G'day from Oz

bushmantim

Reaction score
Hello fellow hunters,
I have the goal set of a plains game hunt in Africa for my 40th birthday (still a couple of years away), so I have joined your esteemed forum so that I am well prepared for my first PG hunt. I also intend to hunt the mountains of NZ.
I am not interested in trophies, I work as a professional ecologist in Australia, so for me it is more about understanding each game animal, being in the bush and the hunt itself.
I have hunted, and in many cases been involved in culling programs, of most species available in Australia (varmints to large game), with the exception of buffalo & sambar deer, which are VERY high on my to do list.
I look forward to learning from those who have been before!:)

Welcome to AH bushmantim! Setting goals in life is always a good thing... Feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome to AH which offers lots of info. I have some ecological and biological info about most African plains game on my website which may be of interest to you.

Thanks Jerome.
Thanks Werner, your website is excellent. I understood that species such as dik dik were small, but I didn't realise they were only 5kg! I'm sure I've shot European hares that weigh that much!

G'DAY mate!
:welcome: to AH
All the best
Ibie

Brisbane

Hi Bushmantin,

Have you got any information gathered from first hand experience on feral hog hunting in the extended surrounds of Brisbane. I believe there are some large sugar cane plantations north of Brisbane and expect the pigs could be some trouble.
My future brother-in-law has settled there but is not a hunter, would like to find out the possibilities to join in on a hunt when I visit.

Thanks in advance

Gavin

Welcome aboard mate! When I was 20, I set a goal to go before I was 35. I left this year on my 34th birthday back in July. Had the time of my life. Now I have a goal to make it back before I turn 42. We'll see.

nd

Hi Gavin,
I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to help other than to say have a look at www.australianhunting.net, and ask some of the Brisbane 'locals'. Have your BS filter on though, there is a lot of wannabes on that site, thats why I have come here to get some reliable info about hunting in africa! I live in South Australia, about 2000km from Brisbane. Most of the best pig hunting is conducted in the tropical regions of Australia, Cape York peninsula in Queensland, and the 'Top End', near Darwin in the Northern Territory. Hope this helps some.

Bushmantim,

Welcome to the world of AH.com & its hunter community, hope you gather all the info you are looking for... May you have a great safari in AFRICA.

Get in touch with Simon Darling of Aoraki Guided Hunts on siandlee@xtra.co.nz
AORAKI GUIDED HUNTS for your interest to hunt in the NZ mountains. He is a great hunter & a guide, shall cater to all your requirement.

Happy Hunting!!!!

Monish

Last edited:
Hello bushmantim, welcome to the AH site.

Hello Aussie mate - Welcome to the site , heaps to do on here.

G'day Tim, great to see the numbers of Aussies on this site increasing.

This is surely the best place to get the best advise re African hunting.

Any help I may be to you in your quest for Aussie buff hunting would be my pleasure.

Look forward to seeing more of you on AH.com

Cheers,
Paul.

Hey Bushmantim.
I'm in Sydney. Set myself the same goal for my 30th birthday and have hunted plains game twice and dangerous game once in 5 years. It's addictive and life these days seems to be about how we make the next safari possible! Happy to discuss planning of your hunt, the crazy paperwork to get your guns in and out of Aus and what you might expect when you get over there.
Have hunted sambar a few times with no luck yet - though I have been honked! Booked for buff in NT in 2011.
See you in the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg