Exclusively for hunting cartridges

7x64 is quite a popular all-round caliber here in Czechia. Also its rimmed twin: 7x65R.

Same, here, in Croatia! ;-) Both calibers are very popular.

Speaking of Czechia, I have a soft spot, for older Chech combination rifles (like super brno, 12 ga/7x65r), but unfortunately no longer they are produced.

My battery now is 6.5x55, 30-06 and 375 H&H. Of the three I believe the 375 is the only cartridge that has no military pedigree. I like all three for their history, but I got to wondering: what would my battery look like of I only used cartridges that were exclusively developed and used for hunting? Could I duplicate the spectrum with classic, but exclusively hunting, cartridges? Rare ones like 275 H&H came for mind, as well as more familiar ones like 9.3x62 and 300 H&H. But, would the 275 Rigby qualify as I think it is the same as the German military round? Not sure.

Anyways, what would such a battery look like to you?
Swap the first two with a .243 Winchester and a .300 H&H Magnum. Problem solved.

If you want to go real hardcore, replace the .243 Winchester with a .240 H&H Apex. Then, all three of your calibers are made by Holland & Holland.

Swap the first two with a .243 Winchester and a .300 H&H Magnum. Problem solved.

If you want to go real hardcore, replace the .243 Winchester with a .240 H&H Apex. Then, all three of your calibers are made by Holland & Holland.
@Hunter Habib.
Never, never ever swap anything for a 243. If I was running low on tomato stakes I would swap a rusty star picket for one but that would be it.
Bob

@Hunter Habib.
Never, never ever swap anything for a 243. If I was running low on tomato stakes I would swap a rusty star picket for one but that would be it.
Bob
Heel, Bobby. There’ll be no desecration of the divine .243 Winchester today.

Tell you what ? You find me a reliable source of brass and bullets for my granddaughter’s .240 Apex Holland & Holland Mauser. And I’ll never talk about the big bad .243 Winchester again.

My answer would be obviously
308 Norma
358 Norma
416 Rigby
Why deviate from the Norma? Neck the .358 up to .416 and have a .416 Norma. You’d be the first on your block to have one! Kind of like necking up my .338WM brass to create .416 Taylor cases.

Why deviate from the Norma? Neck the .358 up to .416 and have a .416 Norma. You’d be the first on your block to have one! Kind of like necking up my .338WM brass to create .416 Taylor cases.
@CoElkHunter
Necking up the 338WM to 375 or 416 take an average cartridge into something special. Even necked to 358 will be good.
Dang why not neck it down to .308 and make it more useful.

Wouldn't that be a .375/.30-06 AI? I'm getting a headache with all these wildcats! LOL
From memory, Anthony used 280 rem brass, shot it in an improved chamber, in a 375 barrel, all his own research and development. From what I've learned, and I'll stand corrected on this, in a push-feed Winchester, 26"/28" barrel, shooting Woodleigh 235 grain bullets. Developed as a longer-range deer rifle. Took two, at 280 odd yards, give or take.
If I've misquoted, or written out of line, my humblest apologies , Anthony.
As long as we have shooters and hunters in the "game", we'll have wildcats; it a "man" thing ...

My battery now is 6.5x55, 30-06 and 375 H&H. Of the three I believe the 375 is the only cartridge that has no military pedigree. I like all three for their history, but I got to wondering: what would my battery look like of I only used cartridges that were exclusively developed and used for hunting? Could I duplicate the spectrum with classic, but exclusively hunting, cartridges? Rare ones like 275 H&H came for mind, as well as more familiar ones like 9.3x62 and 300 H&H. But, would the 275 Rigby qualify as I think it is the same as the German military round? Not sure.

Anyways, what would such a battery look like to you?
7x57 Mauser is not rare. It is exceedingly popular worldwide. The small fraction that they renamed 275 Rigby are. There was no need for that.

From memory, Anthony used 280 rem brass, shot it in an improved chamber, in a 375 barrel, all his own research and development. From what I've learned, and I'll stand corrected on this, in a push-feed Winchester, 26"/28" barrel, shooting Woodleigh 235 grain bullets. Developed as a longer-range deer rifle. Took two, at 280 odd yards, give or take.
If I've misquoted, or written out of line, my humblest apologies , Anthony.
As long as we have shooters and hunters in the "game", we'll have wildcats; it a "man" thing ...

7x57 Mauser is not rare. It is exceedingly popular worldwide. The small fraction that they renamed 275 Rigby are. There was no need for that.

That one would just be a 300 Weatherby
How come Weatherby never made a .35 cartridge? Would it have been a .300 necked up or the .378 necked down?

How come Weatherby never made a .35 cartridge? Would it have been a .300 necked up or the .378 necked down?
maybe their original 375 necked down? even that was a great cartridge! lack o' bullet selection and mass appeal at the time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.