Found an AHR CZ 550 in 375 H&H for US4000, anyone has info or opinions?

Sako Brown Bear in 375 H&H is a excellent gun for the $$$$. For around $2000 plus a quality Leupold VX-6HD you would have a super combo!

This place always delivers great ideas, and good insight.
I have a great combo with a Montana rifle Company v-2 rifles in stainless with a zeiss victory 1.5 x 6 illuminated scope on it. Just always looking at more rifles and I’m a sucker for pretty wood!

Many members know that I like CZ550 I have owned quite a few and worked on many more. If it was my money which it is not, I would buy a .375 H&H CZ. Purchase a Timney trigger and a "action tool" from Brownells one weekend of smoothing the action and you have a rifle that is ready for Africa. The only other option is you might think about is a Bell & Carlson stock in the LOP and colorization of your choice. Your total investment would be anywhere from about $1,250 to $1,700.00. If you decide to sell the rifle at a later date you should get most if not all of your money back (if you buy right). When you put your bullet into the buffs heart, trust me he will not know if you spent $1,500.00 or $15,000.00 on the rifle!
Never been to Africa. I’ve bought two CZ 550s. One new in .458 WM and one used in .458 Lott. Nice hefty rifles with express sights and 25” barrels. No scopes yet. Triggers have a little creep, so what! With the exception of some feeding issues currently with the Lott, they are the finest “plain wrap” rifles I own. My two Whitworths (.375 and .416 Taylor) are a close second. I hunt (not yet with the large bores) with my rifles, so they don’t have to be tuned, tack driving moa shooting rifles. I still am looking for a CZ ,375 to compliment my Whitworth .375. Well built, reasonably priced rifles that fit into my budget.

If, as One Day is suggesting, the rifle in question is in fact a from scratch 100% custom build then I agree it is worth $4K.

Update on this rifle, it is a custom built AHR rifle .

The one listed on GB also has aftermarket bottom metal, that would cost several hundred more to add, nice gun and Wayne does great work. I am a fan, every African animal on my 2 safari's where harvested with a Wayne modified CZ. I have been around quite a bunch of Cz's from 17 Hmr to 450 Rigby and most of them have one thing in common, they are very accurate. wouldn't be afraid to try out that gun, looks pretty nice

Well, it's all in the name, I suppose..

Hello Av8or.,

Some words are loaded: for example, say "CZ 550" and you will generally trigger a fair amount of loathing from many (most of whom have never held, never mind owned a CZ 550), and ... dare I say? ... a fair amount of respect from a few in the know :)

This above statement alone ought to trigger a wave of hate mail :E Rofl:

Another one of those hair triggers is "R8". Instantly a relatively limited by absolutely fervent group will extol its near-magical virtues, while others will recognize clever engineering and a new answer to the bolt rifle question (y) but remain cold to the implement :whistle:

In your case, I suppose the rifle you are referring to is this one.

View attachment 341664

May I propose that you described it wrong. It is not an AHR CZ 550 - which most people will understand as a factory CZ 550 tuned up by Wayne; it is a full custom rifle built from the ground up on, indeed, a CZ 550 action, which Rigby of London themselves did for the many decades when the magnum length Mauser 98 was out of production :sneaky:.

By the looks of it, this rifle features a hand made custom high grade stock; ebony forehand tip; custom Oberdorf-style bottom metal; custom barrel; British style rear and barrel front sight; straight bolt handle; three position bolt-mounted safety; etc.

View attachment 341669

This, my friend, is hardly a CZ 550, it is a full blown bespoke rifle built by a well renown gunsmith on one of the best magnum length, double square bridge, deep belly, "Mauser" actions in the world... And I am willing to take a fair wager that it is as smooth as melting butter, and as reliable as a Swiss clock...

For my taste, the bolt and extractor ought to be jeweled (this is easy to add), but what you are looking at, is the full functional and aesthetics equivalent to a $15,000 Rigby, or the beautiful $xx,xxx CZ 550 actionned Craig Libhart's rifle owned by Red Leg (here under).

At $4,000 it actually is a bargain :)

View attachment 341668
It is a AHR custom rifle. I purchased it this weekend , actually got the price down a little lower. Thanks for the input . Will be a nice addition to my gun room.

It is a AHR custom rifle. I purchased it this weekend , actually got the price down a little lower. Thanks for the input . Will be a nice addition to my gun room.

Enjoy!

Congratulations!
Just to be clear, I had no doubt that this was a rifle made by AHR.
What I was saying is that there is a world a difference between a factory CZ 550 rifle tuned up by AHR (which it is not), and a full custom rifle built by AHR on a CZ 550 action (which it is) :)

Congratulations!
Just to be clear, I had no doubt that this was a rifle made by AHR.
What I was saying is that there is a world a difference between a factory CZ 550 rifle tuned up by AHR (which it is not), and a full custom rifle built by AHR on a CZ 550 action (which it is) :)
It is very accurate , a pleasure to shoot for 375 h&h.

Wayne does fabulous work and he is one of the true CZ 550 experts in the country. I bought a CZ 550 in 375 H&H, latter had Harlan at Triple River Guns, rebarrel/rechamber it to 500 Jeffery. Wayne did his CZ #1 upgrade for me (at the time it was only $500). The rifle is great as was Wayne and Harlan's work on it. All told I'm into the rifle for about $2500 but it is an amazing gun. It feed and functions smoothly, is as solid as a bank vault and pretty too.
full

Target at 50 yards. 570g Barnes TSX at just under 2300 fps.
full

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross