firearm travel and importation

pigslayer

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
been a coupla years since i traveled with a firearm to south africa.

spinning my wheels a bit and getting some conflicting info.

what do i need to do ?

as i recall all i needed was my 4457 and and my filled out saps form on arrival. i presented these on arrival with my
passport and was quickly cleared. i also had a letter of invitation.

has anything changed ? i'm seein' stuff about pre approved saps form, proof of ownership ?

guns will be in tuff pack and ammo in my checked baggage in their original packaging.

don't have lots of time to research and figured a post here will save time.

thanks !

4457 Yes
SAPS520 filled in, black ink, no signature
Yes, Letter of invitation

If you want to pay a service to get your form you can do so. See post below.
There are potential country transit issues where permits may be required.
Got the storage of guns and ammo right. Ammo in a locked box, suitable to the airlines

Look in here:

Before & After the Hunt

http://www.africahunting.com/before-after-hunt/753-saps-520-question.html

http://www.africahunting.com/before-after-hunt/8038-air2000.html

Have fun.

Pigslayer, things are still the same. Your previous 4457 is still good if you will not change what is listed on it. 4457 is your proof of ownership. Pre-approvals cost $100.00 plus.

Ammo is to be in a lockable case now, in original box. Letter of invitation is still needed.

I will be heading to SA KwaZulu Natal area in Aug. then onto Namibia.

Have a great trip, where are you hunting?

I was curious if anybody had issues with traveling with their scopes in their carry on recently. Most hunters I know do this regularly, but somebody recently mentioned to me that they heard of some having issues with this but did not have details. I have some detachable scopes I would like to put in my carry on rather than the gun case for an upcoming trip and would appreciate any feedback. Especially, if you had a bad experience with TSA traveling out of New Orleans Airport.

Pigslayer, things are still the same. Your previous 4457 is still good if you will not change what is listed on it. 4457 is your proof of ownership. Pre-approvals cost $100.00 plus.

Ammo is to be in a lockable case now, in original box. Letter of invitation is still needed.

I will be heading to SA KwaZulu Natal area in Aug. then onto Namibia.

Have a great trip, where are you hunting?

nothing set in stone yet, but quickly getting there. last minute flights are are being a real pain.

thanks all for your response !

pig

I was curious if anybody had issues with traveling with their scopes in their carry on recently. Most hunters I know do this regularly, but somebody recently mentioned to me that they heard of some having issues with this but did not have details. I have some detachable scopes I would like to put in my carry on rather than the gun case for an upcoming trip and would appreciate any feedback. Especially, if you had a bad experience with TSA traveling out of New Orleans Airport.

dont know about the usa, but i wouldnt have a scope or anything else associated with firearms in my carry on anywhere i was flying out of. most security people in any country have little or no knowledge of firearms/shooting. this means to them you have something on you to do with guns, and that will cause you questioning, possible delays etc while they make their mind up ,or call some one else in that supposedly knows what to do. a few years ago we had an american client who had hunted on a ranch in zambia i was involved with at the time who had problems. luckily by chance i was on the same BA flight out of lusaka as him, because i came across him at the last security check having an argument with some security people. for reasons known only to himself he had put the 2 bolts from his rifles in his carry on, and the security guards were going to confiscate them. he was getting angry trying to explain to them that he couldnt do anything with them, as the rest of the rifles were in the luggage hold. luckily i managed to find the BA manager and explained the situation. he went and got the bolts and i phoned our partner in the ranch who had dropped the client off, and he came and got them from the BA manager. if i hadnt been there he would minimum have lost the bolts, or the way he was going possibly arrested and missed his flight. i know its a bit different scopes to bolts , but just a warning story. :)

dont know about the usa, but i wouldnt have a scope or anything else associated with firearms in my carry on anywhere i was flying out of. most security people in any country have little or no knowledge of firearms/shooting. this means to them you have something on you to do with guns, and that will cause you questioning, possible delays etc while they make their mind up ,or call some one else in that supposedly knows what to do. a few years ago we had an american client who had hunted on a ranch in zambia i was involved with at the time who had problems. luckily by chance i was on the same BA flight out of lusaka as him, because i came across him at the last security check having an argument with some security people. for reasons known only to himself he had put the 2 bolts from his rifles in his carry on, and the security guards were going to confiscate them. he was getting angry trying to explain to them that he couldnt do anything with them, as the rest of the rifles were in the luggage hold. luckily i managed to find the BA manager and explained the situation. he went and got the bolts and i phoned our partner in the ranch who had dropped the client off, and he came and got them from the BA manager. if i hadnt been there he would minimum have lost the bolts, or the way he was going possibly arrested and missed his flight. i know its a bit different scopes to bolts , but just a warning story. :)

Good advice spike.t I say if its part of the gun leave it on the gun less Confusion and the gun is secured.

I travel with a camera backpack. It contains my camcorder, my canon d50, lenses, binoculars, spottingscope, detachable gun scope, nightvision scope, extra camera batteries, SD cards, trail cameras etc.'

When security opens it up they see all the optics and assume they are somehow related to the cameras and close everything up and send me on my way. Mind you its highly illegal to transport gen 3 night vision out of the country but the ignorance of customs is baffled by excessive cameras every time and I have never had a problem. Last year I was even in and out of amsterdam and we know how stupid those people are about guns.

YES I HAVE! thats why this year the night vision will beremoved but the scope has to stay. i have a blaser case and theres no space for the scope for the second barrel. i most likely will pack the scope in my bowcase which will. e my suitcase. we will see how it all works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg