ETHIOPIA: Northern Operations Africa 2016

Quite an adventure and excellent report. Thanks!

Wow, excellent adventure and great write up. For what ever reason I had it in my head that you hadn't gone yet and I've been dying to read the report. Fortunately I saw on the Benin thread you had and alas, great read.
This sounds like an excellent adventure though I doubt I'll ever do Ethiopia. Thank you for sharing your experience and wow congrats on some excellent animals. I do have to say your probably the luckiest guy in the universe to have gotten a second chance at the Nyala. I don't know what good karma you've got but feel free to send some my way anytime.

Truly an experience and trip of a lifetime. You had me worried when you "collapsed" under that tree in the desert. If anything had gone wrong there I shutter at the medical attention you would have gotten? But in the end it worked our great. Thank you for the write up, not sure if it helped me put Ethiopia on my list or took it off my list.

I do have to say your probably the luckiest guy in the universe to have gotten a second chance at the Nyala. I don't know what good karma you've got but feel free to send some my way anytime.

I think the luck was the team I had. As I think I said, I'd given up, but my PH and the team never did. But happy to send whatever karma I have left your way!

Truly an experience and trip of a lifetime. You had me worried when you "collapsed" under that tree in the desert. If anything had gone wrong there I shutter at the medical attention you would have gotten? But in the end it worked our great. Thank you for the write up, not sure if it helped me put Ethiopia on my list or took it off my list.

I was worried at the time as well. I do have @Global Rescue, but I have little doubt that getting me out of there would have been more than normally difficult. But I guess that's a risk you take when you try to hunt areas that are further off the beaten path. I, like a whole bunch of people on this site, think it's a risk worth taking. My wife wouldn't agree, I think, if I were to ask. Which is why I don't!

As for going or not going, I get what you mean. While I'm really happy I went, I had to go there for the nyala. Given a range of issues - all of which I hit on - this isn't a country I'd rush back to, unlike many others I've hunted. I do think they take full advantage of the few endemic species they have to extract more than a reasonable amount from hunters. It's mostly that value equation which leaves you thinking "I paid what you asked, but I'm not that happy about it" and when you combine that with the other aspects of the hunt, well, if you don't need a mountain nyala to fill a goal, I'm not sure I see a reason to go.

Wow, that sounds like quite an adventure in every sense of the word. Thank you for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IvyPrim830

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.