Favorite Drink?

Beer, at the end of the day cold beer is good, whether it's in Africa or Australia beer would be my regular drink but I enjoy our Bundy rum and many other sprits and liquers as a treat.
I was introduced to Amarula Cream many years ago. I enjoyed that too.

I stick to Miller Genuine Draft as opposed to the local SAB beers. A spice gold and coke is never turned down either. And a pitcher of mojitos is always great on a hot afternoon (sometimes I even share the pitcher).

As for neat spirits such as whiskey, if I wanted a mouth full of low octane, high lead then I'd drink the stuff.... that comment will probably put me on more people's ignore/block list but I never developed a taste for neat spirits.

Bowmore is my "go-to" whiskey, South African Shiraz, any Rhône style red and a local roasted coffee called Lion's Heart.
I already knew you had good taste in Scotch :A Thumbs Up:

I like a red blend out of RSA called the Wolf Trap. Wife likes it a lot.

Any RSA wine recommendations would be appreciated (helps me convince her to go, or let me go to pick some up…in the worlds longest booze run).

I already knew you had good taste in Scotch :A Thumbs Up:

I like a red blend out of RSA called the Wolf Trap. Wife likes it a lot.

Any RSA wine recommendations would be appreciated (helps me convince her to go, or let me go to pick some up…in the worlds longest booze run).
Wolf Trap is a nice 'every day' wine, Fairview's Goats Do Roam Red is similar and in the same price range.

To name but a few:
  • Saronsberg
  • Gabriëlskloof
  • Anthonij Rupert
  • Cape of Good Hope Riebeeksrivier
  • Cederberg
  • Rust en Vrede
  • Kanonkop
  • Muratie

Laphroaig or Oban.
GT in the summer day.(we only have about one summerday a year:()
I truly hate the heavy peat whiskeys - particularly Laphroaig.

This one is a little different, but extremely good for you and seems to reduce iron levels in the blood for we who have hemachromatosis:
Into a large drinking glass squeeze half a lemon, teaspoon of honey, teaspoon of turmeric, tablespoon of coconut oil, pinch of black pepper, pinch of cayen pepper, half a teaspoon ginger, half teaspoon cinamon. Fill with warm water, stir well and down it.

This one is a little different, but extremely good for you and seems to reduce iron levels in the blood for we who have hemachromatosis:
Into a large drinking glass squeeze half a lemon, teaspoon of honey, teaspoon of turmeric, tablespoon of coconut oil, pinch of black pepper, pinch of cayen pepper, half a teaspoon ginger, half teaspoon cinamon. Fill with warm water, stir well and down it.
Two ounces of a good rum could only improve it. :unsure:

I stick to Miller Genuine Draft as opposed to the local SAB beers. A spice gold and coke is never turned down either. And a pitcher of mojitos is always great on a hot afternoon (sometimes I even share the pitcher).

As for neat spirits such as whiskey, if I wanted a mouth full of low octane, high lead then I'd drink the stuff.... that comment will probably put me on more people's ignore/block list but I never developed a taste for neat spirits.

I like my spirits neat, whiskey, rhum, cognac, gin, vodka, armagnac, calvados, schnapps....

And no, I won´t put you in my ignore/block list :D Cheers:

Fellow Outdoor Enthusiasts,

I’m with Red Leg, Ryan and others who cannot abide heavy peat flavored whiskey aka: smoke infused whiskey.

On that note, some sad misguided soul, brought a bottle of Laphroaig to my bar, several years ago, left it there and it’s still here, down on the floor, over in a dark corner.

At this stage, it remains unmolested.

Well, except that, due to curiosity, yours truly took approximately one half teaspoon of it………….Mercy !

One sip per lifetime was it for me…..gross.

It tasted like burnt plastic.

I’m fond of a small handful of Scotch whiskeys, Oban being one of the best ones, IMO.

Admittedly, it sometimes (small distillery and their product varies slightly, from batch to batch), has an ever so slight hint of “peatyness” / hint of smoke.
Underline “Ever So Slight” and “hint”.

This “pinch of peat” is acceptable and, Oban on the rocks is liquid paradise .

Anyway, blah blah blah, out,
Velo Dog.

I’m a fan of many hard liquors. I feel fortunate from a financial perspective that scotch isn’t one of them. I’ve tried. I really have. And I’ve got the heart for it: despite a youthful misadventure with gin in 1985, I bucked up and learned to love it before my first trip to Africa 25 years later. Enjoy it to this day. But scotch smells like formaldehyde to me. I’ve just never learned to enjoy or even tolerate it. Good, bad, cheap or expensive, I’ve failed every time. I suppose it’s one of the few of life’s finer pleasures that just aren’t meant for me.

I’m with Red Leg, Ryan and others who cannot abide heavy peat flavored whiskey aka: smoke infused whiskey.

On that note, some sad misguided soul, brought a bottle of Laphroaig to my bar, several years ago, left it there and it’s still here, down on the floor, over in a dark corner.

Well, except that, due to curiosity, yours truly took approximately one half teaspoon of it………….Mercy !

I’m fond of a small handful of Scotch whiskeys, Oban being one of the best ones, IMO.

Admittedly, it sometimes (small distillery and their product varies slightly, from batch to batch), has an ever so slight hint of “peatyness” / hint of smoke.

Velo Dog.

I was at a whiskey tasting and a young woman commented, with innocent honesty, "it tastes like licking a fireman's helmet"

On second thought, maybe not so "innocent"

But it made me laugh anyways.

My father, a fan of the peat whiskeys, thinks he has a heathen in the house as I prefer blends, Ryes and bourbons. Worse, I have developed a taste for grappa! Probably a sign of early onset dementia, but quite fun to drink.

I have to admit that I've come to appreciate SOME whiskeys/whiskys somewhat later in life. For years anytime I drank any brandy, whiskey, vodka, tequila, etc. "neat" all I tasted was alcohol and they all tasted about the same. I finally made a concerted effort to try to really taste the different flavors in the alcohol and eventually I found that I could enjoy some of the Whiskeys and a few bourbons. My palette is still not very sophisticated so I'm sure that my choices will be looked down upon my some, but I enjoy an occasional glass of Jamesons or Henry McKenna 10 yr.

I more often go for mixed drinks; a good Margarita is always appreciated, and it's hard to beat a nice cool gin and tonic on a warm Summer afternoon.

Best regards,

- Edradour whisky (smallest distillery in Scotland)
- Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben
- Gin Tonic: Gin in this order: Mombasa Club, Ginmare, KWV Kruxland GIn, Highclere Castle gin, Beefeater, whatever is available; Tonic in this order: Fever Tree Light tonic, any Fever Tree tonic, whatever is available
- Pol Roget Champagne
- Rondel Brut Cava
- Cardenal Mendoza brandy
- Argentine Malbecs
- 1963 Port
- any really good Port
- Whatever Marc from Rigby is buying

Happy Christmas and Stay thirsty my friends!

Wolf Trap is a nice 'every day' wine, Fairview's Goats Do Roam Red is similar and in the same price range.

To name but a few:
  • Saronsberg
  • Gabriëlskloof
  • Anthonij Rupert
  • Cape of Good Hope Riebeeksrivier
  • Cederberg
  • Rust en Vrede
  • Kanonkop
  • Muratie
I belonged to the Rust en Vrede wine club as I found 90% of their wines very palatable. The hostesses in the tasting room (all beautiful blondes in red dresses) may have helped the tasting process!

Their Boet Erasmus red is fantastic!

Velo Dog.
Velo Dog, try Glen Grant some time, no peat, no smoke. The whiskys fit on a sort of taste matrix with light and fruity in the bottom left corner and heavy smoke and peat in the top right. Glen Grant is in the bottom left, Lagavulin is at the top right. Glenfiddich is around the middle. It is fascinating how a particular house manages to keep so consistent a flavour for their product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg