Fox NRA / Wayne LaPierre Commentary

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Red Leg, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Charles de Ribeau

Charles de Ribeau AH Veteran

Member of:
    NRA Life
    Hunted:
    Namibia, RSA
    Yes, I agree that Wayne LaPierre must go. How can we make that happen? Don't say elect new directors. We don't know the positions of candidates. So, voting in an NRA election is a bit like playing Pin The Tail on The Donkey.

Over the years similar things have happened at the Wounded Warrior Project, RMEF and probably countless other "non-profits".

If you look at this article, or others like it, you will see that 7 board members have resigned. That's 7 out of 76. Big deal! Wake me up if the number rises to 15 or 20 by Labor Day. Otherwise nothing is going to change.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-08-20/more-officials-resign-from-the-nra

There won't be another Members' Meeting (the opportunity to elect new directors) until April 2020. That's plenty of time for LaPierre to shore up his support base among the directors and hold onto power or to negotiate mega-million dollar severance package. #FAIL

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2019
    ack likes this.

2. Charles de Ribeau

Member of:
    NRA Life
    Hunted:
    Namibia, RSA
    And SCI probably suffers from similar corruption on a hopefully smaller scale.

ack and johnnyblues like this.

3. Charles de Ribeau

Member of:
    NRA Life
    Hunted:
    Namibia, RSA
    Thanks for sharing.

4. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    If they "lost" you that long ago, you were never a serious member to begin with.o_O Good grief, of all the things to brag about:(. I reckon we can get along without you as a member.:rolleyes:

charleslabounty and JimP like this.

5. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    What happened in 1977?

6. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    The big gun issue in the 70s that I remember was that congress was trying to outlaw all Saturday night specials. (revolvers/pistols with 2 inch barrels). Obviously it didn't happen, because they are still around.

7. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    1977 was when the NRA went from being an organization in service to its members to one in service to the manufactures. And that chicken has now come home to roost.

Mark my words, the policies of the last 10+ years (NRA's policies) are going to one day backfire in spectacular fashion, and they'll only have themselves to blame. You cannot have a shooting such as took place at Sandy Hook Elementary, where 21 6-7 year old children were gunned down, alongside 6 adults, and counter with "we need to arm teachers in schools". Do you realize how totally absurd that sounds to about 95% of the population? Trust me, the pendulum will swing the other way, and when it does, it'll swing hard. Why? We've done nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, to bring the larger population into the discussion. And they're pissed, massively pissed.

Remember when Sargent Hulka bailed out of the back of the troop transport in Stripes, just before they hit the check point? That's what I did in 1977. I didn't like what I saw and got out.

ack likes this.

8. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    That is a bit of a skewed interpretation of the 1977 Cincinnati NRA convention. Frustrated members who saw an old guard interested in target shooting, Boy Scouts, etc al staged a revolt and elected a leadership group focused on political engagement to protect the 2d amendment and the right to bear arms. Obviously, that did not sit well with the traditionalists. I urge you all to google the event and read the assessments for yourselves.

Having said all that, I am probably not so far removed from @CTDolan as he might think. The old NRA was uninterested in the gun rights debate. My concern with the new NRA is that it has become uncompromising. It should be obvious to anyone that we are on the losing end of a geometric curve. Eventually, the dam will indeed break. If we maintain the position the AR 15 or nothing, eventually it will indeed be nothing. Population dynamics or inexorable.

And that is not to say that the change wasn't needed in '77 or that accomplishments of the "new" organization weren't meaningful - even dramatic. Think where we were with right to carry back in the late seventies.

Now, I would prefer a NRA leadership focused on problem solving, not resistance. It has been forty-years since the last shake up of the organization. We are NOT going to win everything forever. We are one Supreme Court justice away from neutering the 2d Amendment to focus on the militia language. Whether that is historically accurate intent or not will be irrelevant.

I wish I thought Wayne’s problems would ussure in leadership willing to get ahead of the problem. My guess is more and less capable hardliners will follow. But we need to figure out where we want to be in the largely urbanized multi-ethnic America fifty years from now. I’ll be long gone, but my grandchildren will be here. If the end state is the ability to hunt with a firearm, and protect their homes and person that will be a singular achievement. Working collectively toward that end might make sense. If not, a solution will eventually be dictated.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019

9. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe

No truer words.

ack, Tra3 and sierraone like this.

10. YancyW

YancyW GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
    I have walked the halls of Congress and many other state legislatures for the past couple decades, I can tell everyone first hand, there isn't a single other gun organization in the country that has a fraction of the influence of the NRA. If you asked every member of Congress what GOA stands for, 90% of them would think you are talking about a city in India.

I get that many people don't like certain aspects, but the only org standing between you and the gutting of the 2nd Amendment is the NRA.

Rph95, johnnyblues, Scott CWO and 2 others like this.

11. YancyW

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    The flip side is we are only one, maybe not even one, justice away from having a court that will clearly state strict scrutiny applies to the 2nd amendment.

ack and sestoppelman like this.

12. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Denny, welcome to AH and thank you for taking time to share this information and for your insight. I hope we will continue to see you on this forum.
    Additionally, thank you for your service to the NRA and its members. It is appreciated.

ack likes this.

13. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    One sad and inescapable reality remains, regardless of details, fact or fiction. By and large the body of membership feels that a sacred trust has been broken. At a time when strength and unity within the leadership of the NRA is vital, scandal has broken out. The members have been let down. As a Life Member, I know my expectations certainly have not been met. Without change, immediate and meaningful change, I fear the organization will be perpetually diminished. Members will be demoralized. Demoralized members don’t make contributions.
    While I do believe WLP bears a significant portion of the responsibility here, I don’t believe he bears sole responsibility. I believe Wayne’s departure would be best for the organization, but as has been pointed out already, he is not autonomous. He answers to the Board. Where has the Board of Directors been, and do they believe the decisions made, actions taken, and behavior or misbehavior as it may be are acceptable to the membership? I believe the Board has some answering to do as well.
    People and Organizations make mistakes. Perfection is not a realistic expectation. Excellence is. Conduct beyond reproach is. Especially for people who are in the spotlight.
    What defines any organization is how they acknowledge and then address and correct their mistakes. This is where the character of an individual or organization is demonstrated. I sincerely hope the NRA exhibits character in keeping with the standards of the bulk of its members.

Shootist43, johnnyblues and Wheels like this.

14. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)

15. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Yes, they did. Trump now says we already have good background check laws.

It sounds like some are "ready" for compromise on semi autos. I am not. Compromise with the leftards gets us more of the same, bad things.

I didn't really have a problem with banning bump stocks and on another forum was roundly shredded for that thinking. As it turns out the wording of the decision is such that almost anything could turn a semi into a fully automatic gun, and that's not a good thing. Time will tell what comes of it.

You cannot please everyone in any large organization, not possible I think the fact that Trump called WLP yesterday is testament enough to the continued clout of the NRA and WLP. The President of the NRA in this months magazine gives her full support to WLP. We should stand with the NRA and stop being a bunch of whining malcontents and running away sniveling because they ask for money. YMMV

johnnyblues, IdaRam and PARA45 like this.

16. YancyW

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    We are all on their menu, trying to talk them into eating someone else first is not a strategy I want to count on.

IdaRam and sestoppelman like this.

17. Dennis L

Dennis L New Member

Hunted:
    USA, Namibia, RSA
    Note that I did not say anywhere in my post that there weren't problems. I even said that I wouldn't enter into that fray here. I still have many friends who remain on the Board.

If you are a member and receive a magazine, somewhere in the back you will find a list of the Board members and the state they reside in. In the September issue of The American Rifleman the list is on page 87. As I recall, once each year Board members' personal addresses, or at least a place where they can receive mail, is posted.

You can also write to each of these Board members by addressing correspondence to that Board member, plus:

c/o NRA Office of the Secretary
    11250 Waples Mill Rd.
    Fairfax, VA 22030

Or email:

nrabod@nrahq.org.

You must include your name, contact information, and NRA membership number as only communications from NRA members will be accepted and forwarded.

The Board will be much more responsive to your requests than congressional politicians. Please do not hesitate to contact them.

Royal27, IdaRam, BnC 04 and 3 others like this.

18. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

19. MikeNC

MikeNC AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited SCI NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Zambia
    I am an NRA Life Member, and I have been since I was in HighSchool. I use to go to all the local events and have tons of stuff with the NRA logo on it. I got sick of all the calls and mailings wanting more money. I believe in the 2nd, but something needs to change at the NRA it seems

CoElkHunter and ack like this.

20. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    I am a life member and have been for several decades. I've seen the NRA through several ups and downs and we always bounce back up. When I was in the military, the first thing we were told when we went to a new duty station was to "train your replacement". The logic being no one is indispensable and we serve for a protracted term. The same holds true in any organization. La Pierre has served his term and it is time for new blood and a fresh outlook. I believe there are members on the board who are fully qualified to take the reins and carry on.
    It might be time for the board to scrutinize the makeup of the organization and explore set terms for all executives. This would prevent one person from becoming too entrenched and powerful. A different perspective occasionally is a good thing.

enysse, Royal27, CoElkHunter and 5 others like this.