found on gun broker Winchester Model 70 375 H&H

Is it stainless barrel with crekote action? Just curious.

This rifle doesn’t belong to @62flint. You would need to make that inquiry to the GB seller.
I'm not registered with GunBroker. What's your thoughts? Did Winchester even make stainless Model 70? I don't know. Don't believe I've ever seen one. Again, just curious and wanting to learn a bit about Model 70.

yep

I had a stainless M70 in 375 but it didn't have a fluted barrel.

The factory Classic stainless 375 H&H's were pretty popular in Alaska when in production. It appears they remain so, on the used market. They are great candidates for barrel swaps to 416 Remington & the .458's.

I like to have open sights on my DG rifles.

I scope then also, but I think it's better to be able to QD a LPVO, just in case.

That barrel stamp looks bad, must have been drinking when they did that crap.

Agree - that is some bad stamping. Then again I have a 6-digit Model 70 338 stainless that must have been a friday/payday/beer thirty rifle for all its cosmetic faults, but it is THE best shooting rifle I have owned. I just leave it alone.

I would have this one corrected though...fugly...

Every Model 70 I have ever owned, or seen for that matter, had the caliber marked on top of the barrel just behind the Winchester logo. That caliber marking must have been done by whoever fluted the barrel and erased the original markings.

My guess is the barrel is a re-bore. All the original barrel markings are facing down. Again just a guess.

Every Model 70 I have ever owned, or seen for that matter, had the caliber marked on top of the barrel just behind the Winchester logo. That caliber marking must have been done by whoever fluted the barrel and erased the original markings.
Or it's not the original barrel. The 30-06 barrel I removed from the Czech Mauser I built into 404 looked like it had been caliber branded by someone with Parkinsons disease.

Looks like a Win 70 Classic in stainless long action that was re-barreled and re-done for the 375 HH. Have had two Winchester 70 Classics in stainless. Last one was a Classic in 270. I re-barreled it with a .338 Krieger and reamed for 338-06. It is my current go to for game up to those where a 375 HH would be better choice. The barrel stamp looks like simple, single letter/number stamps were used to mark for caliber. Not uncommon and not a big deal if the re-barrel and chamber and magnum conversion job (if necessary) was done correctly.

Timney trigger. Sacrilege! Someone get a rope.
Yes agreed. Timney triggers are ok, but the original style M70 trigger is the best design ever for a hunting rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
easemble

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?