Eland Mounts

archer36

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am getting an Eland mounted soon. I am undecided about pedestal or wall shoulder mounts. I have an 8 ft ceiling and not sure I want to hang a shoulder mount halfway up the wall. I'm leaning towards a pedestal mount. Recommendations please

IMG-20210918-WA0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The sheer size of an eland mount will make hanging it on an 8' wall challenging if you need to be able to walk near the wall etc. Now it doesn't get any smaller by putting on a pedestal :) but it does give you more options to move it around.

I've posted this photo a couple of times. Dimensions in inches. I would not recommend trying this in a room with an 8 ft ceiling.

1649098942272.png

My first large trophy was a big elk. The only spot I could hang it was in the foyer that was open to the second story of the house. A few years later, I got transferred to Houston and bought a house with a 12 ft ceiling in the living room, big fireplace and mantel. I just knew the elk was going to look great there. WRONG! With the tips of the antlers against the ceiling, the nose of the elk was somewhere around 6-1/2 ft high and stuck out 4-5 ft from the wall. It didn't look good, so the elk ended up in the foyer of the new house, just like in the old house. I remedied this problem when I retired by build a house with a man cave with 16 to 20 ft ceilings.

My first large trophy was a big elk. The only spot I could hang it was in the foyer that was open to the second story of the house. A few years later, I got transferred to Houston and bought a house with a 12 ft ceiling in the living room, big fireplace and mantel. I just knew the elk was going to look great there. WRONG! With the tips of the antlers against the ceiling, the nose of the elk was somewhere around 6-1/2 ft high and stuck out 4-5 ft from the wall. It didn't look good, so the elk ended up in the foyer of the new house, just like in the old house. I remedied this problem when I retired by build a house with a man cave with 16 to 20 ft ceilings.
I guess we should shoot smaller animals. Funny when you have to build a house around a mount.

My exact same situation on a 6x7 bull elk from British Columbia….a 12 foot ceiling over the fireplace was my plan…looked ridiculous and the overhead ceiling fan nipped the nose…so it was never hung on a wall….think about the size of the mount before….and make a plan

Here are a couple photos of my Eland. I have low ceilings as well. I had originally planned on a wall mount but then switched to a simple pedestal mount. I think it accentuates the detail of the mount better on these large animals and it is easy to move around if needed. Just my two cents.

E7E3FB49-FC71-48D2-B7F8-0DBA5F824557.jpeg
09AD75E9-865E-49A6-9388-B526A42F5352.jpeg
8F34D346-97EF-4C86-8702-967485554456.jpeg
D559480B-5BCF-4C97-937A-7376FB4CC4EE.jpeg

Here are a couple photos of my Eland. I have low ceilings as well. I had originally planned on a wall mount but then switched to a simple pedestal mount. I think it accentuates the detail of the mount better on these large animals and it is easy to move around if needed. Just my two cents.

View attachment 461490View attachment 461491View attachment 461492View attachment 461493
So Pedestal mounts are nothing more than a wall mount with a base. I was thinking they were totally supported by the base but obviously they would have to be perfectly balanced or the base secured to the floor or wall.

They are totally balanced on the base and do not have to be secured to the floor or the wall. It would take a pretty good push to knock it off balance. The backs of the mounts on floor pedestals are usually covered with some type of material , leather,felt,fur etc. to cover the back of the manikins. There are many different types of manikins used for wall and floor pedestal mounts as well. Mine actually sits in the corner of the room with a 360 degree view around the mount.

I originally had it mounted as a regular shoulder wall mount. The attached photos were taken by my taxidermist hanging on the wall and then on the base. I decided to have it placed on a base after realizing it would not fit on the wall where I had hoped. The taxidermist then made a simple base for the mount and attached the completed shoulder mount to the base. I think it worked out pretty well. Should I decide later to mount it on the wall I can remove it from the base with very little modification needed to then hang it on the wall. I have a Buffalo and Sable hunt planned next year and if I’m successful both of those mounts will be done on floor pedestals as well.

We have 8ft ceilings and here's what we did for our Kudu and Eland. Having the cape on the pedestal is a favorite of ours. We really need a bigger house with either 9ft ceilings or a house with a lot big enough for a dedicated 12ft-15ft high trophy room. And I thought hunting was expensive. :cry:
BTW, the carvings and ceramic mug on the table were hand-made and purchased in Namibia when we visited Windhoek.
IMG_0837cut.jpg

We have 8ft ceilings and here's what we did for our Kudu and Eland. Having the cape on the pedestal is a favorite of ours. We really need a bigger house with either 9ft ceilings or a house with a lot big enough for a dedicated 12ft-15ft high trophy room. And I thought hunting was expensive. :cry:
BTW, the carvings and ceramic mug on the table were hand-made and purchased in Namibia when we visited Windhoek.
View attachment 461717

Those pics & ceiling height really put in perspective how big those animals are.

View attachment 461717
The corner mount looks great. It may be my best option.

those mounts look great, if I may ask, what is the height of the pedestal under the Kudu and the floor to horn tips on the Kudu thanks Jim

Mine is in hung in a room with a 14' ceiling height. It had to be hung with the bottom of the mount at 7' (I am a tall guy). The Eland takes up 5' this left enough room to get the mount up to slide in its special bracket.

The Eland is as big as my cape buffalo on the wall and probably takes up more room. So, my suggestion is to pedestal mount the Eland with a large head/body turn in the best direction for your placement.

Or build a new trophy room that is what I did last year.

I have a fine bull, but since I only have 7’ ceilings and a very small space I did a euro mount.
If you don’t care about showing off the dewlap, you might just do a head mount cutting just behind the ears. Saves tons of space and still looks good IMO. I can’t find the picture of one I have seen. I’ll keep looking.
Best of luck squeezing that monster in your space!

Below is what we went with. I have a 9’ ceiling that step up from 8’ on the perimeter in this room. It is out of the way if you walk in the room.

Image1675882045.002814.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!