Favorite game to eat on your safari

Sable filets cooked on the braii in Mozambique...

While most of the African Game animals (Hyena ?) are very tasty if prepared nicely by a good Cook/Chef, Gemsbok, Sable, are right up there as with Eland, Bushpig is tasty & will start a fight in our camp lol

Scimitar Horned Oryx & Addax are also top fare, part of the reason most are gone from Wild Africa I fear ?

On the cooking on camp fire coals, my Girlfriend burns, over cooks, under cooks just about ever thing from Roasts to Cakes & Cookies in a perfectly fine electic oven & keeps blameing it, I got pissed off one day & said Hell our cooks use a few Bricks shaped like a box with hot coals & cook restaurant quality food

I'll get another one Shortly !

I’ve enjoyed almost all game in Africa, a couple of memorable ones were guinea fowl stew in Mozambique, eland burgers and warthog sausage in the eastern cape and klipsringer in the Limpopo. The only forgettable were reedbuck stomach in Mozambique that was provided by my trackers same with bushpig stomach in the eastern cape.

I've never taken Zebra, but After reading this I may have to hunt one just to eat it. My favorite so far is Eland, followed closely by Kudu,then Impala. Bushpig breakfast sausage was nothing to sneeze at either.

Eland filets and a good SA Cabernet or pinot noir!

Most African antelope are good to eat, as long as it is cooked properly. Some of the best are eland (as long as bulls are not in the rut). Also desert type game like gemsbok and hartebeest are excellent. Sable meat is good also. Of the smaller animals, most are good to eat, particularly reedbuck. Nyala are also good. A lot depends on the condition of the animal, and if it is shot well and not wounded before killing.

The only one which I absolutely disgust... Is waterbuck. A waterbuck, particularly an old one, has a very oily substance that gets in the hairs of the skin. When skinning the animal, great care must be taken to avoid getting the hair or oil on the meat. An old trophy bull does taste a bit strong, but a young waterbuck tastes quite fine.

This was my last meal in Africa from my most recent African safari in 2022.
IMG_20230404_182121.jpg

Panko breaded eland cutlet with fried rice, topped with a poached sunny side up egg.

I didn’t taste anything wrong with waterbuck but I made sure one guy held and pulled the skin while the other used the knife so we had no oily contamination. But it definitely wasn’t eland or springbok. Like Hunter-Habib said great care has to be taken while skinning.

I really like Eland and Kudu.

On my first hunt, in Zim, our camp chef was fair at best. However, he made an impala shepard’s pie that was so good, I had the leftovers for breakfast the next day and had him make another one for a couple of more breakfasts. He did make some good kudu burgers that were more of a meatloaf that were good. I had always heard eland was great, but booth my wife and I thought it was just this side of shoe leather. Buffalo was was tough too.
On my second hunt, Jamy Traut’s chef, Colin, was incredible. Eland, blue wildebeest, gemsbok: all delicious.

I’ve never had a bad meal in Africa (except buffalo stomach). Which I was advised not to try. Zebra and any antelope is always good eating. But Eland is the finest meat I have ever tried, seasoned and rare it is fantastic. This June I will be hunting in RSA at Kwalata with @Doug3006 he has Eland on his list, hopefully he will share.

I’ve never had a bad meal in Africa (except buffalo stomach). Which I was advised not to try. Zebra and any antelope is always good eating. But Eland is the finest meat I have ever tried, seasoned and rare it is fantastic. This June I will be hunting in RSA at Kwalata with @Doug3006 he has Eland on his list, hopefully he will share.
You can have one backstrap, I’ll have the other!

Young warthog ….. was very very tasty.

Toss my hat in on the Hartmann's Zebra filet. Just outstanding. Eland is my #2 and lastly a springbok backstrap rare off the hot coals! Mmmmmmmm.

If Im completely honest, I really cant tell a lot of difference between one antelope and another unless I do a side by side taste comparison.. theyre all excellent to me..

We've done the taste test thing twice... once we did impala, sable, kudu, and wildebeest... there were 4 PH in camp and 6 hunters.. in a blind sampling kudu won by a pretty large margin..

Then in 2022 we did a zebra, kudu, impala blind test.. there were 6 hunters/observers present and 3 PH present... everyone, to include the PHs bet on the kudu.. and everyone was wrong... the zebra hands down won the day (was 100% unanimous)..

Here’s my Top 3
3) Eland T-Bones off the braii
2) Namibian Schnitzel - many species
1) OX TAIL - Buffalo or Eland

I’m looking forward to some Namibian schnitzel in August!

Lets look at this.
Warthog bacon for breakfast was excellent. so was the bush pig and warthog sausage links.

impala, sand grouse, ginnie fowl, and other birds and game were great appetizers at the campfire before you had the evening meal.

Eland, gemsbok, croc, hippo, waterbuck, nyala, springbok, hartebeest, wildebeest, bush buck, giraffe, zebra, and I am sure I missed some were excellent table fair.

Oxtail, braised kudu, impala liver for breakfast--yum, sand grouse appetizers, sweet and sour warthog backstrap

I found all of the African wild game very tasty but Eland topped the list. Surprisingly ostrich was at the bottom, I found it grainy in texture. Considering that years ago it was aggressively promoted here in Alberta, I thought it would have been better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!