BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Some numbers.

I turned forty the other day, and noticed that even a faint sniff of wonderful, wonderful, glorious food can go against me if I’m not careful. So my wife and I decided to try to climb the hill behind camp every evening when it cools down. Yesterday we did-so for the first time, and as we reached the top to enjoy the desolated, leafless view a fat raindrop hit my cheek. Our first rain! We got a light, gentle shower for the next twenty minutes or so, perhaps one millimetre. Not enough to break the drought, but enough to make us hopeful.

My wife took me hunting today. It was about forty degrees Celsius out there, so we had to be careful. We walked to the last little waterhole on a dying creek, and could see the buffalo on a parallel course to ours, heads down with dreary anticipation of water, returning from untold miles in search of food. I carried a .416 Rigby for safety, but I really was hoping to use my old Sako .22-250. Twenty-seven years ago I was allowed to take it out all by myself looking for rabbits, as soon as I turned thirteen.

Sitting in the shade, ahead of the buffalo, we watched birds and a dingo and waited for the thirsty animals to arrive. Before long we had about forty buffalo around us, not really knowing we were there. I had found a steady paperbark to lean against and was waiting for a chance to cull a poor cow. This is the worst season most have ever seen up here, and I worry about gradual desertification of areas of this tropical savannah, especially with such huge pressure from feral animals.

The buffalo paused on top of the bank across from me, searching and milling, now unsure. Some skirted around, perhaps to a hidden waterhole I don’t know about and couldn’t seek-out in this weather. When my target lifted her head above the withered grass, I settled the 12x Leupold on her brain and sent a minuscule 55 grain Ballistic Silvertip into it at about forty metres. The others milled around and then retreated wearily. We took as much meat as we could after a careful approach and paying the insurance, apologising to her and thanking her for helping feed our dog. We hope her spirit can also appreciate that we gave her a quick release from the grip of starvation.

We left quickly to escape the heat and leave the exhausted animals to drink.

IMG_8557.JPG

That is one rough looking old cow. Hope your drought ends some and restores abundant life to your part of the world. . .thanks for the post

Sad tale of your severe drought. Namibia is apparently suffering the same. Actually here in the US we have several locations suffering as well. Even though others just a few hundred miles are flooding.
I enjoyed your story. Thanks.

Poor animal, you gave her a merciful end.

Hope you get some decent rain (y)

BenKK, your bullet was in fact a Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Hopefully the drought will end soon.

What sort of buffalo is it you have in Australia?
Feral, I guess, so they must have been brought in at some point for doing some work.

What sort of buffalo is it you have in Australia?
Feral, I guess, so they must have been brought in at some point for doing some work.

They were brought in in the 19th century to supply meat to remote settlements. They were later abandoned and turned feral.

Some numbers.

I turned forty the other day, and noticed that even a faint sniff of wonderful, wonderful, glorious food can go against me if I’m not careful. So my wife and I decided to try to climb the hill behind camp every evening when it cools down. Yesterday we did-so for the first time, and as we reached the top to enjoy the desolated, leafless view a fat raindrop hit my cheek. Our first rain! We got a light, gentle shower for the next twenty minutes or so, perhaps one millimetre. Not enough to break the drought, but enough to make us hopeful.

My wife took me hunting today. It was about forty degrees Celsius out there, so we had to be careful. We walked to the last little waterhole on a dying creek, and could see the buffalo on a parallel course to ours, heads down with dreary anticipation of water, returning from untold miles in search of food. I carried a .416 Rigby for safety, but I really was hoping to use my old Sako .22-250. Twenty-seven years ago I was allowed to take it out all by myself looking for rabbits, as soon as I turned thirteen.

Sitting in the shade, ahead of the buffalo, we watched birds and a dingo and waited for the thirsty animals to arrive. Before long we had about forty buffalo around us, not really knowing we were there. I had found a steady paperbark to lean against and was waiting for a chance to cull a poor cow. This is the worst season most have ever seen up here, and I worry about gradual desertification of areas of this tropical savannah, especially with such huge pressure from feral animals.

The buffalo paused on top of the bank across from me, searching and milling, now unsure. Some skirted around, perhaps to a hidden waterhole I don’t know about and couldn’t seek-out in this weather. When my target lifted her head above the withered grass, I settled the 12x Leupold on her brain and sent a minuscule 55 grain Ballistic Silvertip into it at about forty metres. The others milled around and then retreated wearily. We took as much meat as we could after a careful approach and paying the insurance, apologising to her and thanking her for helping feed our dog. We hope her spirit can also appreciate that we gave her a quick release from the grip of starvation.

We left quickly to escape the heat and leave the exhausted animals to drink.

View attachment 311972

Dear BenKK I was just hitting the hay. Checked the AH forum for new posts on the iPhone.
Saw yours.
So moved was I , I have got up and spooled up the computer
(Phone not logged into the forum and I cant remember the password)

Great story. Thanks for posting. I enjoyed that.
Congrats on the cull and the harvest. Your respect for your quarry does you proud.
Kudos for your Mrs for getting you up the hill.

40 eh? Plenty more years to go yet mate.. More great experiences to enjoy and memories to build.

Best

Ade

I hunted buff out of Darwin in June. Just starting to get dry. Locals burning grass everywhere. I don't know why the place is still there. Animals starting to get thin. Took an old,old cow and a 107 bull. Would like to go back and see it green. Australia and New Zealand are beautiful. Go if you can!!!

There’s nothing more depressing than a drought. I sincerely hope you folks get the rains you need.

You can't always get the Biggest one, Conrgrats.

Found another big mob and culled an old cow out of it. Was quite surprised by the condition of the right horn, never seen anything like it on a cow. Maybe someone missed badly some time ago, but unlikely. Possibly hit it fighting dingoes? Or bashed it one night when spooked by something?

IMG_8625.JPG

IMG_8626.JPG

IMG_8627.JPG

Maybe you shot it once before :)
Great photos.
Thank you

That boar looks to be in better shape than the two buffalo. How much do you think it weighed, where did you "hit" it?

I’d guess he was 65kg or 70kg. Not huge. First shot hit his chest (lungs) and he kept slowly walking. Second shot (a few seconds later) was in the neck which dropped him.

I proved to myself that these Ballistic Silvertips are better for pigs than Barnes TSXs (in the .22-250), which result in more speed and distance covered (by the pig). The TSX just pencils through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrmaTobias

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.