For Sale 378 Weatherby $1,800 Trolls Keep Scrolling

The muzzle brake surely helps. It's a nice Mark V-poss even a lightweight model (as many stds were black.) I remember when these guns sold brand new for $1800, though that one looks "as new," and has the custom barrel. Aluminum weaver bases on that thing? Blasphemy! LOL Needs Talley, Warne, or the Alaskan (steel) ones, as it'll also help w/ recoil mgmt. by upping from the HH case head diam (0.53") to Wby (0.58"), a gunsmith would've had to open the boltface as well. Was it bead-blasted or coated with something (as the action/bbl don't match the bolt. The 'smith may have opted to plop a 378 bolt in it in lieu of any metal work, but relieving the existing bolt would surely be cheaper.) Can the audience see a pic of what's inscribed on the barrel? LOL those could be Warne bases, but they look a lil thin...

They are indeed new Warne bases. After using front dovetail and double screw rear bases nearly 50 years, I'm done with them. Their very design isn't good for scope tubes. Almost impossible to prevent the rear rings from torquing sideways and causing galling.

I originally thought our OP clearly had his tongue in cheek at least a little bit, and even if not, I thought it was a brilliant post to draw attention to the rifle he hopes to sell. I don’t want the beast, but there are a number of Weatherby fans on our site - @Von S. comes mind - and I hope one of them buys it.

I personally think the .300 Weatherby is perhaps the best world-wide cartridge ever developed. I hated the original Weatherby California style package with high gloss, bright blue, and exaggerated cheek piece, but the cartridge is now chambered in some of the best designed rifles in the world by numerous custom builders - and the originals work as advertised.

I own a Blaser S2 and have used it in Africa for everything from duiker to Cape Buffalo from really close to nearly 250 yards with the .375 barrels in place. With a scope it shoots MOA from each barrel and a combined group at 100 meters is about 2.5 inches. It is an amazing rifle.

And virtually all of the outdoor blathering class with a magazine contract hate it. Terry Weiland has probably been the most outspoken. They will point to various attributes, but mostly it boils down to being offended by such a non traditional double rifle. It does indeed require a different manual of arms, but I have had no issues. They are currently a steal. Nothing with two barrels is more accurate.

Congratulations ! You have great interpretative skills!
But it does grow wearisome dodging trolls....
This isn't actually fun, the animosity sometimes is uncalled for and after all, this whole business of purposely pursuing dangerous game is just that, a GAME.
Unless you kill an animal for only sustenance, its STILL a game. One I've been a part of for over 50years....

If you want to see a beautiful 460 Wby., look at the Explora Westley Richards made for an African PH a few years back. Don't have the link but it won't be hard to find. Even on that site, someone couldn't resist telling any who read the thread that it was a poor choice in caliber. If I only could afford such a wonderfully crafted work of functional art.....

Last edited:
IvW, one question I forgot to ask. Why are the Blaser 2 500 Nitro Express rifles not held in higher regard ? The one I handled had a rear sight that was alien to me but the darn gun was right on the money every time I threw it to my shoulder at different angles and elevations ! It's been sold since but the price was only $7k US ?

Great gun and I don't know why they did not take off, they are probably the most accurate doubles I have ever seen. They are not traditional too put it mildly and the automatic safety puts a lot of guys off.

Most everything Blaser makes are extremely reliable and very accurate.

I think you lost out on that one, especially in 500 NE

Had a .378 Weatherby once upon a time. Wicked hammer. Actually preferred shooting my .460 Weatherby more. Less painful (not the least of which because I tended to shoot the .378 from a bench when not hunting...it could really reach out there and was well within MOA).

Respect the shoulder! No need for extra velocity on the already relatively high velocity 375 h&h as compared to other dangerous game cartridges. I think uncle Roy was under pressure to develop new rounds at this point! I love Uncle Roy and many of his cartridges. This is not one of them. That said I feel the 338-378 and the wildcats that led to its standardization are fantastic! There was no need to improve upon the 375 weatherby! Years ago my kids taught me that all the trolls were rounded up and confined to Central Park... But every once in awhile they let a few loose on a mission..
Yes, I think your right! Roy was a “velociraptor” so to speak. His cartridges HAD to be the fastest around in any given caliber. Nothing wrong with that if one can afford the rifles, ammunition, brass cases and dies for reloading, RECOIL, etc, etc. Recently we’ve seen the Remington Ultra Magnums (velocity, velocity!) come into the picture. When does it end? A few years ago, I found a great deal on a .300 RUM for my son, but I passed after looking at the price of the ammo. He subsequently bought a .300 WM for elk hunting. It was/is all the cartridge he needed. I shoot my .338 WM for elk. It’s all the cartridge I need for elk. I won’t criticize anyone for wanting to own any rifle/ cartridge combination, but I’m personally not of the mindset or convinced that more and more velocity in a given caliber (especially for large game) is advantageous. I prefer larger bore diameters and heavier bullets in a given caliber. Just me!

Yes, I think your right! Roy was a “velociraptor” so to speak. His cartridges HAD to be the fastest around in any given caliber. Nothing wrong with that if one can afford the rifles, ammunition, brass cases and dies for reloading, RECOIL, etc, etc. Recently we’ve seen the Remington Ultra Magnums (velocity, velocity!) come into the picture. When does it end? A few years ago, I found a great deal on a .300 RUM for my son, but I passed after looking at the price of the ammo. He subsequently bought a .300 WM for elk hunting. It was/is all the cartridge he needed. I shoot my .338 WM for elk. It’s all the cartridge I need for elk. I won’t criticize anyone for wanting to own any rifle/ cartridge combination, but I’m personally not of the mindset or convinced that more and more velocity in a given caliber (especially for large game) is advantageous. I prefer larger bore diameters and heavier bullets in a given caliber. Just me!
Many, many articles written re: the Magnum Craze-I came in the midst of it-not the beginning, but probably the end! lol I do like most cartridges formed by necking down the 375 (WM, smaller Wby, et al) and the WSM/SAUMs were a great find as well! That said, the really large caliber Wby are akin to the cars from the UK and Italy that most people don't buy for good reason. lol (<3 those cases necked down for .338" and even have a deep respect for the .257 Wby-although since I've blown out a few barrels, I switched up to 257 Roberts AI and 12 less gr of powder per cartridge with nearly the same performance! :) "That dog, will hunt!"

Many, many articles written re: the Magnum Craze-I came in the midst of it-not the beginning, but probably the end! lol I do like most cartridges formed by necking down the 375 (WM, smaller Wby, et al) and the WSM/SAUMs were a great find as well! That said, the really large caliber Wby are akin to the cars from the UK and Italy that most people don't buy for good reason. lol (<3 those cases necked down for .338" and even have a deep respect for the .257 Wby-although since I've blown out a few barrels, I switched up to 257 Roberts AI and 12 less gr of powder per cartridge with nearly the same performance! :) "That dog, will hunt!"
It was a bu$ine$$, and he did well! I totally get that. Using Ackley as the template, some of his experiments worked out, and others not. It just makes perfect sense. There is NOTHING wrong w/ a Wby Mark V action (nearly 1" in diam bolt-9 lugs..that is a serious rig. 'Have owned many-NEVER any issues, EVER.) The guns are solid. Never any issues w/ the ultra-lightweight 6 lug versions, either. If you're lucky enough to score an early Wby (mauser action) more power to you (same for the early Eddystone & other Rems).
Way better than a factory Rem 700!

Last edited:
It was a bu$ine$$, and he did well! I totally get that. Using Ackley as the template, some of his experiments worked out, and others not. It just makes perfect sense.
*Many of the other, larger company cartridges marketed just do not make any sense at all in reality ("we've released this thing that shoots slower, or the same velocity as the previous X, but here's a kick-ass commercial for you to see at the bar with your buds and buy one!") L O L 'Murica. Do your due diligence and you will find that there are about 10 cartridges that will git-r-done and you can spend the rest of your hard earned $ on more important things like your kids! (in other words, MUCH repetition or even steps backwards in the industry. WSM is faster w/ a lighter/shorter gun than Nos, etc.) LOL

It was a bu$ine$$, and he did well! I totally get that. Using Ackley as the template, some of his experiments worked out, and others not. It just makes perfect sense.
The real beauty of the Ackley improved cartridges (once you have the rifle and reloading dies), is being able to shoot the parent cartridge in the A.I. Rifle to fire form the Ackley brass. Ingenious! My father in law has a 6mm AI and uses it for pronghorn.. Just a little hotter than a factory 6mm, but not ridiculously so.

NO LONGER FOR SALE ON THIS SITE.
Try Guns International, as the audience won't ask so many damn questions! lol Better yet (re: questions) gunbroker. lol "Is it good for squirrel AND rabbit?"

The real beauty of the Ackley improved cartridges (once you have the rifle and reloading dies), is being able to shoot the parent cartridge in the A.I. Rifle to fire form the Ackley brass. Ingenious! My father in law has a 6mm AI and uses it for pronghorn.. Just a little hotter than a factory 6mm, but not ridiculously so.
I really like certain AI cartridges (esp. 257, just now experimenting with the 757 with good results...) Other wildcats never standardized have proven more effective than a fortune 100 Co trying to pump out crap w/ tv ads!) I pity the person who ever steals my guns-they'll never find any ammo for them, for the most part, but they sure perform fantastically for their purposes! Anything John Browning invented is damn near perfect (30-06 & all variants, etc. etc.) and the 300 Win Mag can do it all from varmints to med game (w/ handloading,) akin to the 375 HH's lil bro. Additionally, Bell (7mm) and Jameison (6.5mm) realized the SD and tremendous power and range of these bullets, using larger-for-caliber...

All caps of course! ;) OP's first post was somewhat off putting and needlessly confrontational. I don't wonder he is plagued with "trolls".:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We've communicated a little before and it's always been a pleasure.
Your preference has a solid history of performance. No question. My curiosity makes me wonder about dumping a great deal of energy TOTALLY into the animal. The concept of Cutting Edge Bullets and Lehigh Bullets is to cause great damage very shortly after entry and then continue the momentum in the form of a solid.
The elk I shot in your neck of the country received remarkable damage from a Berger 168 hunting bullet out of a 300 win. mag with a 125 yard shot. Aside from all the usual damage the top half of his heart was transformed to jelly. The bullet remains was the jacket base loosely containing a bit of lead core. 55.9 grs. in total. All energy mustered was dumped in the chest cavity, no wasted energy. He made a 15 yard semicircular retreat and fell dead. That year I shot a whitetail doe at 275 or so and she ran 75 yards down hill and folded up. I'll probably not get to do that hunt again or the grizzly but would shoot the local deer with different things.
I currently want to kill a animal and give it the most painless death as possible. The quickest death possible is the best outcome for me and the quarry.
All the creatures I've shot could have been cleanly dealt with by my 308, proper shot placement and a well designed bullet.
My hunting season may find me using the above mentioned bullets out of different rifles just to evaluate .

Yes ! Experiment and learn ! Then pass it on.....

When I first read the comment my first thought was Good!! Congratulations on the sale - - But then on reading the comments that followed it seems the offer is just being removed from this site. so it saddens me that someone would have an item to sell that would be in line with the African Hunting site but for reasons other than market actions, was removed.

We've communicated a little before and it's always been a pleasure.
Your preference has a solid history of performance. No question. My curiosity makes me wonder about dumping a great deal of energy TOTALLY into the animal. The concept of Cutting Edge Bullets and Lehigh Bullets is to cause great damage very shortly after entry and then continue the momentum in the form of a solid.
The elk I shot in your neck of the country received remarkable damage from a Berger 168 hunting bullet out of a 300 win. mag with a 125 yard shot. Aside from all the usual damage the top half of his heart was transformed to jelly. The bullet remains was the jacket base loosely containing a bit of lead core. 55.9 grs. in total. All energy mustered was dumped in the chest cavity, no wasted energy. He made a 15 yard semicircular retreat and fell dead. That year I shot a whitetail doe at 275 or so and she ran 75 yards down hill and folded up. I'll probably not get to do that hunt again or the grizzly but would shoot the local deer with different things.
I currently want to kill a animal and give it the most painless death as possible. The quickest death possible is the best outcome for me and the quarry.
All the creatures I've shot could have been cleanly dealt with by my 308, proper shot placement and a well designed bullet.
My hunting season may find me using the above mentioned bullets out of different rifles just to evaluate .
Bas,
I too have always enjoyed your perspective on everything related to hunting. In this case, your perspective on bullet choice is RIGHT ON! I have seen the Sierra Gameking 165gr SBT require several lethal body hits on two elk and one cow moose before the animal succumbed at 25 yards from a .30-06. The bullet jacket is too thin for consistent penetration on an elk sized animal. They work great on deer and pronghorn. Your choice of the other bullet brands you mentioned will lead to quicker kills with well placed shots in my opinion.
CEH

Nice looking gat. I agree with CW Richer that the bases could go.

I really like certain AI cartridges (esp. 257, just now experimenting with the 757 with good results...) Other wildcats never standardized have proven more effective than a fortune 100 Co trying to pump out crap w/ tv ads!) I pity the person who ever steals my guns-they'll never find any ammo for them, for the most part, but they sure perform fantastically for their purposes! Anything John Browning invented is damn near perfect (30-06 & all variants, etc. etc.) and the 300 Win Mag can do it all from varmints to med game (w/ handloading,) akin to the 375 HH's lil bro. Additionally, Bell (7mm) and Jameison (6.5mm) realized the SD and tremendous power and range of these bullets, using larger-for-caliber...
Yes, it’s difficult to top the SD AND BC of the 6.5s and 7mms!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg