Giraffe with 9.3x62

Dbrown4183

AH member
Reaction score
Media
My son and I are going to South Africa next April. I am planning to use my CZ550 in 9.3x62. Developing loads for this purpose I am considering using the 250 gr Barnes TTSX bullet. I have used 286 gr Woodleigh RNSN in the past for other game. My long winded question is do any of you who have experience with Giraffe think the 250 gr Barnes will be good or will it be too light for this purpose?

For a heart/lung shot you need penetration. Barnes usually excels at that. I would think it is much better than a Woodliegh soft.

Shot mine with a 525 grain barns TSX. Too quite dramatic effect ;)

TTSX is a poor choice for giraffe, even with a 40cal or larger I won't use anything but solids!
They are tough especially if the get some adrenaline going (with they do frequently). I shot a nice
alpha bull 2 months ago who was beating up on other giraffe and anything else that he could.
It took good hits with a 470NE with 500gr A-frames before he was down! The same load in my 470 had no issues with 2 buffalo (40" plus) and a hugh Eland! If I take one month giraffe it will be with a
40 cal or bigger with solids!
My experience with TTSX is the poorest for big solid game of all the Berger bullets

My daughter’s giraffe. She used a 308 with 168 grain TTSX.

43917095-62CA-4102-96F9-A4F1C849D4F8.jpeg

TTSX is a poor choice for giraffe, even with a 40cal or larger I won't use anything but solids!
They are tough especially if the get some adrenaline going (with they do frequently). I shot a nice
alpha bull 2 months ago who was beating up on other giraffe and anything else that he could.
It took good hits with a 470NE with 500gr A-frames before he was down! The same load in my 470 had no issues with 2 buffalo (40" plus) and a hugh Eland! If I take one month giraffe it will be with a
40 cal or bigger with solids!
My experience with TTSX is the poorest for big solid game of all the Berger bullets
You mean Barnes.....

Full magazine of solid's and keep shooting

My daughter’s giraffe. She used a 308 with 168 grain TTSX.

View attachment 419449
@Nomsag that is a beautiful, dark giraffe. Where was it taken? Plans for the hide?
Did she use a neck shot?
My son used a .270 win with 130 grain barnes and a neck shot.
I have used a 7mm Rem Mag (body shots).

@Nomsag that is a beautiful, dark giraffe. Where was it taken? Plans for the hide?
Did she use a neck shot?
My son used a .270 win with 130 grain barnes and a neck shot.
I have used a 7mm Rem Mag (body shots).
Heart and lung shot. We hunted in Limpopo with @DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS . She wanted a shoulder mount, plus getting a nice rug from remaining hide.

Giraffe are big animals unless you shoot brain or neck they will just not fall over no matter what calibre your load of Woodeligh should be fine even the 250gr TTSX. Make sure you know the vitals!!!
Giraffe heart is higher and more forward than other animals and you would want to hit the huge heart and not just lungs.

Few long strides while they run off and they easy cover 100 yards while mortally wounded. Just keep shooting after the first shot if you can untill they fall over.

My son and I are going to South Africa next April. I am planning to use my CZ550 in 9.3x62. Developing loads for this purpose I am considering using the 250 gr Barnes TTSX bullet. I have used 286 gr Woodleigh RNSN in the past for other game. My long winded question is do any of you who have experience with Giraffe think the 250 gr Barnes will be good or will it be too light for this purpose?
hi all

the ttsx will work great on giraffe, they always penetrate well, the 9.3 with 250gr ttsx will work well on giraffe for sure, a good heart lung shot and it will be going down in dramatic fashion.

GuttormG I couldn't agree more. Giraffe that are tougher than buffalo and need solids from a 9,3 mm !!

Either bullet will do. Giraffe organs are differently placed to most antelope, as said above so learn the anatomy and place your shot well. Blood pressure is higher than normal so giraffe will bleed out quicker and an exit wound often helps with a blood trail. They are not bullet proof but like any animal, if you miss the vitals, that animal will not go down. I think that is the reason that people have some problems putting the down.

Check out this thread for anatomy. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/hunting-giraffe.222/

Giraffe are not difficult to kill if the bullet is placed properly. Examine photos of giraffe, and learn where the heart/lungs are located. Broadside shots are a snap. I've killed several giraffe using only soft point ammunition. Two were killed with an -06 using factory 150gr soft point ammunition. Both shot in the head/brain. Three others were shot with .416Taylor using 400gr TBBC soft points. My wife has killed two giraffe with the same rifle ammo combination. I've witnessed three other giraffe shot/killed. Two with a .375H&H, 300gr factory soft points. Another shot, DRT with a .338WM using 250gr Nosler Partition. I might add...NONE of these animals required more than one shot each.
Load up your 9.3x62 and go hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErrolKish0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.