Flight Options for Next Trip Over

Puddle

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

My last trip to Joberg was before the pandemic broke out and it was Delta via Seattle - Atlanta - Joberg and back. Easy peasy, but that was awhile ago.

My next hunt is April 2023 and my travel agent is coming up with either United via Seattle - Newark - Joberg, or Qatar via Seattle - Doha - Joberg.

My question is these days which airline of the two is experiencing the least traveler hassles - last minute cancelations, interruptions, mislaid rifles, luggage with ammo, etc. ?

I'll deal with costs and scheduling later because I've got the time. Right now I'm focused on overall traveler service.

Thanks

Curious as to why a travel agent wouldn't also list the Delta option through ATL.

Hello all,

My last trip to Joberg was before the pandemic broke out and it was Delta via Seattle - Atlanta - Joberg and back. Easy peasy, but that was awhile ago.

My next hunt is April 2023 and my travel agent is coming up with either United via Seattle - Newark - Joberg, or Qatar via Seattle - Doha - Joberg.

My question is these days which airline of the two is experiencing the least traveler hassles - last minute cancelations, interruptions, mislaid rifles, luggage with ammo, etc. ?

I'll deal with costs and scheduling later because I've got the time. Right now I'm focused on overall traveler service.

Thanks
I am flying Qatar for the 2nd and 3rd times this year. They have the best track record of late. Rifles are easy and only have a simple form you fill out ahead of time. Service in economy and business is absolutely the best in the air. For you flying from Seattle Qatar is the easy answer. Happy safari planning!

Curious as to why a travel agent wouldn't also list the Delta option through ATL.
Because they are not keeping their schedules worth a crap. Then you add that the A350 they are flying can't always make it back from JNB-ATL and you have more problems. If the news reports are to be believed the JNB-ATL nonstop will be a thing of the past and will be replaced by JNB-CPT-ATL where you are looking at nearly 20 hours on one flight. They have to get their prices and reliability to be much better before I'll look at them again.

How does flying to Capetown help with fuel?
It’s the opposite direction?

I am flying Qatar for the 2nd and 3rd times this year. They have the best track record of late. Rifles are easy and only have a simple form you fill out ahead of time. Service in economy and business is absolutely the best in the air. For you flying from Seattle Qatar is the easy answer. Happy safari planning!
That there is a darn good thumbs up. Thanks

Capetown is on the west side of South Africa, and closer then Joberg.

7 years ago when we flew back on SAA out of Joberg we stopped in Dakar to top off the tanks to make it to Dulles

I’m continually googling the locations you guys mention. Lol. I’m clueless.

Joburg is over 5,000 feet in elevation. Capetown is at sea level. Takes more fuel to take off at the higher altitude.

Well, the feedback I got from folks in my circle of Africa hunters was the same - Qatar.

Time to start drilling down on the details....

Thanks, all.

I flew Lufthansa from lax to Frankfurt to Jberg. Great flight. Flew cape town to Frankfurt to lax back. Even better trip for us. I’m not a very big fan of United anymore? They really don’t respect their customers. Flying to Hawaii this summer and they have changed our flight times five time so far. It’s five months away??

lufthansa gave me seat assignments 8 months before our flight!!! Everyone else was going to charge us 400$ extra??? Traveling with a child is not the time to fight over seat assignments. My two cents
shout out to travel express for doing a great job booking for us!!!

Good choice.

Ive flown United, American, and Qatar from DFW to JNB.. and flown pretty much every carrier conceivable at one time or another from different parts of the US to different parts of Africa (BA, Lufthansa, KLM, Air France, Delta, Kenyan Air, Ethiopian Air, Emirates, and Etihad all come to mind... Im sure there have been others...)..

For the time being, the only carrier I am considering for any flights between the US and any destination they might serve in Africa.. is Qatar..

I'll be flying from ORD-ATL-JNB this month with Delta. Same planned flight in reverse order for my return trip. I'll provide feedback regarding the experience when I get back in July. I booked my flight a year in advance before the unsettling news from a poster on here about Delta cancelling their return flight. Hopefully that has been worked out.

I’ve flown Emirates x 1 & Qatar x 2 since the pandemic w/o incident & a vote of confidence w/ Qatar’s continued proven reliability on maintaining their flight schedules regardless of aircraft capacity … I had one leg 2/3 empty.

United - I have a 1st hand experience of a last minute cancelation for a three/3 group w/o explanation, plus, the ever increasing horror stories on AH concerning United proven unreliable w/ last minute cancellations & what appears to be reservation consolidation (?) favoring the airlines bottom $$ while screwing the customers initial travel dates, reserved seating, etc.

I just returned from International trip yesterday … chatter, United is struggling w/ crew shortages over their past mandatory Jab Policy & staff releases. I’m no expert …

Normally I fly BA or Emirates, I except Asia. Now that Qatar is using Avios, I will be shifting flights that I would have flown Emirates. Just not sure what I am going to do with my Emirates points.

There is no damn way would I ever think of flying United that far, unless it was business all the way and still then I would have second thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.