Finally, my Heym 89b, 577 NE

Other than caliber... that is exactly the way I would have ordered it... beautiful tasteful rifle, congrats.

Just shy of 3 years after placing my order, I am finally in possession of my dream rifle, a Heym 89b, chambered in the classic and historic .577 NE. Not a whole lot of upgrades on this one, just color case hardening with simple but tasteful gold inlays and border engraving. The pictures don't do this rifle justice...it looks much better in person!

The positive side of waiting so long for delivery of the rifle, was that I was able to put together a decent stock of reloading components. I have several loads ready for testing, including full power 750 grain woodleigh softs with a variety of powders (R15 w/ filler, H4831, IMR4831), 650 grain hard cast using an Accurate Mold with AA5744 powder, and 650 grain woodleigh BPE softs with H4198, both of the 650 grain loads using kynoch foam filler wads.

I can't wait to shoot this thing, and I hope to get to the range within the next few weeks. I will post a range report on this forum when I do…

Is it too heavy for carrying long distances? Check.

Is it over-powered for everything other than pachyderms? Check.

Does it rank as my most unrealistic firearms purchase to date? Check.

Does it put a smile on my face every time I shoulder it? Absolutely.

View attachment 593478

View attachment 593479

View attachment 593480

View attachment 593481

View attachment 593482
Cograts/ Factory regulated ammo? Test target? You have the besf.

Since Heym opted for .577 on the 89B...why dont offer a .600 on the same action..should be big enough..?

That said...a very nice rifle this..!

Cograts/ Factory regulated ammo? Test target? You have the besf.
Chris forgot to include the paperwork when he shipped this, but I should be getting it later this week. I know it was regulated with LFB, a German brand. That being said, I finally got to the range for a quick session, here is my first group at 50 yds:

IMG_2791.jpeg

Load was 137 grains IMR-4831, 750 grain woodleigh soft. I’m willing to bet I threw that 4th shot high, but not to shabby for my first time out. More to come when I get more time to test some different loads.

I believe that LFB gets their brass from Bertram

Chris forgot to include the paperwork when he shipped this, but I should be getting it later this week. I know it was regulated with LFB, a German brand. That being said, I finally got to the range for a quick session, here is my first group at 50 yds:

View attachment 595790

Load was 137 grains IMR-4831, 750 grain woodleigh soft. I’m willing to bet I threw that 4th shot high, but not to shabby for my first time out. More to come when I get more time to test some different loads.
You're right. Heym regulates their .577 Nitro Express & .600 Nitro Express double rifles with Labor Fur Ballistik tombac jacketed soft points & round nosed FMJ solids.

Very good ammunition. But unfortunately practically impossible to source in recent years, post COVID-19.

I used their 900Gr FMJ solids out of a Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector in .600 Nitro Express to do this.
Screenshot_20220713-013412_01.jpg

You're right. Heym regulates their .577 Nitro Express & .600 Nitro Express double rifles with Labor Fur Ballistik tombac jacketed soft points & round nosed FMJ solids.

Very good ammunition. But unfortunately practically impossible to source in recent years, post COVID-19.

I used their 900Gr FMJ solids out of a Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector in .600 Nitro Express to do this.
View attachment 595830

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

I know I'd probably regret buying something like this but it's awfully bloody tempting! That might be the nicest double I have ever seen!

What we need is an ammunition manufacturer who can make proper .577 and .600NE ammunition..AND supply world wide. I and friends tried to persuade Norma to do it (their African PH ammo is handloaded at the factory anyway..) but alas.. There is a market, albeit small..the top european makers and hunters need it..

For the record..I am not associated with Norma in any way..

Last edited:
What we need is an ammunition manufacturer who can make proper .577 and .600NE ammunition..AND supply world wide. I and friends tried to persuade Norma to do it (their African PH ammo is handloaded at the factory anyway..) but alas.. There is a market, albeit small..the top european makers and hunters need it..

I will always hand load my own ammunition, but it would be nice to have more factory options. I know Norma makes some great stuff. Maybe with the resurgence in orders for the 577 (I know at least a few guys on this forum are waiting for theirs), there will be enough demand for factories to produce.

That's a really nice group. Curious, if you care to share your thoughts on Buffalo Bore's Solids? .. If solids were of interest to you. Thank you.
Dan, I haven’t personally used these, but they use cutting edge solids, which have a stellar reputation. I’m sure they would work great. The 750 grain cutting edge solid is something I would eventually like to try.

Dan, I haven’t personally used these, but they use cutting edge solids, which have a stellar reputation. I’m sure they would work great. The 750 grain cutting edge solid is something I would eventually like to try.
I'm sorry I deleted the question. It's pretty subjective, haven't slept yet ; However, thank you. Studying, in theory modern projectiles has been interesting. I was just pleased to know there's something available & you'd be willing to try them.

Last edited:

I'm trying to picture how small of a slice in the market the .577NE and 600NE consist of.
Dangerous game cartridges in general already seem to be on the decline, I imagine calibers .375 and up make up 1% of the total ammo market? 577/600 the top 1% of that?

Congratulations, my friend. She is indeed a beauty. May you share many dreams and adventures together. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikoans2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you