Farquharson 450/400

Is this the rifle that failed in "The Ghost and the Darkness"?

;)

HWL

How does Bradshaw's single shot rising block compare?
To a golden age Gibbs, Farquharson, or WR it doesn’t - not because it isn’t technically or aesthetically their equal (or frankly - superior) - but it will never have the "value" cachet of one of those classic rifles.

That said, I would be hard pressed to come up with a reason to trade mine for any period single. Firstly, I love the lean, slim lines of the Bradshaw. Secondly, the action fascinates me and I am stunned that no English maker came up with it back in the day. Finally, the Bradshaw is designed to employ a scope in Talley rings fitted to unobtrusive bases milled in the action/ quarter rib.

A dressed up Dakota Model 10 might be a better comparison, though I think the Bradshaw is a far more elegant, old world looking design.
Bradshaw Rising Block Single Shot

Bradshaw Rising Block Single Shot

The same rifle as pictured on Bradshaw's site. http://www.bradshawgunandrifle.com/
bradshaw.jpg

It is a very beautiful rifle, I have always admired the lines of the Farquharson, but have the budget of the #1 (Have 3 that I have customized to my liking) @Red Leg The color case on yours is very well done.
@TOBY458 after you get your #1 in 300 H&H and soot it a couple times and then decide to sell it PM me as I would be interested in the #1, brass, and dies.:A Stirring:
@AZDAVE , I was just going to ask him if it was for sale yet.

@AZDAVE , I was just going to ask him if it was for sale yet.
Not hardly! Although I am guilty of this offence at times, I believe the 300 may be spared this indignity. She is pretty safe in the safe at the moment......;)

While I'd love to own a Westley Richards, Daniel Fraser, etc. Count me as a plus one to customized No.1. Mine is in 450/400 NE and quite the looker in my opinion. Pleasant to shoot and easy to carry all day in the bush. Here are some shots of her in her native environment.

20210523_111948.jpg
20210527_094146.jpg

I recently posted a picture of my newly acquired Ruger No 1, 450/400 on another Africa hunting site, and some rude person had the audacity to put up a picture of his 450/400 single loader. Does he not know that I will now feel inferior from now on??? That is until I find me one of these beauties....;)
My God this is a beautiful rifle! Although it's merely a single barrel, it surpasses most double rifles in the looks department, and I would have to shoot something big and nasty with it....
I've always loved the looks of the Farquharson single shot rifles, and this one does not disappoint.
Do any of you own one similar to this?

View attachment 407106
@TOBY458
Mate go and buy some timber build a bridge and get over it.
You will oneday have your desires.
Bob

The Ruger No. 1 is not going to make you any money unless it's chambered in .25-06 or. 458 Lott. People seem to lose their minds and empty their wallets on those. A sibling of my Lott went for $3800 and I have seen folks pay absurd amounts for a .25-06. I think you could recoup your money on those guns.
@Forrest Halley
A No1 in 270 with a 26 inch barrel holds it price as well.
Bob

I have a beautiful Ruger No. 1 with 25" 25-'06 Brux barrel and nice English walnut stock. It is waiting for engraving by Sam Welch a little later this year. If I read the posts above correctly, I may not lose money on this rifle ;-)

While I'd love to own a Westley Richards, Daniel Fraser, etc. Count me as a plus one to customized No.1. Mine is in 450/400 NE and quite the looker in my opinion. Pleasant to shoot and easy to carry all day in the bush. Here are some shots of her in her native environment.

View attachment 410131 View attachment 410132
Was this stock refinished or is it full custom? Either way who did the work? I have one in factory form I have debated "loosing money" on as well. Beautiful rifle sir.

@John J

I bought this used as a finished product. It is a full custom cut to the same proportions as the regular No.1 stock with Henry forend. MJ Tulo out of Lakewood, CO (outside Denver) did the stock and blue work. It's a fine dark piece of wood and he did a great job. Believe he's a card carrying member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild.

I recently posted a picture of my newly acquired Ruger No 1, 450/400 on another Africa hunting site, and some rude person had the audacity to put up a picture of his 450/400 single loader. Does he not know that I will now feel inferior from now on??? That is until I find me one of these beauties....;)
My God this is a beautiful rifle! Although it's merely a single barrel, it surpasses most double rifles in the looks department, and I would have to shoot something big and nasty with it....
I've always loved the looks of the Farquharson single shot rifles, and this one does not disappoint.

View attachment 407106
hi ! i actualy own the rifle in above pic LOL ! its a W J Jeffery 450/400 3' ne and according to serial number was built in 1903 . original stock was bust when i got it so it was restocked but every thing else is original ! i collect british falling block rifles and own a few like westley richards , gibbs , jeffery etc

hi ! i actualy own the rifle in above pic LOL ! its a W J Jeffery 450/400 3' ne and according to serial number was built in 1903 . original stock was bust when i got it so it was restocked but every thing else is original ! i collect british falling block rifles and own a few like westley richards , gibbs , jeffery etc
Well....you own one of the finest looking rifles I've ever seen! Feel free to post some more pictures!

@TOBY458 here you go Westley Richards & Co Model 1897 falling block ~ Comes with Ammo~!
http://www.vintagedoubles.com/catalog/?sort=5

scroll down the page. I have bought several rifles and shotguns from Kirby, good guy and easy to work with.

@sierraone We will have to play rock paper scissors in best 3 outta 5.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.34 AM.png
    928.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.39 AM.png
    591.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.41 AM.png
    611.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.42 AM.png
    622 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.59.43 AM.png
    559.7 KB · Views: 64
I have only shot the rifle off hand, nothing off the bench, so I can't quote you group sizes, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a buffalo hunt, if I were to undertake such a thing at my age.
What‘s your age if I may ask?

The Ruger No. 1 is not going to make you any money unless it's chambered in .25-06 or. 458 Lott. People seem to lose their minds and empty their wallets on those. A sibling of my Lott went for $3800 and I have seen folks pay absurd amounts for a .25-06. I think you could recoup your money on those guns.
Agreed, Forrest; I've had three No. 1s worked on, partly because they don't come ex-factory in calibers I fancy: 17 F/Ball, 4300WSM 9throated out), and 9.3X64. Unless someone as crazy as I am, I know they won't recoup my investment; Farquahrsons, etc are well beyond my wallet's capacity. I'm wondering if Ruger will produece another run of new releases, in interesting calibers; patiently waiting ....

View attachment 407106
A question is it 3" or 3 1/4"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.