Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
A Plan/Dream Finally Realized...
I’ve been saying for years that one of these days I’m going to have my ONE ultimate rifle for Africa to go anywhere and do everything. And for a while the “place holder” was a .375 H&H, which is pretty darn hard to beat as a “do everything” cartridge when loaded with the appropriate projectiles. But I really wanted something a bit more special in the way of a rifle and with a little more horsepower in the hopes that I will hunt elephant again one of these days soon. And while I am perfectly happy hunting buffalo with a .375, I’m not going to complain about a little more ooomph for them either.
I really didn’t want to step up too much in the weight and recoil department from the .375 H&H, bearing in mind this was to be an “everything” rifle, Duiker to Tusker. What to do?

Here’s what I ended up with and so far I’m thrilled with the result :)
1673321344302.jpeg

1673321404667.jpeg

Granite Mountain Arms Double Square Bridge Mauser Action, Krieger Barrel with integral island sights and sling swivel, custom english walnut stock w/14” LOP, Smithson QD mounts and Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42 scope.
Load development resulted in virtually no development at all! I knew what bullets I wanted to use, I just wasn’t sure if the softs and solids were going to have a reasonably close point of impact and how much “tweaking” was going to be required. Turns out, none!
Initially I loaded 82.0 gr of H-4350 with 400 gr A-Frames and 400 gr CEB brass Solids. The results were great! Groups right out of the chute were tight and velocity was about what I expected from the A-Frames but I really thought I was going to have to go up a bit with the CEB’s based on previous experience. Nope the solids were printing right where the A-Frames were and average velocity was a bit higher than the A-Frames.
Recoil is a bit more than the .375 but very manageable, even off the bench. The rifle weighs 9.9 pounds bare, and 10.8 pounds with scope and mounts.

Here’s my final group - a composite 4 shot group with 2 A-Frames and 2 CEB Solids at 100 yards.
1673322729623.jpeg

So in the wise words of my shooting buddy, throw that thing in a hard case, load up some ammo and let’s go hunting!
Time to book a hunt and send off a deposit I guess :)

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing

Very nice, congrats!

Thanks guys for the kind words.
A shout out to @Mark Biggerstaff and R&M Firearms who I purchased the scope from. Thank you Mark! As always, a pleasure doing business with you.
Also MNR Custom. Matt did a wonderful job on this rifle and was a pleasure to work with. If you are looking for a custom build Matt will do a beautiful job for you. The rifle was delivered right on time and exactly as requested. Thank you Matt!

Gorgeous wood and nice grouping.

IdaRam,

Congratulations, you should be thrilled. It is always a day of days when we finally, after all the hard work, money and waiting, receive our dream Rifle. Looks like you have a great one.

JP

That is for sure a stud of a rifle Dan. Am Happy for you. I have had my RSM .404 for about six years now. And I doubt seriously that I will never sell it unless I am starving!!! I shoot 400 grain Barnes TSX if hunting. And it is without a doubt devastating. Not sure I can group at 100 as you can, but I am sure it will shoot better than I can shoot. PS, am pretty sure I will never hunt elephant either. Good luck to whatever you decide to chase. Congratulations.

Looks great and shoots as good as it looks. We have an elephant waiting for you and your .404j will have good company with the other .404j's that we use. What power and reticle is the Swarovski?

This is a great looking rifle, in a great cartridge with one of my all time preferred scopes. Very nice package indeed. Now stop posting and get onto booking a hunt! ;) this rifle breathes Africa!

The fiddleback and figure while maintaining a straight grain in the timber is amazing. A real gem of a blank was picked out. The fancy crossbolt cap is a nice touch as well...elegant without being extravagant. Congratulations on a beautiful (and accurate) rifle.

That’s a fantastic rifle, there was a whole bunch of good stuff in that collection. I’m honestly a bit jealous, you were on the phone with Matt buying that rifle while I was leaving him a voice mail about it. Of course I had a plan b, I bought the Dennis Olson gma 416 rigby,…

couldn’t agree more about Matt, it’s good to see a younger guy build success in the rifle market, he’s truly talented.
Did Matt do the Smithson mounts? I had him machine talleys in the bridges of mine.

Wow, a good-looking rifle and great setup.
I had the same results with 82.0gr H4340
My Swift A frames and Woodleigh Hydro shooting at the same point of impact. The Hydro's cutting one another. Getting the same results with my 9,3 x 62 using the same combo.
Enjoy the rifle and take it hunting

Looks great and shoots as good as it looks. We have an elephant waiting for you and your .404j will have good company with the other .404j's that we use. What power and reticle is the Swarovski?
Thank you Lon, I know you have a love of the old 404 :)
The reticle is the 4Ai
1673365689217.jpeg

The fiddleback and figure while maintaining a straight grain in the timber is amazing. A real gem of a blank was picked out. The fancy crossbolt cap is a nice touch as well...elegant without being extravagant. Congratulations on a beautiful (and accurate) rifle.
Thank you @BeeMaa I felt the same way especially after I got to see it in person.

That’s a fantastic rifle, there was a whole bunch of good stuff in that collection. I’m honestly a bit jealous, you were on the phone with Matt buying that rifle while I was leaving him a voice mail about it. Of course I had a plan b, I bought the Dennis Olson gma 416 rigby,…

couldn’t agree more about Matt, it’s good to see a younger guy build success in the rifle market, he’s truly talented.
Did Matt do the Smithson mounts? I had him machine talleys in the bridges of mine.
Wow! Guess it’s a good thing I didn’t dilly-dally :giggle: But it sounds like it worked out great for you as well. That Dennis Olson .416 Rigby is a work of art by an outstanding builder. Congrats to you on that purchase, would love to see and hear more as you get some rounds down range.
Yes, Matt machined the bridges for the Smithson mounts.
He also regulated the open sights for my ammo, did final feed work to ensure the CEB Solids feed perfectly, which they do, fit and rounded the recoil pad, mounted up and zeroed the scope, and reblued everything.

That is for sure a stud of a rifle Dan. Am Happy for you. I have had my RSM .404 for about six years now. And I doubt seriously that I will never sell it unless I am starving!!! I shoot 400 grain Barnes TSX if hunting. And it is without a doubt devastating. Not sure I can group at 100 as you can, but I am sure it will shoot better than I can shoot. PS, am pretty sure I will never hunt elephant either. Good luck to whatever you decide to chase. Congratulations.
Thanks Dave, I’m proud to be one of the newest members of the 404 club :giggle:

Great looking rifle and shoots great. What else could anyone ask for? Congratulations. Now, for first blood! ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you