Exclusively for hunting cartridges

Bob,
You may be right.
My wife has a Browning .25 pocket pistol and a .243 rifle and can shoot both.

lvw,
finally something we can agree on -- 22Hornet/12ga
52027_600x400.jpg

Combo turkey and varmint gun.

+ .45-70 barrel insert into 12 ga barrel good for deer out to 100 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late to play & I'm sure already mentioned, but either a .250 Savage or .22-250, .300 Savage or .300 H&H & rounded out with a .375 Ruger.

I reckon that'll do everything I'd ever need (although the other twenty-odd guns in my safe are VERY happy that that's not the case!)

Bob,
You may be right.
My wife has a Browning .25 pocket pistol and a .243 rifle and can shoot both.
@crs
At least you have one 25 even if it's better to hit someone one the head with the gun than shoot them with the 25acp. There's a truck driver in Australia wandering around and still driving trucks with a 25 cal acp bullet in his head doing nil damage.

At least she shoots both well but be nice and buy her a neat little 250 Savage or 257 Roberts she will be even happier.
Bob

Well, there is her 20 gauge, a 9m S&W, a 380, a 22 rifle, and access to many more including her favorite M1892 357 Mag rifle.. All in family learned to shoot the 1892 and took game with it -- a fun and deadly little rifle.
My son shot that revolver with 38 ammo before he was in Kindrgarden. He has his own guns now.

53201_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My battery now is 6.5x55, 30-06 and 375 H&H. Of the three I believe the 375 is the only cartridge that has no military pedigree. I like all three for their history, but I got to wondering: what would my battery look like of I only used cartridges that were exclusively developed and used for hunting? Could I duplicate the spectrum with classic, but exclusively hunting, cartridges? Rare ones like 275 H&H came for mind, as well as more familiar ones like 9.3x62 and 300 H&H. But, would the 275 Rigby qualify as I think it is the same as the German military round? Not sure.

Anyways, what would such a battery look like to you?
I took two rifles to Africa, the .300 Win Mag and .458 Win Mag. They were both developed as hunting rounds, although the .300 has been used as a military sniper round recently
For NA I usually use a 7mm Rem Mag. for deer and pronghorns, and have a .22-250 for coyotes and other small varmints.

.22-250, .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08, .280A.I., 7mm-300WM, .308, .300WM........ whatever it takes....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.