Experiences With Shot Placement

Discussion in 'Shot Placement' started by sgt_zim, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ShortMag

ShortMag AH Member

This is the key point to take away in my opinion. Any through and through hit to the chest cavity will almost certainly cause the lungs to collapse and death occurs quickly due to asphyxiation from that collapse not due to the lungs filling with blood or from blood loss (exsanguination). The only difference from a high lung hit and and low lung hit is the ease of the tracking job. This mostly applies to archery gear as rifles tend to make it even more of a moot point.

2. gillie

gillie AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
    Last year hunted a mountain sebra, double lung pass through with a 375hh and 300gr swift aframe. Went down in less than a minute and the place where he was stumbling around was sprayed with blood everywhere, didn't go 10m. Same load same trip, single lung shot on Gemsbok, had to give him another "pill"..., two notoriously tough animals, two different shots and two different results...

3. kurpfalzjäger

kurpfalzjäger AH Veteran

I have shot some buffalos with double-lung shot , especially if they are standing in tall grass and a heart shot was not so safe.

They stayed on the place or walked just a few steps so that i could follow up and do the final shot.

That's one of the reasons why i prefer a big caliber , like my 460WM , for such action. A big caliber makes big holes , which is very important in a double-lung shot. But that also applies to other wild species. A big caliber with the right bullet is always better for hunting.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019

4. Rum Runner

Rum Runner AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Tanzania
    Here is a pic of my first buffalo. Shot through the top of heart and right lung. One shot and he only ran 10 yards and collapsed. This was a .416 Rigby with 400 gr. Swift A-Frames. Tough animal, but I doubt a two lung shot would have dispatched him any quicker...

20190816_085733.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2019
    kurpfalzjäger likes this.

5. kurpfalzjäger

kurpfalzjäger AH Veteran

Certainly not , the double-lung shot is only a replacement solution. The best shot is the heart shot , for the buffalo and also the elephant.

Rum Runner likes this.

6. Rick Cox

Rick Cox SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
    I had a weird one last week. Using a 7-08 and Swift 150gr Scirocco ll bullets, I shot a deer at about 70 yards. It was standing at the top of a small ridge, facing me, just at dusk. I aimed dead centre and low on the chest. Obviously hit hard, the deer ran over a small ridge out of sight. Expecting to crest the ridge and see the deer all I found was an initial splatter of dark blood, which stopped immediately. No lung blood. I found subsequent tiny drops spaced about 10' or so apart, perhaps shakened off as the deer bounded away. I figured terrain had guided the deer into a swamp. I got my head lamp and kept looking, but could find no more blood. I kept looping back and forth and finally found good blood then a spot were it had fallen, then again, and suddenly there was the deer, lying in the tall dry grass in about 6" of water, which was covered by a thin veneer of ice.
    I managed to drag it out of the swamp, and then get my truck in close and loaded it (using my Z pulley system) into the back, to take home to deal with, as it was now pitch black, cold and my feet were wet.
    Once I hung the deer, and opened up the diaphragm, the first thing that happened was the heart fell out followed by most of the lungs. The deer had run about 50 yards or so, with no heart and really no lungs. The bullet had hit exactly where I aimed, dead centre on the lower brisket, and exited at the second to last rib on the left side above centre line.
    I guess there was no blood because the deer had no beating heart or working lungs. The boney brisket had closed off blood escaping, and the exit wound was only about the size of a quarter, and as I said, above mid line. Weird. But I do like those Scirocco ll bullets! It pays to keep looking...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Tra3, Mort Hill and shootist~ like this.