Fantastic Article - A must read for all of you so called experts

Expert: someone from out of town, with no tools.
In hunting: someone who has done it twice.
Most hunters will never learn the minimum power required to hunt their favorite quarry. Nor should they. It would require starting with an adequate round, and working their way down the food chain until they started to get wounding rather than clean kills. Conversely, if they begin hunting deer with a 300 RUM, and wound one, a logical conclusion is that a bigger cartridge would help. While there are 22's that are suitable for most deer hunting applications (223 Win SSM/1:7 twist, 100 grainers my choice) the fact is that the 223 Remington is not one of them. Speaking from bad, and foolish, experience, the 223 Rem is not suitable for most Muley hunting. And why would one hunt deer with a 22 anyway, when there are so many better choices?
Still, the author did attend a hunter safety course, and he has no tools, so I guess he could be an expert............FWB

I left some feedback - it is being "evaluated".
If they respond to your feedback, please post for all of us non-experts! (Don't think I have ever been called an expert).....ah yes, a couple of times in IOBC!

I didn't know that years ago shells were made of lead, that bullets dropped in steps or that poly tips made bullets more accurate (any target shooters take note). Those were just three things I saw but I couldn't read the whole thing either, it's crap.
Maybe we shouldn't be too hard on the fellow, maybe where he hunts the big deer are under thirty pounds??
Good thing about this is that even an "expert" like this should eventually figure out that he had no idea what he was talking about and that he's now advertised his lack of knowledge (and wisdom) and ruined any reputation he thought he was going to get. I'm hopeing his "career" as an outdoor writer has stalled as the article is fairly old. If it hasn't yet, it will at some time.
Bad thing is he's going to make a few (hopefully not too many) animals that he shoots suffer needlessly before that happens and convince some others to do likewise.
Not too much gained by going smaller.
Not too much lost by going bigger.
Methinks Elmer Keith and many others may have been on the right track regarding this subject.;)

sounds like it was written in english by a marketing person who knows just enough to be dangerous about ballistics, in the gin, in flight, and terminal.
then translated into another language by a translating machine.
then edited by someone who knows absolutely nothing about shooting.
then translated back into english by a translating machine.
the real problem is that beginners seeking knowledge will see this and think they are learning facts.
and it reflects the evergrowing lack of empathy for game animals that seems to be the current trend when comparing to the true hunter.
bruce.

Pathetic really.

Maybe it was written by a child....14-16 yo...................FWB

That appears to be Robojournalism written by a Bot. You can tell be the strange ayntax and word choices.

I used to be agree with .223 being to small for deer but I no longer do. The modern bullet choices have changed my mind. I think it's adequate for deer under 200 lb.

A friend's 11 yo daughter killed her first deer recently. About 165 lb shot with 75 Grain Speer Gold Dot out of an AR15 SPR with an 18" Barrel at 60 yards. Frontal shot from the front quarter. Broke down the shoulder, destroyed the heart and lungs went through a farside rib and found perfectly mushroomed under the skin on the far side.

Really if you think about it objectively if a 300 grain .378 is adequate for 2,000 lb dangerous game doesn't it follow that a 75 grain .223 might do for a 200 lb deer?

I think that this buger eating Moron was being advised by president Trump prior to this article,It sounds a lot like what he said yesterday about not rakeing up the leaves in California was why the fires were so bad,to bad they wasted the ink and the article space with this idiot

I think that this buger eating Moron was being advised by president Trump prior to this article,It sounds a lot like what he said yesterday about not rakeing up the leaves in California was why the fires were so bad,to bad they wasted the ink and the article space with this idiot
The environmentalists forced the state to quit clearing brush and undergrowth nearly four decades ago (a bit more than raking leaves). They, of course, have an issue with any artificial or human management of habitat - or something like that. Same crowd who wants the state to remove all man-made water points - they artificially increase numbers of pesky things like desert bighorn and mule deer. Mother nature is now simply managing all that dead fall naturally. https://www.wsj.com/articles/facing...a-tries-something-new-more-logging-1542390642 Maybe enough influential people are being affected to finally reverse this madness. So, though his timing could have been better, his point was exactly correct.

Last edited:
The Europeans thought the native North Americans were mad, when they set fires intentionally.

Fire serves a number of valuable purposes in the natural scheme, from succession to germination to keeping fires at ground level by not allowing dry/dead stuff to accumulate.

Man-made fire suppression, without attendant counter-effects, will eventually lead to really destructive fires!

Well ..... he did live in Alaska

Probably was deported to lower 48 states, for “intentionally spreading disease” (that’d be the one commonly known as Velocity Madness).

Last edited:
Where did this "person" come from and what is he smoking? Maybe he doesn't have the mental capacity to think and is spouting what he dreamed up. If so, that was one bad dream. Lead shells, some ammunitions, FMJ for hunting? In a 223? Wow, man, that is scary. Sad part is that some other not too bright yahoo is going to take this as gospel and try it. I just hope he's not a member of AH.

Come on guys. The California fires were solely caused by "Climate Change". Jerry Brown said so.

The sad thing is this article will lead to many wounded deer and negative experiences.

The sad thing is this article will lead to many wounded deer and negative experiences.
I think he was just trying to find a use for his plastic fantastic.

I think he was just trying to find a use for his plastic fantastic.
This guys 3/4 ton crew cab handles like a Porsche now that he put on those twenty inch wheels too.

good forest managers and fire service people have been trying to teach the rural people about defedable space and how everything below 6 ft high is known as ladder fuel ie a ladder right up the tree,excess fuel is why they cant control,not all fire is bad,except when it burns up your home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg