Getting ready for Eastern Cape Hunt!

Thanks to all for your input. I’ll be at Hunterhill north of East London, will definitely talk to the PH there before my trip.
I’ve already purchased some of these and there on the way. If noting else they’ll maybe put my mind at ease a little bit!

FE36F7D9-1EDE-4C20-9767-1473F30020E2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably silly to most, but I'm about 90% sure I'll be wearing snake gaiters on my safari(s). Snakes absolutely terrify me and, their winter or not, I just think walking through tall grass, brush etc. in an area where those types of things live might take years off the life of my heart. I know deep down it's just a mental thing, they'd probably strike plenty high to still take me out if wearing gaiters but I'm not sure I'd be able to relax and enjoy without some protection for peace of mind. Wouldnt be the first time I've had an odd opinion differing from most lol
I like the way you think
“ An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. Especially when we’re talking some of the most dangerous neurotoxic snakes in the world!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome! You sound well prepared. I agree with the others that you're not likely to encounter any slithery things, but you've covered off on the worst part - the mind. Have a great hunt.

Welcome to AH and the posting side! This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy!

Welcome to AH. I hunted in the area November 2019. Did not see any snakes but rocks galore. I wore my courtney selous boots and I love them but I found them to be too flexible for the terrain (rocky hills) and didn't give an enough ankle support. I would recommend a boot with more support. FOR WHAT ITS WORTH. And you're going to have a blast.

Welcome to the best on hunting Africa. You probably wouldn't enjoy the TV Show "Snake City"

Welcome to AH and congratulations on the upcoming hunt.
I feel your concern of snakes. I am scared motherless of all of them. Probably PTSD from tangling with a large bull snake when I was a kid. I was worried about my first trip to Limpopo knowing there were several types of baddies there.
My group of 5 hunters did have a few encounters. Two black mambas (one my cousin killed was over 7 feet without his head), a puff adder and a medium sized python in a ground blind. But none of them effected our hunt and the only reason they killed the big mamba was it was near a hunting house. As scared as I am of them I must admit I never thought of them while in the bush. Africa is just too distracting to let it bother you.
Enjoy and please post a report of your hunt.

I'm getting ready for a hunt in the Eastern Cape SA in April 2022. It's early but I live in Hawaii and haven't done much hunting in the past decade so want to get an early start by putting in time at the range, doing a couple outer Island hunts and also putting together some hunting gear and getting clothing/boots broken in. Might sound like a wuss, but I really don't like poisonous snakes since we don't have any here in the Islands. Is there any chance I might encounter any this time of year in the Eastern Cape? Should I consider a good pair of "snake boots or gaitors"? I watch many hunts on youtube, and don't believe I've ever seen folks wearing them!
Thanks

I've done two EC hunts for a total of 17 days of hunting and can't recall seeing a snake. Lots of animals, but no snakes. I'm sure there are a few snakes here and there, but not an issue as far as I can tell.

Welcome to AH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg