Getting ready for Eastern Cape Hunt!

oahufish

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a hunt in the Eastern Cape SA in April 2022. It's early but I live in Hawaii and haven't done much hunting in the past decade so want to get an early start by putting in time at the range, doing a couple outer Island hunts and also putting together some hunting gear and getting clothing/boots broken in. Might sound like a wuss, but I really don't like poisonous snakes since we don't have any here in the Islands. Is there any chance I might encounter any this time of year in the Eastern Cape? Should I consider a good pair of "snake boots or gaitors"? I watch many hunts on youtube, and don't believe I've ever seen folks wearing them!
Thanks

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Welcome to AH, probably still too cold in April for the snakes to be out and about. Lots of guys do use gaiters but just to keep the crap out of their boots. Enjoy the planning, it's half the fun.

krish

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Welcome to AH. Are you the bee farmer ?

Firebird

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
The best resource is your ph-the ph knows where you will be hunting and will have a very informed answer to your questions. I think most of us here hate serpents!

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
April is summer time in South Africa.

My outfitter in the Eastern Cape killed a cape cobra the week before we got there in mid May.

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Spring here Fall there.

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I'm getting ready for a hunt in the Eastern Cape SA in April 2022. It's early but I live in Hawaii and haven't done much hunting in the past decade so want to get an early start by putting in time at the range, doing a couple outer Island hunts and also putting together some hunting gear and getting clothing/boots broken in. Might sound like a wuss, but I really don't like poisonous snakes since we don't have any here in the Islands. Is there any chance I might encounter any this time of year in the Eastern Cape? Should I consider a good pair of "snake boots or gaitors"? I watch many hunts on youtube, and don't believe I've ever seen folks wearing them!
Thanks
Probably silly to most, but I'm about 90% sure I'll be wearing snake gaiters on my safari(s). Snakes absolutely terrify me and, their winter or not, I just think walking through tall grass, brush etc. in an area where those types of things live might take years off the life of my heart. I know deep down it's just a mental thing, they'd probably strike plenty high to still take me out if wearing gaiters but I'm not sure I'd be able to relax and enjoy without some protection for peace of mind. Wouldnt be the first time I've had an odd opinion differing from most lol

375Fox

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
I’ve been on 9 safaris including outside the winter months in March and October. I’ve only seen 4 snakes. 2 mambas and a puff adder while hunting and we had a 4 ft green grass snake curl up in the shower drain one night in Zambia, then tried to crawl up my dad’s leg with the hot shower in the morning! I don’t think you will find many foreign hunters who have seen many snakes. The snake boots wouldn’t help you with the mambas, but they ran away as soon as they saw us. Not sure what area you will be hunting in eastern cape but I would ask your outfitter about ticks and spraying your clothes with permethrin before you go. The ticks concern me much more than snakes. I actually wish I had opportunity to see more snakes there (at a safe distance).

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Welcome aboard and congrats on the booking!

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I’ve been on 9 safaris including outside the winter months in March and October. I’ve only seen 4 snakes. 2 mambas and a puff adder while hunting and we had a 4 ft green grass snake curl up in the shower drain one night in Zambia, then tried to crawl up my dad’s leg with the hot shower in the morning! I don’t think you will find many foreign hunters who have seen many snakes. The snake boots wouldn’t help you with the mambas, but they ran away as soon as they saw us. Not sure what area you will be hunting in eastern cape but I would ask your outfitter about ticks and spraying your clothes with permethrin before you go. The ticks concern me much more than snakes. I actually wish I had opportunity to see more snakes there (at a safe distance).
I sure hope I dont average a snake sighting every 2 safaris or so, yikes!

Trophyhunter01

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia, Canada BC, US- WY, CO and TX, Limpopo SA
Being in South Texas I wear snake boots here quite a bit in certain areas and when warm temps are present. Hunted Limpopo SA in February, it was warm grass was high. Did wear them most days even though my PH thought it was not necessary. Being older and growing up in the south with lots of snakes and not been hit yet feel I am pushing my luck, may not wear snake boots but always some kind of boot when in the field. Did kill a small cobra in camp the day I got there.

Welcome to the fire, great site full of information.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Enjoy planning your hunt. Welcome to AH.

I have seen more Scorpions by far, while I've been crawling around on the ground hunting in Africa.

I have seen one snake trail in the sand. I started to follow it to get a picture. It dawned on me, after following it about thirty feet, that I just might want to avoid the experience all together.
So, nothing alive yet.

Trogon

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DU, RGS/AWS, NRA
Hunted
KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX
I'm more concerned with ticks, spiders and scorpions over encountering venomous reptiles.

Reactions: cls

Cam Moon

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I've seen a few. None that I felt threatened by. The problem is when they are there and you DON'T see them! I believe that's when most bites from Adders occur. Apparently they don't like being stepped on!

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Y
Yoh! That should put his mind at rest....

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Oahufish, I know exactly how you feel. Poisonous snakes are indeed a reality in the EC, puffadders and rinkals are the worst. This is what you need, add long canvas trousers and you are good to go. They knew what they were doing
9C986F84-8AA3-44DA-85B0-F7B2C23F9360.png
back then.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hello oahufish,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
oahufish, welcome to the AH forum!
Snakes...yikes! The vehicle that arrived just ahead of me in a Limpopo camp saw a mamba maybe 10 minutes ahead of my arrival. You'd need a full body suit so I understand to protect yourself from them. That was the end of May.
4 trips and I have yet to see one. Though I was told at a couple of camps to make certain I kept the door shut and at a Limpopo tent camp they put moth balls around to keep them away!
I agree whole heartedly on Permetherin on your clothes before you go to help prevent bad bugs from getting a taste of your blood. I use it fishing near mangroves in Florida and while traveling in Alaska. Any place there’s blood suckers!
I guess I’m just a sweet blooded guy.

YancyW

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
In Namibia, on a pretty warm afternoon, I saw just a glimpse of a snake while walking across a dry creek bed. It wasn't too close and the trackers didn't really react to it, I asked later what it was, tracker tells me Zebra snake and says it isn't a problem. I had never heard of one, and didn't realize it is in the cobra family until I looked it up when I got home.

I hunt a fair amount in New Mexico, depending on the time of year, I do wear snake boots/gaiter. I have never been hit, but there are times I see multiple snakes a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrmaHawk6

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh