Finally, my Heym 89b, 577 NE

That soldier would also have another 40# of gear on him. But of course he would be younger and most likely more fit.

I agree with your point that a 13 pound rifle should not be sworn off as too heavy. It’s a mindset that African hunting is high speed, lightweight and low drag.

But then when we go to a much more difficult environment we carry more weight. On the mountain hunts for example.

And of course weight carried in the hands feels like more of a burden than weight carried on the back. But it’s still only 13 pounds. And that is the beauty of the world of hunting. We all get to decide what is too light and what is too heavy for our selves. :cool:
"Only" thirteen pounds ...... of rifle. When a 300 gr bullet from a 9.5 lb rifle will accomplish exactly the same thing? No, I much prefer the rapier. But, I am delighted the OP is thrilled with his purchase.

They also average 21 years of age and are in superb physical condition. :unsure: I remember schlepping the an M-14 and the M-60 in Ranger School. In no way do I want to do that sort of thing today. And when did a Bundeswehr infantryman last carry a G3? They have been using the far lighter G36 since the nineties and are about to move on to the HK416A8.
I hunt with an M1A (Civilian form of M14) National Match model that is about 14 pounds loaded with a full mag. You get used to it. My .375 Roy is 13 pounds loaded. Just gotta Hulk Up a little :)

I’ve never complained about rifle weight in Africa and 13 1/2 to 14 is correct for a 577NE. Now when Sheep hunting every ounce counts and light rifles is the norm.

HH

They also average 21 years of age and are in superb physical condition. :unsure: I remember schlepping the an M-14 and the M-60 in Ranger School. In no way do I want to do that sort of thing today. And when did a Bundeswehr infantryman last carry a G3? They have been using the far lighter G36 since the nineties and are about to move on to the HK416A8.
In my day, it was the G3 and that had to be carried, too, so thank you for attesting to our soldiers' excellent physical condition.
I got to know them more by destroying large quantities of beer.
But to get back to the hunt.
Anyone who is prepared to follow the tracks of an animal in the bush and wilderness and has no kondition is only to blame and is not doing himself any favours.
I don't mind heavy things myself (yet), but my .357 fully loaded with scope alone is already eleven pounds.
At the end of the day, nobody carries their gun all day when hunting in Southern Africa (as a rule)
Before 6.30 a.m. in the morning it's not really light in the bush and by 5.p.m. it's already dark again, with 2-3 hours of lunch in between and sometimes hours of driving with the jeep to find tracks or to make distance with a noisy swamp buggy.
That's the reality as I know it. Even that is often hard work.

At the end of the day, even if someone might cry out now, the hunts in Southern Africa are harmless compared to the wilderness hunts in the Alaska Range or the Canadian Northwest Territories, provided you can tolerate the heat.
There you often sit in front of a smoky campfire in front of your spartan tent with a thin cup of coffee and are afraid to look for the horses in the morning because you are already wet when you come back or follow the sheep + moose with a lot of luggage and a rifle.
I often think about these physical challenges and with a lot of respect for these hunters who really achieve something when I'm in Africa and every evening, freshly showered and with a gin/tonic in my hand, I'm called to dinner which is then served to us by a camp staff member.
What is 14 pounds of weight of a marvellous .577 for a few hours a day (for men like us ;)
Best wishes from Munich to Texas
Foxi

Just shy of 3 years after placing my order, I am finally in possession of my dream rifle, a Heym 89b, chambered in the classic and historic .577 NE. Not a whole lot of upgrades on this one, just color case hardening with simple but tasteful gold inlays and border engraving. The pictures don't do this rifle justice...it looks much better in person!

The positive side of waiting so long for delivery of the rifle, was that I was able to put together a decent stock of reloading components. I have several loads ready for testing, including full power 750 grain woodleigh softs with a variety of powders (R15 w/ filler, H4831, IMR4831), 650 grain hard cast using an Accurate Mold with AA5744 powder, and 650 grain woodleigh BPE softs with H4198, both of the 650 grain loads using kynoch foam filler wads.

I can't wait to shoot this thing, and I hope to get to the range within the next few weeks. I will post a range report on this forum when I do…

Is it too heavy for carrying long distances? Check.

Is it over-powered for everything other than pachyderms? Check.

Does it rank as my most unrealistic firearms purchase to date? Check.

Does it put a smile on my face every time I shoulder it? Absolutely.

View attachment 593478

View attachment 593479

View attachment 593480

View attachment 593481

View attachment 593482
FROG STEALER: WOW !! That is a great looking double rifle — just perfect “tastefully understated”, nice wood, shadow line cheek piece, case hardened really “pops” ! Just looking at the photo’s gave me a “Bruise & some hearing loss” but Worth it. The barrels look bigger than my 12 ga Fox double. That would put a smile on any Hunter’s face - even if it never fired a round. Congratulations on an heirloom that will exist for centuries to come.

Last edited:
Hey Frog Stealer. Any chance you could please post a few more pics on a lighter background to get a better look at that wood.
That table is nice but I think your new rifle is nicer cheers :)
I’m not a very good photographer, but here you go:

IMG_2780.jpeg
IMG_2779.jpeg
IMG_2778.jpeg
IMG_2777.jpeg

Thanks, the recoil pad is from NECG, it’s a really nice pad. I’m sure Heym orders them by the crate in unfinished condition.
It sure looks great. I just ordered a custom M98 Magnum with a similar recoil pad, but I believe it will be a Pachmayr Old English in my case since the NECG ones does not seems to be available here in Europe.

Just shy of 3 years after placing my order, I am finally in possession of my dream rifle, a Heym 89b, chambered in the classic and historic .577 NE. Not a whole lot of upgrades on this one, just color case hardening with simple but tasteful gold inlays and border engraving. The pictures don't do this rifle justice...it looks much better in person!

The positive side of waiting so long for delivery of the rifle, was that I was able to put together a decent stock of reloading components. I have several loads ready for testing, including full power 750 grain woodleigh softs with a variety of powders (R15 w/ filler, H4831, IMR4831), 650 grain hard cast using an Accurate Mold with AA5744 powder, and 650 grain woodleigh BPE softs with H4198, both of the 650 grain loads using kynoch foam filler wads.

I can't wait to shoot this thing, and I hope to get to the range within the next few weeks. I will post a range report on this forum when I do…

Is it too heavy for carrying long distances? Check.

Is it over-powered for everything other than pachyderms? Check.

Does it rank as my most unrealistic firearms purchase to date? Check.

Does it put a smile on my face every time I shoulder it? Absolutely.

View attachment 593478

View attachment 593479

View attachment 593480

View attachment 593481

View attachment 593482
Magnificent rifle!!! It will bring you years of enjoyment even if you never killed a thing with it......but I'm sure will.

What a great looking rifle! thanks for sharing.

Nice double. Your 577 is about the right weight for Caliber. Have fun shooting and hunting with it.

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle.

There are so few of these, I've personally ever seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.