Enter the Minefield of Double Rifles from Baikal

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway, Finland
Sometimes, archeologists dig even in gun shops, and so I did.

I fund a box, covered with dust since 2008.

I suscected a treasure and payed 599 €.

DSC04079.JPG
DSC04080.JPG
DSC04081.JPG
DSC04082.JPG
DSC04083.JPG

Indeed, the gun was untouched...... and I went into the Loading Room.

Will it become an "African Rifle" or just another toy, good for nothing?

Anyone with experience in this minefield?

;)

HWL

They are ok. Handled a few and fired one in the very same caliber. They are not a gun that I would shoot beyond 50-60 yards. They do NOT have the accuracy as a well made double rifle does. You can regulate the barrels on them by utilizing the action bull screw that is under and between the barrels. Wont really see much adjustment though. You would be better off by trying to find a handload that will shoot consistently with both barrels having the shots hit within 1 -1 1/2 inches of each other. If you can get 2 -3 inches at 50 yards be happy . They are obviously on the low end for quality , but they will do in a pinch. How much did you pay for it ? If I may ask ? James

...some 660 $.

I have not seen one, not even a used, the last 10 years, so I took the chance.

HWL

...some 660 $.

I have not seen one, not even a used, the last 10 years, so I took the chance.

HWL
Well you did good then. I have seen them on Gunbroker for 1,000 and up. Did you manage to find a load that works well for both barrels to consistently shoot tighter groups ? I personally am looking at the Sabatti double rifle. I have read good things about the rifle and am happy about the idea that I can send the rifle back to the factory and they will make up extra barrels in different calibers for me for the very same rifle.

Nice find and it is in excellent condition.
As you know, the 45-70 can kill little and big stuff and should do fine if you keep pressures under 28,000 PSI.
I have read of shooters that are very pleased with their Baikal and have found good applications for them.
I considered one way back, bur since I have a 45-90, a 45-70 was not needed. I bet you will keep it if you find it shoots well.
In Texas, it works great as truck gun that is always handy on the ranch, hunting lease, exotic ranch, or any where the truck is. It should be a great hog gun too. With the right bullets, there is not much that the 45-70 can not kill.

BTW, I also now have a .45-70 DR with 26 inch barrels and it can punch a big hole in game.
A close up:

Attachments

• 54676_600x400.jpg
    54676_600x400.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 510
  • 55185_600x400.jpg
    55185_600x400.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 393
Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just received one of these yesterday. I bought from the original owner who never fired it. They are much smaller and barrels are thinner than expected. Will hopefully get it out in the next couple weeks to try it out. I will post a report once I test it out.

That was my first double, it actually shot better than I expected with winchester factory 300gr bullets. The stock looks like it was made from old pallet wood, it is light and not all that well balanced, sights are from a SKS but it was sure fun to shoot. Would make a great truck gun to shoot pigs and what ever under 75 meters.

My suggestion is shoot several different factory loads and see which shoots best, I never had any luck with the adjustment of barrel regulation but you might have better luck.

I sold mine and bought a sabatti that a friend wanted it and offered more money that I could afford to keep it, then found a SIACE that shot light out but the stock didn't fit me and sold it and bought the Rizzini that is the best of the 45/70 doubles I have owned and shot.

If you reload keep the pressures under 28K and find a load that will shoot in your double.

Let us know how it shoots. ................FWB

I had a o/u with 12 mag on top and 308 on the bottom, it was my coyote gun and I used it hard. With handload of 110 gr Vmax it shot under an inch. It was grooved for a scope mount.
Only issues was the rifle trigger as it had creep and crawl plus about a5 lb pull. No adjustment but did get a little improvement by stoning.
I killed many many coyotes with that Russian over the years.

HWL asked "Will it become an "African Rifle" or just another toy, good for nothing?"

Your Call:
HWL. all I can add is to mention what gun maker friend told me:
"Do not use any .45-70 ammo with pressure above 1873 Springfield levels . PERIOD! "

The current Lyman 50th edition load manual covers the .45-70 well.

Tip - my custom .45-70(seen above) DR load is in the 1873 range and only generates 13,900 psi chamber pressure at 1,600 fps MV for a 300 grain bullet . It kills deer and hogs just fine. Very mild recoil also.

Sir,
I think you made a great find! Hope you enjoy the rifle!

HWL asked "Will it become an "African Rifle" or just another toy, good for nothing?"

Your Call:
HWL. all I can add is to mention what gun maker friend told me:
"Do not use any .45-70 ammo with pressure above 1873 Springfield levels . PERIOD! "

The current Lyman 50th edition load manual covers the .45-70 well.

Tip - my custom .45-70(seen above) DR load is in the 1873 range and only generates 13,900 psi chamber pressure at 1,600 fps MV for a 300 grain bullet . It kills deer and hogs just fine. Very mild recoil also.

First of all, I am completely with you, to use mild loads.

Nontheless, the rifle has valid Russian CIP proof marks for 2200 bar, witch is about 31 900 psi.

This rifle is also made for and withstands .308 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield.

In American reloading books, you can find c. u. p., copper units of pressure, no idea how to convert this to bar or psi.

Nosler says, 28 000 psi is standard of ammerican factory loads.

I ordered Speers 400 gr FN and Sierras 300 gr HP.

With a close look at the Lyman 50th edition, I will work up carefully.

But the next job is to mount a scope.

An old and lonely Zeiss 1,5-4,5x18Diavari, from the dark corners of my gun safe, claims for the job.
DSC04088.JPG

HWL

putinfrei-gewehr-DW-Politik-Republik-Tuva-Sibirien-jpg.jpg

as long as you don't walk around like this :sleep:
nice gun for the price

Attachments

• putinfrei-gewehr-DW-Politik-Republik-Tuva-Sibirien-jpg.jpg
    putinfrei-gewehr-DW-Politik-Republik-Tuva-Sibirien-jpg.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 318
I had one in 45-70 and found a load that shoot right on at 75 yards out of the left barrel, but the right barrel shot about 5" off and a little high. a friend wanted to mess with it and I sold it to him. he never got it to shoot any better and he sold it too. good luck with it, I did buy mine at a very good price too.

I shot the snot out of one a few years ago, enjoyed it a lot. Shot pretty well, but like others have said the so called "regulation" system is problematic at best, barrels are thin, action very stiff too. I made up loads using Rem and Speer 400 gr flat nose bullets. In the end like so many guns I have owned, it found a new home elsewhere.

I actually just received one of these yesterday. I bought from the original owner who never fired it. They are much smaller and barrels are thinner than expected. Will hopefully get it out in the next couple weeks to try it out. I will post a report once I test it out.
Hi GKNOX

Double rifle barrels are usually thinner than their single barrel (in the same calibre) counterparts? It is because there are are two of them supporting each other and makes for tasty/pointy balance.

(Apologies if preaching to the converted but you did say)

8 x 60
No appologies needed. This is the first double rifle I have ever held so really no experience. Have always wanted one and these are at a price point that will be fun to play with without spending a fortune.
Will post a report once I hit the range with it.

8 x 60
No appologies needed. This is the first double rifle I have ever held so really no experience. Have always wanted one and these are at a price point that will be fun to play with without spending a fortune.
Will post a report once I hit the range with it.
Cheers GKNOX.
I hope you realise you now have the Double Rifle addiction?!

And you can always use it as a tomato pole - or perhaps for holding up a grape vine would be more appropriate in Germany? :rolleyes: :A Outta:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you