Fantastic Article - A must read for all of you so called experts

Dear Dwight, thank you so very much for getting my heart going this morning. Though it was overcast when I woke up and turned on my phone, the storm clouds started to form.

I made a cup of coffee (first things first), got out my yellow pad, and started to write.
Three sips of coffee later, I realized that writing a response here is just preaching to the choir. The people on this website are ethical hunters and many could have sat down with
Pondoro Taylor.

The author of that article you posted, I will simply refer to him as the imbecile, knows nothing about deer. Obviously a Texas Hill Country deer is not on par with a Montana whitetail.
I'll not even address the legality of caliber or type of action
(Pennsylvania; illegal to use a 22, illegal to use a semiautomatic).

I believe the imbecile just goes to some remote place with his friends, they shoot a lot of firearms with high magazine capacity, reread old Soldier of Fortune magazines and . . .

But thank you for getting my blood going this morning.

@MartyJ, In Pennsy, rimfires are not but .22 centerfire cartridges are legal for deer. I have to check but I think you can even use .17 caliber centerfires.

Edit: Regs state any centerfire rifle. Semi-auto shotguns shooting slugs are now legal statewide.
No semi-auto rifles, YET. :D

Last edited:
@MartyJ, In Pennsy, rimfires are not but .22 centerfire cartridges are legal for deer. I have to check but I think you can even use .17 caliber centerfires.

Are the deer the size of our Coyotes?

Are the deer the size of our Coyotes?

Some are probably smaller. We call them "Pocketbook" deer, the ones you can pick up by all four legs and carry them. These are usually shot by a certain religious sect who take the Bible literally when it comes to animals. In other words, if it's brown, it's down. There are counties in PA where they have been basically been wiped out and the Pennsy guys on this forum know who I'm referring to. Aside that, there ARE some fairly large deer in the woods and fields and they're usually a lot smarter than the hunters.

Having going off topic, most guys in PA are NOT shooting small calibers and more than likely something in the .30 caliber cartridge line.

Edit: Regs state any centerfire rifle. Semi-auto shotguns shooting slugs are now legal statewide.
No semi-auto rifles, YET. :D
Hmmmmmm, I didn't realize they changed it. Thanks.

Hmmmmmm, I didn't realize they changed it. Thanks.

There used to be a minimum, .243/6mm, but that went away awhile back.

That's what I remember.

I once used a 22/250 with 60 grain Nosler bullets to shoot a deer in the Kerrville area of Texas. We were out hunting varmints when a nice 10 point walked out at about 70 yards.
I did it, once.
When better cartridges are available, why ?

That's what I remember.

I once used a 22/250 with 60 grain Nosler bullets to shoot a deer in the Kerrville area of Texas. We were out hunting varmints when a nice 10 point walked out at about 70 yards.
I did it, once.
When better cartridges are available, why ?

The last few years, I've been seeing youngsters at the ranges getting ready for deer season shooting bolt guns in .223 Remington. Generally, they are using factory ammo in the 60 to 80 grain range and have been fairly successful. One thing's for sure, they don't seem all scatterbrained like some guys I see there.

The last few years, I've been seeing youngsters at the ranges getting ready for deer season shooting bolt guns in .223 Remington. Generally, they are using factory ammo in the 60 to 80 grain range and have been fairly successful. One thing's for sure, they don't seem all scatterbrained like some guys I see there.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

I was going to post and comment on some of the more ridiculous statements in these two articles but gave up when I became overwhelmed with the sheer volume of preposterous misinformation being peddled.

I'm sure the author is enjoying the kickbacks from the various products he's shilling.

After perusing the article... I couldn't actually read it because it was a.) incomprehensible from all the spelling and grammatical mistakes, and b.) my time would have been better spent doing something more constructive like, lighting my foot on fire or chewing my arm off.... anyway, I agree that the poster has likely NEVER been deer hunting let alone had more than a passing aquaintance with anyone who has. This is my rendition of the sequence of events that led up to this article.

1.) Author grows up in a city somewhere, having never seen real WILD life.
2.)Author plays entirely too many video games including Call of Duty or whatever new thing it is...
3.)Call of Duty makes the author an expert in the function and use of all weaponry ever made
4.)Author is told by someone with no consideration for the rest of gun owning society that no, if fact AR-15s are not restricted to "operators"
5.) Author purchases an AR-15
6.) Author goes to the range only rarely and runs "zombie street sweeping drills"
7.) Author watches an outdoor TV show and learns that it is in fact legal to kill something with his AR
8.)Author buys Cabelas Big Game Hunting video game to learn how to hunt properly.
9.)Author goes to the nearest patch of woods, which happens to be private property but what does he care?, proceeds to load 30 rounds of cheap walmart FMJ into his AR and then an additional 240 rounds into his OD green tactical vest. gives up after 20 minutes of walking around running house clearing drills at top speed and wondering out loud why the stupid animals don't flock to him like hes covered in catnip.
10.)Author writes an article about "huntin' them deers" with the mother of all deer killing rounds, the .223 Remington.

For the record, I have no problem with someone using a .223 for deer. I have taken a few cull (nuisance) deer off a friends farm with my CZ 527 loaded with 62 grain Barnes TTSX rounds and got pass throughs and massive damage on all of them. They didn't go far. But you have a lot of limitations in range and presentation. Not to mention using stoutly built bullets that were designed for medium game. It works, but if I have the possibility of seeing big deer at less than optimum angles, you better believe I reach for something bigger.

I guess idiocy knows no bounds...

Oh wait! I think I found a better picture of him!

2a4.jpg

Attachments

• 2a4.jpg
    2a4.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
"If you are shooting at 300 yards, your main challenge will be to maintain the transonic speed."

For a variety of reasons, this was my favorite line in that article.

"If you are shooting at 300 yards, your main challenge will be to maintain the transonic speed."

For a variety of reasons, this was my favorite line in that article.
This is done by choosing .223 rounds with micro-controllers, GPS and micro ram jets so as you approach the speed of sound, you can maintain the threshold.... I think Brown Bear makes them. :whistle:

This is done by choosing .223 rounds with micro-controllers, GPS and micro ram jets so as you approach the speed of sound, you can maintain the threshold.... I think Brown Bear makes them. :whistle:

I spit my coffee out on that one! I need some of those micro ram jets . . .

A few years ago wyomings law said that for any game animal pronghorn size or larger yo must use a bullet of 23 cal or larger and it must have an overall cart length of at least 2 in.the 2in length was to eliminate 357 mag cart.now they have changed it to read that any 22 cal cart ,with a min bullet weight of at least 60 grains is legal for ant and deer still the same 23 cal for elk and moose.in talking with game and ffish people they have not seen much in the way of non recovered game but they claim to hearing a lot of rumor to that effect.my personal opinion is 22 cal are varmitors and I leave it that way,I shoot a 25-06 for elk only because I have put over 3000 rds through it and load a quality barnes bullet in it.I own a 270,30-06 300win mag which are all more approprat elk cal.If I could draw a moose tag the 300 would be the choice.

A few years ago wyomings law said that for any game animal pronghorn size or larger yo must use a bullet of 23 cal or larger and it must have an overall cart length of at least 2 in.the 2in length was to eliminate 357 mag cart.now they have changed it to read that any 22 cal cart ,with a min bullet weight of at least 60 grains is legal for ant and deer still the same 23 cal for elk and moose.in talking with game and ffish people they have not seen much in the way of non recovered game but they claim to hearing a lot of rumor to that effect.my personal opinion is 22 cal are varmitors and I leave it that way,I shoot a 25-06 for elk only because I have put over 3000 rds through it and load a quality barnes bullet in it.I own a 270,30-06 300win mag which are all more approprat elk cal.If I could draw a moose tag the 300 would be the choice.

MICRO-MANAGEMENT, it's what these game departments do best.

I totally understand.
@Dwight Beagle
A mate of mine shoots scrub cattle with a 223 and uses 55 grain Sierra game kings. He is very patient and waits for the right shot or doesn't take it. He usually puts it right between the eye at a max of 75 yards.
Is it enough gun. In his case mostly. Is it the right choice. I n my opinion no.. all the animal has to do is move it's head slightly and he will be in a world of shite.
I have tried to convince him his 06 is far better but to no avail. One day he will learn the hard way while resting in his hospital bed.
Bob

I thought it was a joke until I read the bio and saw that the author was an expert.

So I guess all my laughing and tooth grinding was just showing my own ignorance.

:)
Well, you know the definition of an expert is: An ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure. I'd like to know where he got his "expertise". Notice he never mentioned if he had used any of these rounds for deer hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross