First Safari Nearly Here!

The sleep thing gets worse

I truly wish you a great Safari. You're doing good shooting some does and getting that shooting practice in. Don't let anything get in the way of his first experience. What I mean is, things will go wrong, travel will stink, etc but just enjoy it because you can't get a first safari again.
THis site is a great resource as you know for prepping for safari. Namibia is a magical place. My second home.
Regards,
Philip

Good luck to all of you lucky enough to be going this year! Looking forward to the hunt reports and LOTS of photos.

Good luck Blacks, Have a great time. The first is the most memorable. I like the idea of taking notes in a small journal. I will be going back in May for my third time. I have now shot 12 species with a total of 17 animals and am headed back for a buffalo in the Free State with a few more animals added. Damn, and I thought my other addictions were expensive! LOL Don't be thinking you will only be going once..........

Thank you all! 43 days...

Sonny, I have always said this 'Wont' be a once in a lifetime trip....as I want to go back as often as I can afford! (Amongst other countries/hunts that is!)

Reedy, good luck mate. Are you in Namibia too? Sounds like you'll be a week or so before me.

Cheers
Tim

Thanks @blacks ,

Yep, I'm 8 days ahead of you it looks like. I will be in SA this time, in the NW province. Namibia is in my near future hopefully. Best of luck to you as well!

Counting them down. 33 days now.

Luckily for me, it's our local red stag and fallow deer rut right now. So I'll have plenty of days in the bush leading up to the hunt so not only should I be field ready, but it will help the days pass faster too! 4 days this week hunting reds, then 4 days the week after chasing croaking fallow bucks.

After that I'll have a fortnight to reload my ammo, finalise my Aussie permits, then it's time to get on the big bird!

cheers

Nice to have reds and fallows to pass the time! Best of luck, I'm at 23 days myself!

Nice to have reds and fallows to pass the time! Best of luck, I'm at 23 days myself!

Yeah it is mate. Luckily my wife know that at this time of year it's 4 days working, 4 days hunting. Repeat.

She knows not to expect me around in April!

You must be getting excited now...getting very real!

blacks

Well it's now just 14 days to go...

I've spent 7 of the past 10 days in the field which has helped pass the time and given the gear a good run. Finally on the last night I got to squeeze the trigger, on this cull fallow buck...

It will be the last animal I take before hitting Namibia, but I'll get some more trigger time over the sticks in yet. Then to reload them all with fresh 180gn Woodleighs ready to go!

Final immunisation shots are this Tuesday...permits are sorted....plane tickets have arrived....

blacks

Attachments

• P1030304_zpswjwcjn6n.jpg
    P1030304_zpswjwcjn6n.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:
6 days until I get on the big bird....8 days until I step foot on Kowas soil....

Out for a little more shooting practice (at paper) this week, then reload my shells and pack my bags. It's getting pretty real now!

Having a wonderful time at Kowas. Just back for lunch on day three, very windy and hard hunting today.
Started with a bang, between two of us we have seven animals in the salt in the first two days, from seven Woodleigh Bullets. I have a lovely impala and springbok rams, plus a nice kudu bull from an epic hunt yesterday. My mate Mark has oryx bull, a huge old Springbok, jackal and mountain zebra.

Here is my kudu taken in the thick thorns on the mountain, after spotting him from the opposite face over a kilometre away, thanks to the great eyes of my PH Jacques Strauss. We got into about 80m and I finally took him on the move with a quartering shot uphill at about 120m.

Attachments

• received_10209560725714323_zpsfspfcbhk.jpeg
    received_10209560725714323_zpsfspfcbhk.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Kudu!

Congrats on your kudu! Looking forward to seeing more updates!

Thanks fellas!

Just returned home to Australia, four flights over 3 days and very weary now.

A full report to follow, but I managed 8 lovely trophies in 8 days , with 9 shots fired; almost the perfect safari! All in all Mark and I are bringing home 17 great trophies and we are just thrilled with the whole experience.

Cheers
Tim

Glad you Safari went well. Let's see some more pictures and hear a few more stories!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg