Fishing in Yukon

Phil Giordano

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Usa, Canada, Italy
'Morning Friends,
next year - between late august and first week of september - I'll be in Yukon for a Grizzly and Caribou hunt.
I will hunt around Snake River, Bonnet Plume Lake and Bonnet Plume River - really close to the border with NWT (area "6").
Have any of you ever fished there?
I believe I'll find Artic Grayling and Pikes, do you know if Dolly Varden too?
I'm looking for advices and field reports.
Thanks in advance!

2019-08-30 16.05.46.png

I have done a couple of Yukon hunts. My guess all your time will be spent hunting.Throw a pack rod in if so inclined.

'Morning Friends,
next year - between late august and first week of september - I'll be in Yukon for a Grizzly and Caribou hunt.
I will hunt around Snake River, Bonnet Plume Lake and Bonnet Plume River - really close to the border with NWT (area "6").
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 542121
Hello. I will be in area 5 in about seven weeks. Remind me when I get back to give you info.

Thank you Scott
Fantastic
I will (y)
Hi Yukon-hunters = was at BPO in 2013 = some nice lakes there - one of their Maincamp is directly on the lakeside = Chris of BPO means real good fishing there …
I took my gear with me but found no time for fishing - only on last day for graylings - during waiting for the plan …
But this fishing was great = more than 20 in 11/2hour …
Wish you all the best for your trips!!!

Hi Yukon-hunters = was at BPO in 2013 = some nice lakes there - one of their Maincamp is directly on the lakeside = Chris of BPO means real good fishing there …
I took my gear with me but found no time for fishing - only on last day for graylings - during waiting for the plan …
Hello Pimes!
Did you hunted up there in Yukon with Chris Widrig?
If so, yes I know the main camp is just on the lake shore...
Did you had good time and hunt?

I just checked "BPO" and they're not my outfitters - mine is Widrig Outfitters
But the area is very close
Hope to have good luck with rifle and rod as well...

No was hunting with Chris McKinnon of Bonnet Plume Outfitters = had a realy great time and it was one of my lifetime hunts = got the 3. best Ram of Yukon in 2013 season, a good Moose = with the special that we found both shovels (antlers) of the moose he lost in last winter and a Wolverine …

I just checked "BPO" and they're not my outfitters - mine is Widrig Outfitters
But the area is very close
Hope to have good luck with rifle and rod as well...
… usually wanted to Widrig = but he was fully booked 2 years in advance - so my decision going to BPO and doing a Combohunt with them - I was hunting direct on the boarder to Widrig

… usually wanted to Widrig = but he was fully booked 2 years in advance - so my decision going to BPO and doing a Combohunt with them - I was hunting direct on the boarder to Widrig
This will be my first time with Chris Widrig.
He seems to be an old school gentleman, and he's always ready to answer my emails and give advices.
I know he has a good area and good reputation.
Did you had good hunt with him too?

This will be my first time with Chris Widrig.
He seems to be an old school gentleman, and he's always ready to answer my emails and give advices.
I know he has a good area and good reputation.
Did you had good hunt with him too?
Didn‘t hunt with Widrig any time = but his reputation is also known in Austria = I think you can’t go wrong with him - Yukon „old school“ = what we are looking for ;)

Didn‘t hunt with Widrig any time = but his reputation is also known in Austria = I think you can’t go wrong with him - Yukon „old school“ = what we are looking for ;)
You're absolutely true (y)
Thank you my friend!

'Morning Friends,
Thanks in advance!
Have you got a Grayling knife. This is one I do for these little fish and has a nice piece of burl with brass accents on the NitroV stainless blade. ;)

20230628_164514.jpg

Hello Von Gruff!
Thank you for your message.
Beautyful knife indeed.
Don't know if I "need" it, but sure it's a nice piece to own...
May I ask you about the cost?

Hello Von Gruff!
Beautyful knife indeed.

@Phil Giordano

In a deep pocket sheath, it would be US$390 shipped to the US.

Last edited:
Oh what an adventure you have planned. Can't wait to read the report.

Hello Von Gruff!
Beautyful knife indeed.

@Phil Giordano

In a deep pocket sheath, it would be US$390 shipped to the US.
Fair price for a so nice piece - I'll think about it, will let you know.
Thank you

In the event, you'll send it to Italy ;)

you will have good time for sure but i doubt you will be mainly fishing unless stuck in camp waiting for a plane.
ask the outfitter and they may have some rods or lure waiting for you.

you can use the fat of the caribou/ moose for pike: you should be good at that time of the year.

greetings from the yukon.

Last edited:
you will have good time for sure but i doubt you will be mainly fishing unless stuck in camp waiting for a plane.
ask the outfitter and they may have some rods or lure waiting for you.

you can use the fat of the caribou/ moose for pike: you should be good at that time of the year.

greetings from the yukon.
Yup, sure I'll be focused on my tags, it's an hunting trip far more than a fishing one, totally agree on this.
Just, you'll never know...
Since as far as I know, the area has plenty of great waters.
We'll see
I'll take some spoons and spinners, maybe a couple minnows, just in case.
Greetings from Italy my friend, and thank you for the message (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalPendley

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double