Enter the Minefield of Double Rifles from Baikal

Honestly, I do not know.....

I haven't fired a shot yet.

I loaded 300 gr Sierra HP..... and I am looking for a scope and a mount.

HWL

Exciting times then! I hear... mixed reports on these. Here's hoping you get a good one. I rate the Sierra at least!

Please let us know. I really kinda want one of these as a toy / cheap double rifle concept but it's a special order item in the UK. Your feedback would be very welcome before I take the plunge.

Al.

Exciting times then! I hear... mixed reports on these. Here's hoping you get a good one. I rate the Sierra at least!

Please let us know. I really kinda want one of these as a toy / cheap double rifle concept but it's a special order item in the UK. Your feedback would be very welcome before I take the plunge.

Because of the embargo against Russia, these guns are not available in Europe any longer.

Sometimes you can find a used one.

I choose the 300 gr Sierra, because it was the only bullet, readily available on my workbench.

I ordered 400 gr Speer FN and will give them a try also.

HWL

Last edited:
Because of the embargo against Russia, these guns are not available in Europe any longer.

Sometimes you can find a used one.

I choose the 300 gr Sierra, because it was the only bullet, readily available on my workbench.

I ordered 400 gr Speer FN and will give them a try also.

HWL

.45-70 Stalin und Stalin, thats a good one.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For thouse who are still interested....finding the way through the minefield of Baikal Double Rifle.

I mounted a used 1,5-4,5x18 Zeiss Diavari on a used rail mount, I both found in my workshop.

With 300 gr. HP Sierras, also leftovers from another project, I could hit the target at 100 m for the first time.

I was able to zero the right barrel and finally, I fired a 5 shot group of 2,5"/100m.

Than I tried the left barrel.....point of impact was more than half a meter on the right side!!!

The first shots I could not even find, because they were not on target!

Usually the worst case when regulating a double.

But not for this damned thing

This gun has a device for regulation azimuth of barrels..... and it works!!!

Russian engineering at it's finest.....

The point of impact of the two barrels are about 10 cm/4" from each other, the left barrel groups a little bit high.

....than I run out of ammunition, all the 300 gr Sierras were gone.

Back to the reloading bench..... 100 rounds 400 gr Speer flat nose soft point.

DSC04482.JPG
DSC04483.JPG

Wednesday is range day...... I am in good spirits

HWL

Last edited:
Good progress report, thanks.
I wish you the same 300 grain to 400 grain good fortune that I had with my Simson Suhl .405 WCF. Once the 300 grain regulation was good, my 400 grain loads at 2060 fps also regulated well enough for hunting big game!
Looking forward to your 400 grain report.

The right barrel constantly shoots 5 shot groups of 6 cm/100 m... sometimes a bit better.

The left barrel also does, but point of impact is 10 cm high.

I zeroed for the right barrel, knowing, the second shot is "high".

I think & hope, within 50 m it is not a problem.

The load is the Vihtavouri recommended 54,3 gr N530,/1900 fps... witch comes with a mighty blow, muzzle blast included.

...love it:)

HWL

Super! Now post pix of game that you take with it.

+ I bought some VV N530 because the specifications led me to believe it might be better than VV N133 for heavy bullets in my .405 WCF. I have not tried it yet because the N133 has already achieved the desired velocity and the low chamber pressure is nice. Noted in my previous post above.

I have one myself. Bought it when they first came at the Remington MR221 in 45-70. Think I paid under $850 for it. Triggers were terrible, gritty, heavy, lots of slack/take-up and over travel. Very hard to break open and cock and has this kind of 1/2 open neutral position. Took it to my gunsmith and worked the trigger over and now have just a little take up and a little over travel but no gritty feel and break clean at about 3#. I've got an old Weaver K2.5 mounted on it and it's just about a perfect a match as I could find. As others above have noted, the wood is just good solid utilitarian.

I actually sent an email to Biakal and asked about the 1/2 open neutral action position and got a reply back in a few days. They said it was "intentional safety precaution for carry". In the 1/2 open/closed position the cartridges can be carried in the chambers without falling out. This is in addition to the auto setting safety when you close the action.

I played with it a long time. Know idea what or even IF they were regulated at all from the factory. The right barrel is actually "fixed" to the front block and the left barrel is pressed into the front block in such a way that it is designed to be able to move a little when the "jack screw between the two is adjusted. As simple as it sounds, that jack screw IS effective and has little "clicks" and it WILL adjust regulation closer/farther apart between the two barrels.

I tried lots of different combinations and finally just settled on old Rem 405's, Starline brass, Fed 215 primers and enough H4198 for about 1775fps over the chrono. That combination seemed to be the most consistent. Each barrel will individually group under 1 1/2" at 50yrs with the left barrel's group a little higher. I've been able to "regulate" it for 100yds so that both barrels will print into the same 2" to 2 1/2" group with COLD barrels. As mentioned above, the barrel walls past the front scope ring are awfully thin and after two quick shots from each they are too hot to touch.

I have taken it to Namibia hunting twice and taken just 5-6 cull gemsbok. Longest shot was about 130yds. I have to admit, that combination of bullet/velocity hit with authority. A couple literally dropped at the shot and the rest never ran more than maybe 10m. The broadside shots were all pass-thru and you could easily pass a golf ball through the exit holes and ZERO bloodshot meat.

Would I use it on DG......with that bullet/velocity combination.... not the smartest of choices. With a 400gr CEB sold at 1800fps ONLY as an emergency since that combo doesn't meet the min muzzle energy requirement in any African country for DG.

Even with the bit of gunsmithing on the triggers, I've got less than $1k in it and at that price point, it's a hell of a lot of fun and brings a smile to my face every time I pull the trigger. I've pissed away a lot more on much less enjoyable items.
IMG_20200724_142712_1[1].jpg
IMG_20200724_145522_1[1].jpg

M McDindi,
Thanks for the interesting report. Good to hear those .458 bullets exited and were not found!

Maybe your story will help convince HWL to take his along on his next Safari.

Went back thru a few old photo. As mentioned above, I took to to Namibia twice just to play with culling. This was from 2012's trip. This tread has not got me thinking about getting it out, dusting it off and taking it over again on one of next year's trips to Botswana.
DSC06443.JPG

@ M McDindi,....

Thanks for your interesting report from me too.

@ crs

My intention for my "tool" was, to use it as a pig gun primarily.

Africa is a good idea , but my .405 and .450/400 doubles have precedence.

I have seen one sell on Gun Broker about 4 months ago in 30-06 for 3,800 dollars and another about two months ago for 2,000 , unbelievable prices , I found one in a gun shop in Memphis in 30-06 and thought it was a side by side 410 until I seen the sights , I purchased it for 775.00

I have seen one sell on Gun Broker about 4 months ago in 30-06 for 3,800 dollars and another about two months ago for 2,000 , unbelievable prices , I found one in a gun shop in Memphis in 30-06 and thought it was a side by side 410 until I seen the sights , I purchased it for 775.00
Lucky dog!!

I took one over for my lodge owner on second trip to SA. Chamber was bored out to 45-90, apparently not that uncommon. I cautioned him to not exceed 45-70 pressure. The longer case is supposed to give it more range. This one was interesting in that it had straight English grip which undoubtedly will make for more ergonomic carrying. However, I suspect that gun will kick like hell. Shocked me how lightweight it was in the hands. It may make a good dangerous game backup gun for him. Easy to carry and two shots should be enough. Clunky as they are, Bakail guns have a reputation for durability. I too am baffled at their wood. Definitely a hardwood with some interesting character but not walnut. Checkering is usually not the greatest but who cares? The guns work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois