First Dangerous Game Rifle - Struggling to decide

Bourbon,
I went through the same decision making process. I started with a Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H and practiced a lot at the range getting ready for my hunt in Limpopo in2018, then I found a nice second hand double by Chapuis, also 375 H&H. and bought it. That was the rifle I used for buffalo in 2018. I used it again on a nyala in thick bush in 2019. Then Santa was very nice and brought me a John Rigby & Co. 416 Rigby that I have been practicing with for a second buffalo tis year.
You can't go wrong with the Model 70 375H&H as a first DG rifle.

Bourbon,
This is a dangerous forum for your bank account. Once you have purchased your first large bore rifle it’ll never end. Get out why you can! Run and don’t look back! Ha! Ha! Or if not, buy a .375 something and have fun!
CEH

Another opinion...I too have fired a 50 BMG several times and several sessions. A 416 Rigby a couple of times. And fired my PH’s 458 Lott. Survived them all, but I settled on a 375 H&H. Reasoning is it costs nearly half as much to shoot. It is easier to find. Much better for any North American (or Western Hemisphere) game. Results, I can shoot it a lot more!
Out of my four trips to Africa, the 375 has worked perfectly for me. If/when I go for elephant, I will be using it loaded with 350 grain solids. If I do my part, I feel it will do its share.
It is just such a useful worldwide cartridge IMO&E.

I had a really nice M70 458Win that I shot a fair amount. The difference in recoil between it and my CZ 375H&H, M77 Ruger 375 H&H and M77 375 Ruger was substantial. Since I have no plans to hunt anything bigger than Cape Buffalo I settled on the 375's as my choice for DG although I'm exploring having a 400H&H built just because.

Bourbon,
This is a dangerous forum for your bank account. Once you have purchased your first large bore rifle it’ll never end. Get out why you can! Run and don’t look back! Ha! Ha! Or if not, buy a .375 something and have fun!
CEH
This is because drugs and firearms are in the same departement....

HWL

To beat a thoroughly beaten dead horse...

I am new here, but I have been combing this site for over a year. However, it has led to me being completely overwhelmed by the shear number of DG cartridges. So, I would like to ask for some more (in)direction.

My situation:
I am a ways out from any DG trips, and I want to get a DG caliber rifle to start practicing.
I currently shoot a 300wby and have shot a 50 BMG, but a 30# gun doesn’t really give me much of an apples to apples compare. However, I am pretty sturdy and don’t think recoil will be a big issue nor rifle weight.
Prior to being enlightened by the AH forum I only considered the 416 Rigby, but now I am torn between a 375, 416, 404, and 450/458. The 500 Jeff looks intense, but I really enjoyed the 50 BMG. (I am not looking at doubles currently).
I do think the 375 sounds versatile and like a lateral move in terms of recoil, but I don’t particularly like feeling under gunned.
I know that I want a dedicated DG rifle and to also hunt elephant at some point. Would my original choice (416 Rigby) be the best gateway dru...err I mean caliber? Or should I give something else a more serious look?

Respectfully,
BourbonTrail
Cant go wrong with the 404..... If you can find one

My opinion, get a Winchester M70 in 375 H&H.
That’s not any news to me, my feelings aren’t hurt. However, I made that post because if you’re buying a rifle on a tight budget and you know you will have to put money in to get it to reliable working order, it should be a big consideration.
Yes I agree. Most likely to work out the box is a Winchester 375 H&H. But that said, I wouldnt buy a winchester 458 Lott - I would switch preference to a CZ at that point. Also CZ for 416 Rigby. I think the bigger action really pays off with the bigger cartridges.

This is because drugs and firearms are in the same departement....

HWL
Ha! Ha! Well, within this AH “department “ and specific to this thread, there are many large bore rifle enablers (kinda like drug dealers?) here, “pushing” their addiction onto unsuspecting neophytes like poor Bourbon. He won’t get out of this life with just one large bore rifle! He may end up like Toby458? Ha! Ha!

I appreciate all the feedback on which rifles work best for DG calibers... I am used to chasing the long range rifles, so I know those well unlike the DGs.
Sounds like saving up a little more and being choosey will save me some headache.
However, I am still jonesing for all the calibers. I think I will let fate decide if the 375 or 416 wins out for first pick. I am just going to buy them all anyway...

My opinion, get a Winchester M70 in 375 H&H.

Yes I agree. Most likely to work out the box is a Winchester 375 H&H. But that said, I wouldnt buy a winchester 458 Lott - I would switch preference to a CZ at that point. Also CZ for 416 Rigby. I think the bigger action really pays off with the bigger cartridges.
+1 on the Winchester choice for a quality rifle ready to go out of the box. But, I don’t own a newer CRF one, but do own several CZ 550s and I’m not looking back. Still might buy a CRF Winchester some day as they are excellent rifles. My old push feed .270 is still going strong!

I appreciate all the feedback on which rifles work best for DG calibers... I am used to chasing the long range rifles, so I know those well unlike the DGs.
Sounds like saving up a little more and being choosey will save me some headache.
However, I am still jonesing for all the calibers. I think I will let fate decide if the 375 or 416 wins out for first pick. I am just going to buy them all anyway...
If you're going to buy them all eventually you might look at the Blaser R8. That way you can have one stock/receiver for four of the six caliber barrels - .375H&H, .416 Rem Mag, .458 Lott and a .500 Jeffery - you mentioned. It only takes a minute to swap them out. If you end up not liking one you can always sell a barrel without having to go through an FFL.

“I am just going to buy them all anyway”. In less than 24 hours, the enablers have worn you down. Good luck on your quest and Welcome to the Great AH Forum for everything hunting and firearms related with the finest knowledgeable experts and enthusiasts to be found!

“I am just going to buy them all anyway”. In less than 24 hours, the enablers have worn you down. Good luck on your quest and Welcome to the Great AH Forum for everything hunting and firearms related with the finest knowledgeable experts and enthusiasts to be found!
I have finally found my people!

I am a victim of this guys also.

I am burdend with a .470 Capstick, a .458 Winchester, a .404 Jeffrey, a 10,75x68, a .416 Rigby and a .375 H&H.....but life is still pleasant.

:cool:

HWL

If you're going to buy them all eventually you might look at the Blaser R8. That way you can have one stock/receiver for four of the six caliber barrels - .375H&H, .416 Rem Mag, .458 Lott and a .500 Jeffery - you mentioned. It only takes a minute to swap them out. If you end up not liking one you can always sell a barrel without having to go through an FFL.
You beat me to it.
Now we can wait for all the R8 push-feed hater backlash. :A Popcorn:

You beat me to it.
Now we can wait for all the R8 push-feed hater backlash. :A Popcorn:

Yeah was waiting for someone to drag those things into a serious discussion yet again....wonder if they can put an auto delete on here.... so that if anyone tries to type those things on it just vanishes...like a puff of smoke.... :E Shrug: :A Thumbs Up::E Rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg