AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
DALLAS - DSC submitted its official comment yesterday in response to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's call for comments regarding the future of the African elephant. In March, the Service began accepting comments of scientific and commercial information concerning the possible reclassification of the African elephant from Threatened to Endangered. The Service requested factual comments to see if there is any evidence to consider uplisting.

DSC Executive Director Ben Carter said, "As longtime supporters of wildlife and habitat conservation, DSC is glad to provide our insight and knowledge of the benefits hunting brings to African wildlife. We provided the USFWS with many science-based examples of successes and failures of different models of conservation. We hope that the USFWS can use this valuable insight as they review the status of the African elephant."

In their comment, DSC provided a litany of examples to show that when hunting goes away, so do the animals. For example, Kenya banned elephant hunting in 1977. With the loss of revenue from hunting to combat poaching, Kenyan elephant populations dropped from an estimated 167,000 in 1973 to approximately 27,000 in 2013.

Many countries lack sufficient funding to properly manage wildlife and habitat. In 2012, $68 million resulted from hunting in the sub-Saharan region. More than 40 percent of this money came from hunting the Big Five, including the African elephant.

Other countries rely heavily on the revenue stream generated by hunting. Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority protects the country's wildlife. For the last five years, approximately 50 percent of the department's budget stemmed solely from hunting revenues. Without this influx of money, most countries will not be able to effectively manage their elephant populations.

The official comment delves much deeper into the issue and highlights both the benefits brought about by legal hunting and the after effects of what happens when hunting is banned. Interested parties can see the comment in its entirety at the DSC News Center (see attached pdf document).

Source: Dallas Safari Club (DSC)

Attachments

• USFWS-comment-elephants-DSC-final.pdf
    195.2 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for sharing the article!

Very sad, as soon as USFW upgrades the elephant they will be to blame for the loss of the African elephant. Sad days we live in my friends.

Yeah that will be unfortunate if the USFW does this, hopefully some common sense will prevail and they will actually listen to and read the facts

Glad to hear that DSC got in there with information.

Yeah that will be unfortunate if the USFW does this, hopefully some common sense will prevail and they will actually listen to and read the facts
they already know the facts,as do the antis.birds of a feather,etc,etc.

I dunno boys, I am thinking DSC missed the mark with this one.

The issue is what are the population trends. The submission does not get to the point until the end. The fact that countries have an overabundance is the issue. The patchwork of populations could probably be linked to areas that are pro or against hunting. It seems to me they are too defensive about the role hunting plays and not aggressive on the point that there are much more examples of robust population than Kenya.

I dunno boys, I am thinking DSC missed the mark with this one.

The issue is what are the population trends. The submission does not get to the point until the end. The fact that countries have an overabundance is the issue. The patchwork of populations could probably be linked to areas that are pro or against hunting. It seems to me they are too defensive about the role hunting plays and not aggressive on the point that there are much more examples of robust population than Kenya.

I am happy to see a response but I thought it was light. This is one of the top three hunting organizations in the world. I was hoping there would be more examples, data, and discussion around the real problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross