First Rifle

I would whole heartedly recommend a 358 winchester in a Browning lever action. The rifle is short lightweight and quick to the shoulder as well as very accurate. The 358 win caliber is suitable for all game bigger than prairie dogs and smaller than pachyderms.
 
I really like the 7x57 with 175 grs Partitions. But what about a nice South African classic, Musgrave 98 in 9,3x62?
 
personally, I'd recommend .308 for your specific circumstances..

it compliments the 300HH and 375HH...

it will take any game in your home state (and the states in the surrounding area) easily.. and is also an effective pig cartridge if you make it to TX to chase porky at some point..

ammunition is plentiful and affordable (relatively speaking.. but its going to be easier to find and less expensive than just about any other center fire mid bore ammo out there that is a reasonable deer/elk/pronghorn/pig caliber).. 308 is the second most popular/shot caliber in the US.. as a result all of the big as well as all of the small ammo manufacturers make a wide variety of rounds.. and they are a priority for production over most, if not all, other calibers..

if you get into reloading at some point, its very easy to reload for...

rifles in 308 are easy to find and the options are limitless.. anything from a basic "walmart" bolt action to an AR platform to a high end european straight pull are all available in 308..

Its also popular in South Africa if you ever end up back there again, or just go over for a hunt.. ammo is affordable (by South African standards) and is easy enough to find.. your PH will be very familiar with it, etc..

MOST of the above may be true for other calibers.. but ALL of it likely will not be...
 
There are a lot of good words being said about the .30-06. I too favor it, but unfortunately one should be a realist in today's times. I think a .308 makes a better choice for ammunition availability as they seem to be producing it in droves. At least you'll have plenty of ammunition to familiarize yourself with the rifle again.

I'm going to do up an Encore .308 barrel with a muzzle break silencer adaptor for the youngest hunter in my family when the time comes. He'll have plenty of ammunition to become a great shot with before he ever takes to the field. The first buck will be just a function of habit.
 
Absolutely nothing wrong with the .30/06!


It's the one I grab from the safe 90% of the time.


When you get the .300 H&H and the .375 H&H, you could still use, and likely will use, the .30/06
 
For hunting in the the USA only, with accurate off the shelf factory ammo, and complimentary to your “eventual” inheritance, I suggest .270, 7mm08, .308 and 30-06 in that order. All are capable, easy to shoot well, and adequate for any game you will hunt at reasonable “traditional” range. More is not always better. It’s easier to learn again how to shoot accurately from field positions with a cartridge that doesn’t beat you up with recoil. I love the 7x57 and have three of them, but it’s not a practical choice for your stated goals. The .280 and 7x64 are also wonderful but too unusual in the marketplace for your stated goals. The 6.5 Creedmore offers a little less power than I’d be fully comfortable with for moose or elk. A hand loaded 6.5 Swede would be OK, but you said you need good factory ammo which is scarce in the USA for that caliber. Same problem already stated for the 7x57. Any belted magnum is not necessary, and will overlap with your future .300 & .375
So my suggestion is go rifle shopping. If you find one that you really like in .270, 7mm08, .308, or 30-06 buy it with confidence. The rifle matters more than the differences between those cartridges if it fits you, functions perfectly, shoots accurately, pleases your hand, eye and wallet.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,355
Members
169,530
Latest member
ShelbyKidd
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top