Favorite game to eat on your safari

Funny how Zebra seems a firm favourite and I (and most friends and family that hunt or live in Africa) have never considered eating it. To me/us it is horse meat and that is something we generally consider "not fit for human consumption"... Might have to give it a go sometime....

For me Impala and Eland has always been sought after table fare.
It was delicious. In fact I wrote an article for Field Ethos about it called "Pajama Donkeys are delicious." Can't link to it here but its easily enough found.

I will relate an experience I had on the off chance it helps another hunter out one day.
I had never given a second thought about eating my fill of red game meat seven days a week for several weeks on end no matter if the animals came from a desert, or anywhere else.

After a hunt in Namibia I was accompanying a friend on a trip to buy some equipment for his business. One of my ankles had swollen up a little in the past couple of days but I dismissed it as a result of hard walking. The gentleman selling the equipment noticed my ankle and told me it was gout. I will attach a picture of the meds he graciously gave me. The swelling was gone the next day.

Evidently desert animals retain more uric acid than animals living in environments where they have the luxury of access to more water. I am sure there were other factors but I have never had a case of it before, or since. I have been told by some that are prone to gout that it can be painful enough to take a lot of fun out of good walk.

View attachment 527489

I have used those tablets a couple of times. Works well on gout and constipation. Better have plenty of water on hand to wash your butt after using that stuff.

Anything I took.

I can't complain about any game meat I've had. But meat from an animal I took is always better than any game meat that was taken by someone else. That is one downside to a lodge with multiple hunters IMO.

My favorite memory of game meat at camp is a ZLT (Zebra Lettuce and Tomato) sandwich from the Burchell's zebra I took the day prior. It was a personal goal, both the zebra and the sandwich, and I really enjoyed it for lunch and a steak from it that evening.

After just getting back a couple days ago I'd say all of it.

Eland, kudu, and zebra were top 3 without a doubt. I cannot pick one though.

Wildebeest, blesbok, and impala once again were delicious but just a tick below the top 3.

Eland was #1 for me. I did not have an opportunity for Zebra so I find that very interesting and hope I get a chance to try it some day.

Eland is my favorite. I also love the assorted sausages from Kudu, impala, etc.

A standout dish that our chef made was fried Gemsbok steaks with gravy.

but, I enjoyed everything our chef, James at @limcroma prepared.

Number ONE:

Gerenuk

A very close second: (and not infrequently edges out #1):

Dik-Dik

After a successful day in the bush, a refreshing shower, then a couple gin & tonics around the fire pit and then eland or reedbuck for dinner with some chips (fried potatoes). Now that’s living!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlendaMccl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!