Farquharson 450/400

The Soroka rifles can be found here: https://www.sorokarifle.com

Rigby and Mayfair Engineering are currently working on newly manufactured Farquarson actions. Rigby says that the prototype rifle passed proof back in March: https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/rigby-workshop-march-2021/

No news as to whether it is the Gibbs-Farquharson or Farquharson-Woodward, the latter of which cocks on closing and is generally considered the better design.

I have a Dakota model 10, and am still astonished at its poor quality.

Holts have a Westley Richards .577 (3") takedown coming up for sale next week at an estimate of £3,000 - 5,000: https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...alelot=A0621++++730+&refno=++159692&saletype=
What did you find wrong with your Dakota 10? Is fit and finish not up to par with most other 10s?

I have only shot the rifle off hand, nothing off the bench, so I can't quote you group sizes, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a buffalo hunt, if I were to undertake such a thing at my age.
Come on Xausa, the buffalo is probably old too, go fot it!

You are correct. An upgraded No. 1 brings relatively little premium for all the investment made. My .300 H&H is an example.

tricked out Ruger No. 1

I purchased the rifle, to which someone had added new English walnut stock, from Hendershots a decade ago for about what any other used No. 1 would sell. I had Turnbull case color the receiver, rib, grip cap and lever and traditionally rust blue the remainder. I think it looks about as English as a No. 1 can be pimped out to look. I would guess my personal investment in the rifle is around $1400, and I am sure the original owner spent a grand or more on that stock. Were I to sell it tomorrow, I would be lucky to get $250 over the price of an original lightly used No. 1 in the same caliber.

And I had a look at the Soroka as well - lovely rifle - but damn. :oops:
It is not all about the money - look at the beauty of what you have man!

It is not all about the money - look at the beauty of what you have man!
Don’t misinterpret my comments on “value.” I had the work done because the final product pleased me. But, it is also fair to note that it will not do as well for the estate as some of my other favorite things,

Don’t misinterpret my comments on “value.” I had the work done because the final product pleased me. But, it is also fair to note that it will not do as well for the estate as some of my other favorite things,
Yes, I understand your point Red Leg. I honestly think though that the Ruger No1 is way under valued - it is stylish, clever design, well made. Of course it can be improved upon, and you and others have done so. But then it's inteinsic worth carries that so well. Yes, you can make a silk purse out of this sow's ear, because it was a damn good ear to start with!

Question out of pure ignorance, does an RJ Renner work over carry any more value given their name recognition the space?

Joe, I am currently applying for adoption especially if I could inherit a No. 1 like that in a classic cartridge chambering. I am house trained for the most part but may consume more of your scotch than a nice Swedish Lass that may be a better option

"Question out of pure ignorance, does an RJ Renner work over carry any more value given their name recognition the space?"

Not unless someone just wants an example of his work. Just like most custom guns.

It is a very beautiful rifle, I have always admired the lines of the Farquharson, but have the budget of the #1 (Have 3 that I have customized to my liking) @Red Leg The color case on yours is very well done.
@TOBY458 after you get your #1 in 300 H&H and soot it a couple times and then decide to sell it PM me as I would be interested in the #1, brass, and dies.:A Stirring:

W J Jeffery rifle. This look like an older Rifle to me. Would love to know if am wrong.
If you're referring to my rifle, it was built around a Belgian action, with shotgun style safety. Reinhart Fajan duplicated the old oil soaked stock for me, using the original grip cal and butt plate. No maker's name survived.

The Ruger No. 1 is not going to make you any money unless it's chambered in .25-06 or. 458 Lott. People seem to lose their minds and empty their wallets on those. A sibling of my Lott went for $3800 and I have seen folks pay absurd amounts for a .25-06. I think you could recoup your money on those guns.

I like the No !. It has some quirks but that really makes it interesting. I have two at present, both in 7x57 (imagine that), hopefully I don't find anymore :giggle:.

I have never bought a rifle or shotgun with the idea that I was going to make money on ownership. I buy them because I need/want them for a specific task. (mostly just for want) If I was wanting them to hold/increase in value I might be afraid to take them out of the safe and if I own them I'm going to use them.

My modest collection would sell for less than what I paid for them but that's ok, I'm not interested in getting rid of them now and what my kids do with them later really doesn't matter to me.

The Ruger No. 1 is not going to make you any money unless it's chambered in .25-06 or. 458 Lott. People seem to lose their minds and empty their wallets on those. A sibling of my Lott went for $3800 and I have seen folks pay absurd amounts for a .25-06. I think you could recoup your money on those guns.
There are Ruger No1 rifles in 25/06 all over Gunbroker for normal prices. These are new rifles, so not sure about the older ones in that caliber. Why would the 25/06 demand a premium?

There are Ruger No1 rifles in 25/06 all over Gunbroker for normal prices. These are new rifles, so not sure about the older ones in that caliber. Why would the 25/06 demand a premium?
Something to do with the older ones and the barrel weights and the configurations. Some are more rare than others. My .458 Lott was one of 13 produced in its configuration of stainless and walnut furniture. There are oddball No. 1's that get produced from time to time. Sort of like Sig Sauer and the weird things they produce.

My Father owened a beautiful Gibbs/Farquhrason action that he had custom built made in mid-sixties. Very beautiful. My brother inherited it. Wish it were mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg