Garry Bezuidenhout

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Sporting Shooters Assosation Australia
Hunted
Zimbabwe Mozambique
Hi All
Question has anyone had difficulty in trying to get their firarms out of Australia to go on safari in Zimbabwe whats the go and how did you manage to get the permit from dfat and abf

Our trip was organised through a travel agent on the Sunshine Coast (LOOONNG way away for you, sadly) who had done it before; best of luck, and hunt hard!

Our trip was organised through a travel agent on the Sunshine Coast (LOOONNG way away
Our trip was organised through a travel agent on the Sunshine Coast (LOOONNG way away for you, sadly) who had done it before; best of luck, and hunt hard!

for you, sadly) who had done it before; best of luck, and hunt hard!

It’s not too difficult, you get the following documentation/forms from Border Force. The forms you need are:

“Registering as a client in the integrated system “ form
Restricted goods permit (RGP) form

Export declaration form. Form 957

Export declaration supplementary page. Form 957a

In addition you’ll need to have firearms license, weapons list, driver’s license, passport and know your flight details.

This post has it very well covered. Follow this and you can’t go wrong

It’s not too difficult, you get the following documentation/forms from Border Force. The forms you need are:

“Registering as a client in the integrated system “ form
Restricted goods permit (RGP) form

Export declaration form. Form 957

Export declaration supplementary page. Form 957a

In addition you’ll need to have firearms license, weapons list, driver’s license, passport and know your flight details.
Because my trip is to zimbabwe I have to get clearance /permit from DFAT which in turn have to clear it with the minister as zimbabwe is under sanctions

ABF email for WA is on that post . Send them an email and ask. First I’ve heard of DFAT being involved in this process…must be new? Dept of Defence yes, but DFAT no…..unless something new??

My contact was Jan McLeod, a Globetrotters agent. Those details may have changed since I went.
Follow the advice above, and use the resources detailed above; they're pretty helpful, I found.

Hi All
Question has anyone had difficulty in trying to get their firarms out of Australia to go on safari in Zimbabwe whats the go and how did you manage to get the permit from dfat and abf
@gary Bezuidenhout
All you need is the appropriate paper work and you will not have an issue.
My paperwork was done by the person that organised the trip. Sydney, Perth,Jo berg, Windhoek return without a hiccup even in Perth nice and easy with very polite helpful staff.
Bob

I have contacted Garry by private message as getting firearm cleared from Australia to Zimbabwe is now a big issue and for the most part unavailable to be done. Namibia, RSA etc are no issue.

I have contacted Garry by private message as getting firearm cleared from Australia to Zimbabwe is now a big issue and for the most part unavailable to be done. Namibia, RSA etc are no issue.
Is he trying to permanently export the rifle to Zimbabwe?

@gary Bezuidenhout
All you need is the appropriate paper work and you will not have an issue.
My paperwork was done by the person that organised the trip. Sydney, Perth,Jo berg, Windhoek return without a hiccup even in Perth nice and easy with very polite helpful staff.
Bob
Hi Bob could you put me in the direction of the people that helped you out thanks

As a result of comments on another post (re UK to Zimbabwe) I checked for Australian sanctions. Bugger me, we have the same sanctions in place. Sent an email to the sanctions team at DFAT and they confirmed that if a hunter took a rifle from Australia to Zimabawe, even if only for personal use on the hunt, that person would be committing an offence.

There is a possibility of having the Minister grant an exemption, but you'd need to prove it was necessary in the National Interest ie no chance.

Looks like I can forget about the BVC, Save, Omay and all the other legendary destinations.

I suppose it makes the overpaid fatcat Foreign Affairs type feel like they have achieved something.......

I think this matter is being overthought.

Apply for the permit through your local ABF office. They issue the permits and liaise with Defence and any other government agencies they may think necessary.

I cannot see anything that would prevent the temporary export of a firearm to Zimbabwe by an Australian hunter.

Find below the reply from DFAT to my querry re temporary export of a firearm to Zimbabwe by an Australian hunter:

Thank you for your email.

The Zimbabwe sanctions regime imposes an arms embargo. It is prohibited to directly or indirectly supply, sell or transfer arms or related matériel to Zimbabwe. Hence, travelling to Zimbabwe in possession of a firearm is prohibited.

You can find further information regarding Australian sanctions prohibitions on our website: Sanctions regimes | Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (dfat.gov.au).

Permit applications under regulation 18

Regulation 18 of the Autonomous Sanctions Regulations 2011 (Cth) provides that the Minister for Foreign Affairs (Minister) may grant a sanctions permit authorising an activity that would otherwise contravene Australian sanctions laws, if she is satisfied it would be ‘in the national interest’ to do so, and she is satisfied about any circumstance or matter required by Part 4 of the regulations to be considered for a particular kind of permit.

If you would like to apply for a sanctions permit authorising a particular activity, you will need to submit an application through PAX (Pax Home (dfat.gov.au)) and provide any information you believe may be relevant to satisfying the Minister that the activities covered by the permit would be ‘in the national interest’ and meet the requirements in Part 4 of the Regulations.

Please note, the ‘in the national interest’ test is a relatively high threshold to satisfy. Generally, the ‘in the national interest’ test requires the Minister to be satisfied that the grant of a permit is beneficial, or advantageous, to the national interest. ‘In the national interest’ requires a consideration of whether something is advantageous to the nation as a whole, as opposed to a particular company, group or section within the nation, or to a particular region or locality.

Please note, timeframes for processing applications vary depending on their complexity. On average, matters take at least 3 months to process once you have provided all the necessary information. However, where external consultation is required, assessments may take longer to complete.

Important information

Breaching Australian sanctions law can be a serious criminal offence. You should be aware that Australian sanctions laws may be amended regularly. Further information in relation to Australian sanctions laws can be found on our website: Australia and sanctions | Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (dfat.gov.au).

We hope this information is of assistance.

Sincerely

Australian Sanctions Office

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg