Firearm aesthetics

Performance is #1. However, I want awesome wood and appreciate fine engraving and yes I hunt with them and scratches don’t bother me. My exception to engraving is my Rigby 275…I will have highest wood stock option but very plain as intended for this icon
Agreed.

The great thing about this is there is no "wrong" answer. If it makes you happy...go for it.

Funny you mention Winslow. I had a good friend who was a stock maker and at one time he worked for Winslow. The ones he made working for himself were of classic style..........unless the customer wanted otherwise. But thank you for not posting a picture of a Winslow.
Winslow is not the only one...some of the otherwise renowned guns from Ferlach have been given a Weatherbyesque bent at the request of the customer. It's a shame anyone will do anything like that for money...

For the Ruger n.1 aficionados, I would add a variation made up of a cooperation between Heym and Ruger many years ago - something I like very much. Too much teutonic for many maybe, but I find it super attractive. It has been chambered in european calibers like 6.5x57R and 7x65R, and to me is a great candidate for the perfect roe deer, chamois, red stag rifle. Very elegant, perfect proportions, to me is in the top 10 for shure.

p2034459800x600.jpg

British influence seems to predominate the conversation. If not for all the intelligencia killed off in the French Revolution, we might have seen more influence from the land where "shooting flying" originated. Thankfully, we Americans snatched up Mr. Dupont and what ostensibly was for the most part the only powder technology saved of the French gunpowder expertise. I regret selling a French side by side made in Mt. Merault.

I love my M70 Winchesters that are blued steel and walnut, used in all types of weather including tropical monsoons, bearing the scars of great memories in the field.

The one rifle that stopped me when I first saw it an an antique gun auction, instant love at first sight was a Lee Speed with a full rib. I believe manufactured by one of the larger English gun makers, probably Westley Richards.

I didn't have the funds back then but built my own Lee Speed tribute on a Lee Enfield MK1* (1900) action that is a joy to use.

Lee Spee Tribute.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross