Greeting from Virginia (U.S.) - NEW here..just joined

Welcome to AH.

Fredericksburg....the hottest most humid place on Earth (North of the Amazon)
I’ll put Sumter SC up against Fredericksburg any day. I break out in a sweat just thinking about it. I have family outside of Harrisonburg and both of my parents are from Virginia, Waynesboro and New Market.

Happy to give feedback on my hunts but Tanzania was 2006/17 years ago and Alaska 2009 - not sure how relevant or helpful my info would be? For the $$ - Africa yielded more action, saw game multiple times everyday, we were always “on” something. Buffalo were plentiful and we saw herds daily, trophy quality was ok but certainly not if you wanted over 38”...still numerous old heavy bossed bulls. Plains game quality was less, only saw Zebra once, Wildebeest once, waterbucks once, no kudu, but since I never took any African game - it was not a disappointment for me...Alaska was a One & Done - Spring Griz hunt, 5’ of snow on the ground, never left camp for first 6 days then had one bear spotted, snow mobile 10 miles, sit-wait-spot-stalk-shoot=Done! The Outfitter delivered, scenery was spectacular, tented accommodations were comfortable especially for the temp ranges -5 F at night up to 70 one day. I got a good bear 8’5” - but it was Not exciting, at least Not for me, the end was “too easy” - like a shooting a 500lb. Hamster....odd to complain about a successful hunt and I’m happy I tagged out. I’d go again but to either Kodiak or the Peninsula and would never do a Spring hunt again —- Fall Hunts allow more bear to be seen and other game as well.

Hank,

Thanks for posting that.
I enjoyed it.
And Alaska ya, I live here but have quit hunting in this state, except small game and fowl.
Although, I really would enjoy one more hunt here for black tailed deer, I’m just getting too old to abide in our weather, unless it’s in a warm cabin or large enough boat to get warmed up after being out in the elements all day.

After 20+ big game hunts in Alaska, I grew weary of glassing and hoping, day after day, while it rained and snowed sideways, only to usually return empty handed, to a cold wet tent every night.
Now, I’d prefer a heated cabin or live aboard size heated boat, otherwise no thanks. LoL

Africa caught my eye 20 or so years ago and I’m still in love.

Cheers,
Paul.

Welcome to AH. IMO there is no better place to socialize with and learn from other hunters than here on AH. I do hope you will be able to go to Africa again and use that nice double you have.

Welcome to AH. IMO there is no better place to socialize with and learn from other hunters than here on AH. I do hope you will be able to go to Africa again and use that nice double you have.
I would love to return to Africa and take a Buff or Elephant - but doubt I can scratch up the $$ to do the trip “right”. I never got the use out of the double .470NE that I thought I would but just like looking at that Chapuis everytime I take it out of the safe for a cleaning - brings me some joy. As a “lefty” I was only able to afford LH guns as I got older, now my children are all Right handed so it’s not gonna get any real use. Although I shot that double well on targets and during practice - both off hand and off the “sticks”....I was not very good with it when it mattered (on Buffalo) and would’ve done better with my .375 H&H....and boy it hurts to have to admit that ! I was so desperate to use the gun that I shot a deer with it a few years later and even took on black bear hunts in Maine - but never had a bear come in.

Looking forward to learning from other hunters and hearing about their experiences - happy to share mine as well. I started hunting in NJ at 14 - rabbits/quail/pheasant and later got a boat for Duck hunting. Around age 20 I added deer (with no success) but things started to improved when I added Bow Hunting - learned more, got better, made fewer mistakes. Added hunting dogs and that helped me learn even more and added another component and made me want to get out more often “for the dog”....got me to travel to other States too. Once I had some extra $$ - booked guided hunts for bear/Maine, Deer/Alabama, WY, IL, NY then Elk/MT, NM, and one trip for Griz/Alaska, one more to Tanzania Buff & Plains game. Travel less now and enjoy Do-it-myself. Still have a lot to learn but enjoy the process and have Never had a bad day in the woods !
Welcome to AH from rural Idaho! Sue

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH from rural Idaho! Sue
Thanks Sue - like Idaho and went there twice to hunt cats (MT Lion) down in the Salmon River Valley...friend got nice Tom on our 2nd attempt. We were there in January both years, saw decent amount of game and lots of Wolf tracks everyday (never saw or heard a wolf)...got the clear impression from our guides that there’s no love for the wolves and was told both moose and elk herds declined after their reintroduction.

I would love to return to Africa and take a Buff or Elephant - but doubt I can scratch up the $$ to do the trip “right”. I never got the use out of the double .470NE that I thought I would but just like looking at that Chapuis everytime I take it out of the safe for a cleaning - brings me some joy. As a “lefty” I was only able to afford LH guns as I got older, now my children are all Right handed so it’s not gonna get any real use. Although I shot that double well on targets and during practice - both off hand and off the “sticks”....I was not very good with it when it mattered (on Buffalo) and would’ve done better with my .375 H&H....and boy it hurts to have to admit that ! I was so desperate to use the gun that I shot a deer with it a few years later and even took on black bear hunts in Maine - but never had a bear come in.

Hello again Hank,

Everyone, all of everyone, misses now and then.

Anyway, don’t sell at double, unless you have to sell everything else first.
I have owned 4 double rifles, all SxS type.
Merkel, caliber .375 H&H Belted / Rimless Magnum.
Army & Navy (probably made by J. Manton, London / Calcutta), caliber .450 No2 NE.
Henry Adkin (Scotland), caliber .275 NE Flanged (aka: 7x57R).
Heym 88B, caliber .458 Winchester Magnum.

I wish I could’ve afforded to never sell any of them, yet continue hunting over seas.
But alas, I sold each to help pay for my 6 hunting trips to Africa.

I shot 9 so called “plains game” with the Merkel .375 and Hornady 300 grain RNSP.

I shot the buffalo in my avatar with the A&N .450 No2 plus, I forgot how many “plains game” with it.

Strangely enough, the buffalo slammed right down, with a face-on brisket shot (480 gr flat nosed soft ~ dreaded original Hornady DGS @ about 2050 fps).
But, a Burchell’s zebra stallion took the exact same load, slap bang on the shoulder chevron.
He only staggered and then bolted on three legs, sprinting about 50 yards, until smashing into a tree trunk and falling dead.
My bullet was recovered just under the skin, far side of the impressive old donkey, barely behind the off side armpit.

Sadly, I did not get the chance to hunt with the other two doubles.
Today I have no double rifle, only a SxS shotgun, 12 bore, 3”.
It is fit with rifle sights and the last few inches of the formerly 30” barrels cut off, effectively removing the chokes.

It’s a heavy Spanish duck gun, with cheek piece stock and two triggers.
The barrels are now about 26” and print Brenneke slugs close together at 50 paces.

I would love to own another real double rifle.
It’d be a SxS in .303 British caliber.
But at this stage of my life, it does not look hopeful, especially since none of the “affordable” doubles being made today are chambered in that historic caliber.

Blah blah blah whatever.:ROFLMAO:

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Hello again Hank,

Everyone, all of everyone, misses now and then.

Anyway, don’t sell at double, unless you have to sell everything else first.
I have owned 4 double rifles, all SxS type.
Merkel, caliber .375 H&H Belted / Rimless Magnum.
Army & Navy (probably made by J. Manton, London / Calcutta), caliber .450 No2 NE.
Henry Adkin (Scotland), caliber .275 NE Flanged (aka: 7x57R).
Heym 88B, caliber .458 Winchester Magnum.

I wish I could’ve afforded to never sell any of them, yet continue hunting over seas.
But alas, I sold each to help pay for my 6 hunting trips to Africa.

I shot 9 so called “plains game” with the Merkel .375 and Hornady 300 grain RNSP.

I shot the buffalo in my avatar with the A&N .450 No2 plus, I forgot how many “plains game” with it.

Strangely enough, the buffalo slammed right down, with a face-on brisket shot (480 gr flat nosed soft ~ dreaded original Hornady DGS @ about 2050 fps).
But, a Burchell’s zebra stallion took the exact same load, slap bang on the shoulder chevron.
He only staggered and then bolted on three legs, sprinting about 50 yards, until smashing into a tree trunk and falling dead.
My bullet was recovered just under the skin, far side of the impressive old donkey, barely behind the off side armpit.

Sadly, I did not get the chance to hunt with the other two doubles.
Today I have no double rifle, only a SxS shotgun, 12 bore, 3”.
It is fit with rifle sights and the last few inches of the formerly 30” barrels cut off, effectively removing the chokes.

It’s a heavy Spanish duck gun, with cheek piece stock and two triggers.
The barrels are now about 26” and print Brenneke slugs close together at 50 paces.

I would love to own another real double rifle.
It’d be a SxS in .303 British caliber.
But at this stage of my life, it does not look hopeful, especially since none of the “affordable” doubles being made today are chambered in that historic caliber.

Blah blah blah whatever.:ROFLMAO:

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Velo Dog - enjoyed your post and hunting stories, I am always very hesitant to sell a gun and think I’ve only sold 2 in my lifetime, figure they will never get “stale”. I might even shoot that Chapuis .470NE better now - had recoil suppressor installed and I don’t practice at all so “no flinch”. I never missed a buffalo - worse “wounded” & lost 2. One was a frontal brisket shot @ 75 yrds., good Buffalo in a herd of 50 others. My shot knocked him down in tall grass, the rest of the herd ran off...as we walked up looking for him - he jumped up 30 feet behind me, as I raised rifle to finish him PH yelled “don’t shoot” and he ran off. PH later told me he wasn’t sure it was the same buffalo. That was my only reasonable chance to finish him. We tracked him for 6 hours and several miles - jumping him twice in heavy bush where we couldn’t see 50 feet, I once had a quick off hand standing shot at 125 yds. that we couldn’t tell if I hit or missed (I think I missed) but we never found him. When we got back to the truck one of the staff said the buff walked past the truck hours earlier - badly hurt, head down. We returned next day expecting buzzards to find the buff for us but never did. Back in camp I checked the open sights on my .470NE and put 2 bullets in a 2” circle at 50 yrds off the sticks, then mounted detachable scope and put 2 more in bullseye at 75 yrds —— it wasn’t the gun, the problem was ME. Later in the week I passed several old buffalo with good boss but narrow 32” range - easy standing shots at 30 yrds - but I didn’t want just any buffalo (stupid decision on my part). Later in the Hunt I shot a Nyasa Wildebeest at 340 yrds and impala at 280....with my custom Sako .30-06, both off the sticks and clean quick harvests. Now, heres the “hint” that you are Not shooting your big double rifle well - when your PH says “you shoot that .30-06 really good - why don’t you take the next buffalo with that: Head shot !”. He was right, I just wasn’t good enough with that double .470NE under real hunting conditions, I didn’t feel that “excited” when I shot my buffalo but must’ve been just “enough” to cause me to flinch....tough to admitt even 15 years later.

Thanks Sue - like Idaho and went there twice to hunt cats (MT Lion) down in the Salmon River Valley...friend got nice Tom on our 2nd attempt. We were there in January both years, saw decent amount of game and lots of Wolf tracks everyday (never saw or heard a wolf)...got the clear impression from our guides that there’s no love for the wolves and was told both moose and elk herds declined after their reintroduction.
HI Hank, heck you might have been right near me! My husband has killed two mountain lions, one less than 1/2 mile from our home. We had actually just got back from Tanzania the day before and Rick was looking out our front window into the pastures for game as he does each morning. Lo and behold, he saw a mountain lion stalking his Mom's cattle. He quickly hiked over and belly crawled until he had a shot. The other mountain lion ALMOST got him when he was 16. It is quite the story. Anyway, we live just 7 miles above the Salmon River near Cottonwood Idaho.

Also, you are correct. The wolves are NOT loved around here. They have been devastating to the moose and elk herds. We have seen them on multiple occasions in the backcountry but they are like ghosts in the wind! They appear out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly. Rick hasn't been able to fill that tag yet. I hate to admit this but I was actually a wolf advocate in my 20's (I'm a non-hunter) .....then I married smack dab into the middle of wolf country (from western PA). I got my eyes opened. I arrived just as they were introduced and sadly watch the devastation that they caused as elk sign in the mountains was replaced by wolf scat full of elk hair. Now I feel awful for supporting something that I really new nothing about.....but it was a great lesson for me.

Welcome welcome welcome

Welcome aboard HankBuck. From the sound of things, you are like the majority of us. I'm sure you will enjoy the site and spend many happy hours reliving your experiences while reading about what others have to say about their planned and or past hunts.

HI Hank, heck you might have been right near me! My husband has killed two mountain lions, one less than 1/2 mile from our home. We had actually just got back from Tanzania the day before and Rick was looking out our front window into the pastures for game as he does each morning. Lo and behold, he saw a mountain lion stalking his Mom's cattle. He quickly hiked over and belly crawled until he had a shot. The other mountain lion ALMOST got him when he was 16. It is quite the story. Anyway, we live just 7 miles above the Salmon River near Cottonwood Idaho.

Also, you are correct. The wolves are NOT loved around here. They have been devastating to the moose and elk herds. We have seen them on multiple occasions in the backcountry but they are like ghosts in the wind! They appear out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly. Rick hasn't been able to fill that tag yet. I hate to admit this but I was actually a wolf advocate in my 20's (I'm a non-hunter) .....then I married smack dab into the middle of wolf country (from western PA). I got my eyes opened. I arrived just as they were introduced and sadly watch the devastation that they caused as elk sign in the mountains was replaced by wolf scat full of elk hair. Now I feel awful for supporting something that I really new nothing about.....but it was a great lesson for me.
Sue, I think we flew in to “Riggins” ID then drove a few hours to Salmon River area - beautiful country. Regarding the Wolves, I don’t see how anyone could fully understand them unless they lived around them or studied them because most media reports only a positive “Walt Disney” type of animal. I agree they belong and are a part of our eco system but think the negative aspect must also be accurately reported. Anyway, like Idaho, those steep hill and mountain sides will keep a person in shape !!

Welcome fellow Virginian! I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of SW VA and now reside in Oregon. This is an excellent resource of good, likeminded people, with heaps of knowledge and experience, sounds like you will fit in nicely.

Here in Central Oregon, wolves have been reintroduced and are starting to make their presence known but the real problem so far is the out of control lions! Can't hunt mountain lions with dogs in this state and they are decimating the mule deer and elk populations. Too many smooth brained, bleeding heart types that vote with emotion and not logic and reason.

Welcome fellow Virginian! I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of SW VA and now reside in Oregon. This is an excellent resource of good, likeminded people, with heaps of knowledge and experience, sounds like you will fit in nicely.

Here in Central Oregon, wolves have been reintroduced and are starting to make their presence known but the real problem so far is the out of control lions! Can't hunt mountain lions with dogs in this state and they are decimating the mule deer and elk populations. Too many smooth brained, bleeding heart types that vote with emotion and not logic and reason.
Sadly, cougars fall pretty much under the same category as wolves. Most people just can't understand why they need to be harvested and managed like other species. We also have a lot here in Idaho...but I think they can still use dogs at this point. The two my husband got were a bit of luck and skill mixed in I guess...since he wasn't actually on a cougar hunt either time. One was stalking his Mom's cattle and he saw it with glasses from a distance. The other he chanced upon while in the backcountry.

Sadly, cougars fall pretty much under the same category as wolves. Most people just can't understand why they need to be harvested and managed like other species. We also have a lot here in Idaho...but I think they can still use dogs at this point. The two my husband got were a bit of luck and skill mixed in I guess...since he wasn't actually on a cougar hunt either time. One was stalking his Mom's cattle and he saw it with glasses from a distance. The other he chanced upon while in the backcountry.
I am still looking forward to my first cougar, they are around but difficult to hunt well.

Velo Dog - enjoyed your post and hunting stories, I am always very hesitant to sell a gun and think I’ve only sold 2 in my lifetime, figure they will never get “stale”. I might even shoot that Chapuis .470NE better now - had recoil suppressor installed and I don’t practice at all so “no flinch”. I never missed a buffalo - worse “wounded” & lost 2. One was a frontal brisket shot @ 75 yrds., good Buffalo in a herd of 50 others. My shot knocked him down in tall grass, the rest of the herd ran off...as we walked up looking for him - he jumped up 30 feet behind me, as I raised rifle to finish him PH yelled “don’t shoot” and he ran off. PH later told me he wasn’t sure it was the same buffalo. That was my only reasonable chance to finish him. We tracked him for 6 hours and several miles - jumping him twice in heavy bush where we couldn’t see 50 feet, I once had a quick off hand standing shot at 125 yds. that we couldn’t tell if I hit or missed (I think I missed) but we never found him. When we got back to the truck one of the staff said the buff walked past the truck hours earlier - badly hurt, head down. We returned next day expecting buzzards to find the buff for us but never did. Back in camp I checked the open sights on my .470NE and put 2 bullets in a 2” circle at 50 yrds off the sticks, then mounted detachable scope and put 2 more in bullseye at 75 yrds —— it wasn’t the gun, the problem was ME. Later in the week I passed several old buffalo with good boss but narrow 32” range - easy standing shots at 30 yrds - but I didn’t want just any buffalo (stupid decision on my part). Later in the Hunt I shot a Nyasa Wildebeest at 340 yrds and impala at 280....with my custom Sako .30-06, both off the sticks and clean quick harvests. Now, heres the “hint” that you are Not shooting your big double rifle well - when your PH says “you shoot that .30-06 really good - why don’t you take the next buffalo with that: Head shot !”. He was right, I just wasn’t good enough with that double .470NE under real hunting conditions, I didn’t feel that “excited” when I shot my buffalo but must’ve been just “enough” to cause me to flinch....tough to admitt even 15 years later.
Hi again HankBuck,

Man the buffalo story is a heart breaker.
But at least you are honest about it, especially to yourself.
Many people in the world today are not.
It is good that you stayed in the game and are now a member of the world’s greatest forum.

What type of recoil suppressor is installed in your .470 double ?
One of my friends put two mercury tubes in the buttstock of his Ruger #1 which has been rechambered from .458 Winchester to .450 No2 NE.
It still kicks like an ox but, last time we went to the range together, he was shooting some “warm” hand loads …….. I declined to shoot it.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!