Good Evening

noyb72

AH member
Reaction score
Good evening,
Name is Ron, and I'm from the Olympic Peninsula. I've been on and off of here for the last couple years. Decided to join due to a new job that doesn't involve living in a steel tube under water and should get me back in Africa in a couple years. Been killing my own food since before I can remember, more from the ocean than anywhere else.

I went to Africa for a week about 10 years ago to settle my father in law's affairs and was able to get someone to loan me a 25-06 and killed a wart hog and a springbok. Looking forward to having the opportunity to go after more antelope and plains game.

Looking forward to continuing the conversations.

Ron Jones

Welcome Ron … a very good place to help get you back to Africa & beyond.

Welcome to AH @noyb72 , and thank you for your service in those under water metal pipes! :D

They were looking something like this, I suppose?
1640156480331.png

I have to tell you Ron... I read your heading in Alfred Hitchcock's voice.

Welcome aboard sir. :A Happy Wave:

Gidat Ron and welcome to the A H forums

Hello, thank you and welcome.

Glad to have you topside, Welcome to AH.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to AH Ron!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. While the various boats I served on didn't look like VertigoBEE's picture, we occasionally acted like they did!

Good evening,
Name is Ron, and I'm from the Olympic Peninsula. I've been on and off of here for the last couple years. Decided to join due to a new job that doesn't involve living in a steel tube under water and should get me back in Africa in a couple years. Been killing my own food since before I can remember, more from the ocean than anywhere else.

I went to Africa for a week about 10 years ago to settle my father in law's affairs and was able to get someone to loan me a 25-06 and killed a wart hog and a springbok. Looking forward to having the opportunity to go after more antelope and plains game.

Looking forward to continuing the conversations.

Ron Jones

Welcome to AH! I was once a civilian nuke working at NRF in Idaho. Perhaps you spent a few months there?

Nice to meet you Phoenix Phil. As it happens, I was pushed around by Nukes while I did the real work :). Never had occasion to make it to NRF Idaho. I do appreciate your service to keeping me and mine safe!

Nice to meet you Phoenix Phil. As it happens, I was pushed around by Nukes while I did the real work :). Never had occasion to make it to NRF Idaho. I do appreciate your service to keeping me and mine safe!

Thanks, but I was just a civilian, punching bag for the sailors, but it was all good.

Welcome aboard!

Hi Ron, welcome to AH !

Ron, welcome to the AH forum! You need to get yourself back to Africa. This is an excellent place to get you motivated.

Welcome to AH Ron. Thank you for your service. I hope you fulfill your desire to return to Africa.

Welcome aboard noyb72. Again, thank you for your service. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted previously, what kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload. Do you have any near-term plans to hunt Africa? If so, what where and when?

I grew up hunting upland game in the Imperial valley of California. Dove, quail etc. I hunt deer and black bear regularly and next year will add elk to the list. I have a young golden retriever, and we will start bringing ducks home in a couple weeks (my wife says we sent him off to military school.)

I reloaded a considerable amount as a child, and am in the process of acquiring what will be needed to begin again.

I am a certified gun nut, and enjoy firearms as much as hunting. I have a nostalgic side that makes me long for Holland & Holland and Westley Richards (extended magazine, super rebated rim and all.) I am also a tech nut and so the efficient new cartridges interest me but probably not enough to play with them for a good bit. I love Mausers, especially small rings (just to be different.) I have about a dozen surplus rifles that I had planned on sporterizing, but their value has increased so much in 20 years that it seems better to sell the ones I don't want and buy a commercial gun to update.

My go to rifle is a plain vanilla 30 year old Savage 110 in 30-06, walnut stained hardwood stock and blind magazine no less. It was the last gun my grandfather and I bought together. It's chamber has seen better days, and I keep telling myself that it should become an Ackley (Ackley made gifts for modern nostalgics who like efficiency,) but I will probably just keep shooting it because I can't bring myself to change it. My next rifle project will be a series of these with custom barrels chambered for "improved" 30-06 cases; .25, .28, 8mm (or .338 depending on the day,) 35, 38, and 400 Whelan (I have read everything Petrov wrote on the subject.) The thing I find frustrating about all of them is that every reamer is just a bit different, so I'm thinking I will start with the 400 with a replaceable pilot and make the 38, 35, and 8mm the exact same. The smaller calibers will get fast twist barrels as I see no reason to use anything but very high sectional density bullets with the best ballistic coefficient possible depending on required bullet construction (just the efficiency nut in me.) One last rifle will be in .375 Ruger, for Africa (even though I have full faith that the 400 cold kill anything short of a blue whale.)

My plan is to be in Africa no later than 25, hopefully 24. It all depends on timing and other trips that may come available. I am a meat hunter more than anything; and my wife, who grew up in Durban and has family in Cape Town, has introduced me to several amazing dishes from antelope. My first "real" trip will be all about plains and bushveld game. I would love to acquire a 270 Sabi and crawl through the thorn bushes with it but that will have to wait for a few more years. I love reading the classics concerning the "Big 5," but am confident that I will leave most of them to others who need the adrenaline. One exception is Cape Buffalo, when my wife and I were dating she introduced me to several South African writers who seem to insist that Cape Buffalo filet makes the best biltong. I find that hard to believe, as wildebeest biltong is life changing, but I have to find out.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!