland and Impala were great, i wished i could have brought some home...cape buffalo was good however not as tasty as the I & E,

halljr, You wont believe how neat a place Africa is! Try all the different game meats, all are great, some better than others but all are excellent. Kudu steaks off an open fire is hard to beat. Good luck, have fun and take lots of pictures.

fhm3006

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia / South-Africa
Jason, your exitement is evident and you have all the reason to be like a turbo-charged frog now.
I cannot promise you anything but...you will be sad to leave - given !

Seeing forward to your feedback!

PS: with all the excitement and preps - do NOT forget to take your rifle with (no really!!!)

Mother Africa is calling.....

halljr

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Phil, I'm out in Gilbert.

Looking forward to eating anything and everything I can out there. Kudu steaks...I can taste it now!

FHM, I won't forget it. I'm sure it's happened quite often actually, how upsetting would that be?!

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
I'm not going for the trophy's per se, I just "need" this experience ya know? Don't worry, I won't disappoint with a lame hunting report either ;)

Welcome to the forum, Jason, I like your attitude, you will certainly enjoy yourself !

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Phil, I'm out in Gilbert.

Excellent, we're practically neighbors. I actually live in Chandler, near McQueen and Riggs.

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
I got a fever, and the only prescription is Kudu!

You need to give me the name of your doctor. Mine just prescribes penacilin and thats not nearly as much fun to take!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FaustoMcGa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?