Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, DSC, IGFA
Hunted
South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Wyoming, South Africa, Argentina
Got my skulls plus the kudu horn pickup back from the taxidermist. The difference in the pig skulls is interesting. The bush pig nasal area has lots of cauliflower looking areas that I would presume increase his olfactory senses. The zebra skull looks much different than I imagined and to me cooler than I expected. The kudu horns (from the Northern Cape) are almost identical to the kudu I took in the Eastern Cape 4 years ago! Getting juiced to get the shoulder and pedestal mounts in 6 months!

2019 Euros.JPG
2019 Euros 2.JPG
2019 Euros 3.JPG
2019 Eoros 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice.
Impressive job, if the fine bones are still in the cavity.

Congratulations on your Christmas in March!

Nice, congrats !

Mounts look great. I'll probably do 60/40 euros and shoulder mounts next time.

Congrats on getting them back!

My computer died as I was typing, so lemme try again...

Those are some pretty handsome skulls. I'd been weighing Euro mounts vs neck or shoulder and this kinda helps cement the Euro preference.

The bushpig skull, though, are those "cauliflower" areas hollow or are they solid? 'Cause I had a look at some other pig skulls and they either lacked them or had much smaller ones. If they were olfactory-related, I reckon they'd be more common on the examples I had a look at. Perhaps some sorta age-growth or bone tumor instead?

Nice! I am getting nothing but euros from my last trip. They take up so much less space! And space costs more than mounts!
Congratulations on some fine mounts!

Nice! I am getting nothing but euros from my last trip. They take up so much less space! And space costs more than mounts!
Congratulations on some fine mounts!
That's exactly my own thinking. I don't wanna even imagine the hassle of transporting bigger mounts if you move house. Probably require a lot less upkeep to just have some skulls.

Congratulations

Glad you got your stuff home!

My computer died as I was typing, so lemme try again...

Those are some pretty handsome skulls. I'd been weighing Euro mounts vs neck or shoulder and this kinda helps cement the Euro preference.

The bushpig skull, though, are those "cauliflower" areas hollow or are they solid? 'Cause I had a look at some other pig skulls and they either lacked them or had much smaller ones. If they were olfactory-related, I reckon they'd be more common on the examples I had a look at. Perhaps some sorta age-growth or bone tumor instead?

Webley,
I spoke with the taxidermist and the odd structure on the nose is normal. I looked at some photos of other bush pig skulls and some have them and some don't. I didn't see any with the extent on my pig. I'm guessing it is age related. The area is hard bone like the rest of the skull just more open with the cauliflower or maybe coral appearance would describe it better.

The euros have the original teeth. The taxidermist made casts of them and I am also getting shoulder mounts of both made.

Congrats - Great looking mounts!

Nice mounts!
Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg