Finally got a Highland Stalker!

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle. I have been trying to make my smarter half understand that I need one in .275 Rigby. Enjoy!
I'm actually surprised at how popular the 275 Rigby is, are most people choosing that calibre for it's actual performance or more because of the history? Maybe a combination of the 2? @Red Leg you have a 275 HS, what was your choice based on? I'm just a bit surprised there seems to be alot more people leaning towards the 275 in the HS rather than 308 or 30-06.

Gorgeous riflle. Great chambering. 1-6x Trijicon, Swarovski or Leupold VX-6

I'm actually surprised at how popular the 275 Rigby is, are most people choosing that calibre for it's actual performance or more because of the history? Maybe a combination of the 2? @Red Leg you have a 275 HS, what was your choice based on? I'm just a bit surprised there seems to be alot more people leaning towards the 275 in the HS rather than 308 or 30-06.
I have always liked the 7x57. It is very nearly the most perfectly balanced whitetail round one could choose. It is also uncommon enough in the States that not everyone has one. It will not do anything that a .270 or 30-06 won't do, and conceivably, depending on game and range, a bit less. But for deer-sized game at normal ranges, it is just about perfect. I ordered my HS with a slightly longer throat to accommodate 170 class bullets, and it works beautifully so loaded on PG up through sable.

So, take that practical capability, marry it with the name Rigby and the designation .275, and I couldn't imagine a more useful or nostalgic rifle. It has certainly proven so.

Last edited:
When they first came out, they were running around $9-10k USD. Now they're around $15K USD. I would buy one today at the original price, but just can't quite pull the trigger at today's pricing. They are the nicest looking bolt gun on the market IMO. Just wish they'd do a 375 H&H in the same rifle. It would be perfect.

Buy one in 9.3x62, it is a perfect marriage of rifle to cartridge.

I'm considering Africa in 2024, just no idea on where I want go and how to go about it, haven't even started researching yet really. I know what I want to hunt though-buffalo and warthog are the main 2, also maybe eland.

Warthogs are Cool!

A .275Rigby would be a nice match for the HS since there is no .375H&H.

Given I like 7mm-08 so much I think the 7x57 aka .275rigby would be great in a classic looking rifle..

I think my .280a.i. is great but it's to ugly for Africa.

You only need to post "Looking for" and you will get numerous offers. I think all outfitters will tailor a package it's what they do for a living.

I agree it's a great caliber. But they still should make one in 375!
To be honest I think the rifle is maybe a bit too small for the 375H&H but I think I get what you are saying, the big game model is probably a bit too heavy for the 375H&H. I think the 375H&H fits in-between the 2 models.

To be honest I think the rifle is maybe a bit too small for the 375H&H but I think I get what you are saying, the big game model is probably a bit too heavy for the 375H&H. I think the 375H&H fits in-between the 2 models.
I have to agree, I have seen a big game 375h&h with a z8 1-8x24 weigh in at 13 lbs
just out of interest what does the 9.3 Highland stalker weigh in at?

I have to agree, I have seen a big game 375h&h with a z8 1-8x24 weigh in at 13 lbs
just out of interest what does the 9.3 Highland stalker weigh in at?

Naked rifle is meant to be around 7.8lbs so with hexalock mounts and a low power scope I think it will come in at around 8.6lbs

I'm considering Africa in 2024, just no idea on where I want go and how to go about it, haven't even started researching yet really. I know what I want to hunt though-buffalo and warthog are the main 2, also maybe eland.

If you fancy zambia give me a shout and will see if we can make a plan.... :D Beers: ...but don't leave it too long as '24 unfortunately is nearly here the way time flies...

Rifle turned up at my dealer today and Ok @WAB so maybe you were right, the wood is much nicer than I expected, I am super impressed with it. And as always with Rigby the fit and finish is absolutely perfect.

Still waiting on my PTA, probably another week before I can take it from the dealer.

Very nice rifle. (y)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 9.29.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 9.29.08 AM.png
    896.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 9.29.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 9.29.12 AM.png
    834 KB · Views: 52
Nice,
PTA requirements are a P.I.T.A

If I was buying one to sit in the safe or for resale then it would have been in the 275 Rigby. But I bought mine to use so I went for the’06.
However, in saying that when I bought my HS I already had a big game in 375 H&H. If I hadn’t have had that then the 9.3 may have been the cartridge for me.
I’m pretty happy though with my Rigbys . All shoot well. And with an ‘06, a 375 and the 416 I reckon I’ve got the field covered.
Back to scoping your 9.3. I put a 1” tubed 4x scope on my HS with EAW mounts. Pretty happy with that. But I reckon for the 9.3 maybe a 1-4 power. But in saying that I run a 4x fixed on my FN 98 in 9.3 and I’m happy with that.
but I think that a lot of HS out there are wearing scopes that are physically too big for them.
And finally……I’m surprised at the prices for the new Rigby. I ordered my HS when they first came out and I’m pretty sure it cost me just over AUD $10K. But then our dollar was a lot higher at the time. Anyway….doesn’t matter what they are worth/cost mine are keepers.
Hope you get to shoot your new rifle soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross