First African Hunt next week in RSA and With my 16 year old son.son

Patriot

Reaction score
Media
Member of
RMEF,NRA
Hunted
North America/Alaska, Canada, England, Australia, Hawaii,Spain
Were headed to Hunt with Jannie Otto in South Africa next week. We're very excited. Has anyone heard or hunted with Jannie? Any advice for a first timer? Any must do's while we are there?

Patriot................welcome to AH. I am sure you and your boy will have a great time. I do not know the operator you mentioned but I am sure you will enjoy your first hunt. My advice is to concentrate on the overall experience and don't get too caught up in the head count or record books. Listen to your PH, always carry a camera with you and take lots of pictures.

Good luck and safe journey.

Great advice from Kelly. I'm jealous. The first safari is simply amazing. Have a good trip and post a hunt report when you get home.

Patriot

I just came back from my first African safari in August. Best time ever. Take pictures of everything. Even the stuff that you dont think is interesting, someone else will. I am sure you guys will have a wonderful time. Don't be like me and overpack. I ended up leaving alot of my extra hunting clothes for my tracker who really appreciated them. I needed the extra space for the souvenirs. Good luck.

Your boy is lucky to have a dad like you. I am jealous because, my son never took an interest in my hobbies. Maybe an African safari would have changed his mind. That was a different time though. Cherish the trip and take tons of pictures. Good luck and be safe.

Welcome to AH Patriot! Good communication with your PH is a must for a great safari and remember to soak it all in, it will go fast. I am glad to hear that you are taking your 16 year old son with you, he will cherish these memories forever...

Thanks to all those who offered advice. I will make sure to post an after hunt report, with some photos.

Patriot, I've dealt with him on hunt donations to our SCI chapter. He is very professional. He is actually on a another hunting website all the time. I think you are in good hands.

Patriot my advice would be to take everything in and learn about the animals as much as you can. I think it is great that you are taking your son with on the hunt it makes sure you leave a tradition for the future. Good luck with the hunt and enjoy.;)

Returned from RSA after collecting 21 Animals and Tick Fever

Well we are back from a 12 day trip to RSA. We hunted in Limpopo and Natal. We collected 21 animals. The greatest trophy was a 59 inch kudu. My 16 year old son shot 16 of the animals. We never lost an animal, which we we're told was unique. We shot Eland, Zebra, Impala,Red Hartebeest, Oryx, Blesbok,Kudu, Springbuck and Blue and Black Wildabeest. We used a 375 and a 270.

I've brought home some Tick Fever. Wow I feel like I've been rolled over by an asphalt paver. Head feels like its in a vice.

But what a great trip and nice people we met.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Patriot 59" kudu that is truly a exceptional trophy. Sounds like you guy's had a great time.

Good luck with the tick fever I had it about 2 years ago not fun I will bet your legs hurt.

Cheers Louis

What a trophy! Your son is very fortunate to have such a generous father. At that age I only thought of two things, hunting was one of them and you can guess what the other thing was... so it's a good thing that you keeping him well occupied with hunting! Glad to hear that you had both a tremendous time on your safari. Sorry to hear about your tick fever, it sounds very unpleasant.

That's kudu is a once in a lifetime trophy! He's a beauty. I'm glad you posted the picture and had a great hunt. It's great to see a father taking his son hunting. Africa is a great place to hunt!

Sorry to hear about the tick fever. There are lots of ticks in Africa. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.

Your son will always remember those days and hunts....your son will always remember and thank you for the hunt.You let him shoot most of the animals and thats great...Good job.The kudu trophy is beautiful.Sorry to hear about the tick fever.Get well soon.

My husband and I are leaving in about 30 days for South Africa. It's nice to see someone take their child. This is a first trip for us - maybe next time we will take our kids with us. Glad to hear you had a nice trip collecting many animals. Unfortunately the tick fever doesn't sound like much fun.

I took my son to Zimbabwe in 1995 when he was 16. He has since succumbed to cancer and I can tell you that the 20 days we spent together in 1995 were the best 20 days of my life.

Here I am, thinking about whether I will do a solo ele or buff hunt in 2011...or be a good father and take my son along, perhaps for plains game or an impala on my buff hunt. Then I see your post. I'm not saying my mind's made up, but you've given me food for thought.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Children are supposed to bury their parents, not the other way around. It sounds, however, like your son lived well and you two made the most of his time here. Good on you dad.

Thank you Badger Matt. I would encourage everyone to take that time with their kids while they can. We never know what the future holds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg