AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
DALLAS - DSC submitted its official comment yesterday in response to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's call for comments regarding the future of the African elephant. In March, the Service began accepting comments of scientific and commercial information concerning the possible reclassification of the African elephant from Threatened to Endangered. The Service requested factual comments to see if there is any evidence to consider uplisting.

DSC Executive Director Ben Carter said, "As longtime supporters of wildlife and habitat conservation, DSC is glad to provide our insight and knowledge of the benefits hunting brings to African wildlife. We provided the USFWS with many science-based examples of successes and failures of different models of conservation. We hope that the USFWS can use this valuable insight as they review the status of the African elephant."

In their comment, DSC provided a litany of examples to show that when hunting goes away, so do the animals. For example, Kenya banned elephant hunting in 1977. With the loss of revenue from hunting to combat poaching, Kenyan elephant populations dropped from an estimated 167,000 in 1973 to approximately 27,000 in 2013.

Many countries lack sufficient funding to properly manage wildlife and habitat. In 2012, $68 million resulted from hunting in the sub-Saharan region. More than 40 percent of this money came from hunting the Big Five, including the African elephant.

Other countries rely heavily on the revenue stream generated by hunting. Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority protects the country's wildlife. For the last five years, approximately 50 percent of the department's budget stemmed solely from hunting revenues. Without this influx of money, most countries will not be able to effectively manage their elephant populations.

The official comment delves much deeper into the issue and highlights both the benefits brought about by legal hunting and the after effects of what happens when hunting is banned. Interested parties can see the comment in its entirety at the DSC News Center (see attached pdf document).

Source: Dallas Safari Club (DSC)

Attachments

• USFWS-comment-elephants-DSC-final.pdf
    195.2 KB · Views: 102

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Thanks for sharing the article!

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Very sad, as soon as USFW upgrades the elephant they will be to blame for the loss of the African elephant. Sad days we live in my friends.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Yeah that will be unfortunate if the USFW does this, hopefully some common sense will prevail and they will actually listen to and read the facts

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Glad to hear that DSC got in there with information.

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
Yeah that will be unfortunate if the USFW does this, hopefully some common sense will prevail and they will actually listen to and read the facts
they already know the facts,as do the antis.birds of a feather,etc,etc.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I dunno boys, I am thinking DSC missed the mark with this one.

The issue is what are the population trends. The submission does not get to the point until the end. The fact that countries have an overabundance is the issue. The patchwork of populations could probably be linked to areas that are pro or against hunting. It seems to me they are too defensive about the role hunting plays and not aggressive on the point that there are much more examples of robust population than Kenya.

LivingTheDream

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
I dunno boys, I am thinking DSC missed the mark with this one.

The issue is what are the population trends. The submission does not get to the point until the end. The fact that countries have an overabundance is the issue. The patchwork of populations could probably be linked to areas that are pro or against hunting. It seems to me they are too defensive about the role hunting plays and not aggressive on the point that there are much more examples of robust population than Kenya.

I am happy to see a response but I thought it was light. This is one of the top three hunting organizations in the world. I was hoping there would be more examples, data, and discussion around the real problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LatriceGab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh