DSC 2025 in Atlanta....are you going?

Are you planning to attend the DSC convention in Atlanta in 2025?

• Yes

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 53 44.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 31 26.3%

• Total voters
^^^ This ^^^

Every single person I’ve spoken to about the move (and it’s been many.. the group includes life members, outfitters, vendors, etc… the people that should really matter to the organization…) has expressed a high level of displeasure about how DSC went about making the decision and how it was messaged… frankly, they did a terrible job… and I would venture the organization will suffer some consequences if they don’t find a way to win some people back over…

I don’t think the ATL show will be a failure… but the truth is a huge portion of the organizations membership and revenue comes from a fairly tight orbital ring confined to Texas… if a significant portion of that core contingent remains dissatisfied with the way DSC manages itself and makes decisions, I’d suspect we’ll start to see SCI grow a good bit more in TX and DSC start to wither on the vine a bit…

TTHA moving its annual show from Ft Worth in August to the Dallas convention center in January on the exact same weekend DSC will be in Atlanta is not a coincidence… that is SCI making a bold move, fully aware that there are a sizable number of Texans… many of them DSC members.. that are not happy and and even larger group that won’t be going to Atlanta (for a variety of reasons)…

6 or 7 years ago when I went to my first TTHA show there were only maybe 5 or 6 African outfitters present and only one of them was an AH sponsor to my knowledge..

Last year I counted close to 20.. with a couple of AH sponsors present.. and probably another 20 international outfitters from countries outside of Africa…

I’m going to bet those numbers at least double if not triple in January 2025 and that TTHA specifically solicits a lot more international outfitters to join them (they’re in a much larger space now and know a large DSC contingent will be in town and available to attend)…

If DSC isn’t looking at this as a direct threat… and purposefully planning on making a move to counter it (figure out how to get their membership “happy” again)…they clearly aren’t paying attention…
Dave, we've heard about a lot of exhibitors that are unhappy. Personally, I think they are going to be surprised. I have a feeling Atlanta is going to be fire.
Looking forward to it.

OK, dumb question, what is TTHA?

Historically their show is much more focused on local hunting and shooting sports.. lots of "deer" and "hog" and "exotic" hunting focus... but over the past few years (Im guessing since being bought by SCI) there has been a shift and youre seeing more and more "international" flair at the show...

for example 6 or 7 years ago they had a huge "rattlesnake" booth in the middle of the floor with a couple of hundred live snakes running around, and an "alligator" booth in the back where your kid could hold and pet baby alligators, etc.. those were pretty much the main attractions of the show (or at least where youd see a large group of people gathered all the time, etc)..

both of those vendors still attend (they were there last august the last time the show was held in Ft. Worth).. but you dont see people gathering around those booths nearly as much now.. now there are several Africa, South American, Canadian, and a few European outfitters present where there werent many before.. youve got manufacturers like Leupold there where before you mostly had regional distributers and retailers selling products, etc...

Its still much more of a blue collar type event than say DSC or SCI... but... theyve done quite a bit (IMO) in recent years to expand the show, broaden the audience, and improve the show overall...

Its not a show that I would typically recommend people travel to see like I would recommend DSC or SCI... but is a pretty cool way to spend the day if youre local... that might be changing in the near future though if they continue to improve things and expand the show.. 5 years ago it was sort of a take it or leave it thing for me... if I didnt have anything else going on I'd drive over to Ft. Worth just to see if I could find a good deal on something or maybe run into an old friend, etc.. but now I actually watch for the show and plan to be there.. Ive picked up some very good deals/prices on products in recent years, and while I havent booked a hunt there yet, I have chatted with a couple of outfitters that Im very interested in (and will probably follow up with this year)... theres a guy that does mountain lions over in New Mexico that Im really interested in.. and a guy in Canada that always has good deals (and seems to have a good reputation) on black bear hunts..

Reactions: WAB
Dave, we've heard about a lot of exhibitors that are unhappy. Personally, I think they are going to be surprised. I have a feeling Atlanta is going to be fire.
Looking forward to it.

I sincerely hope youre right... I wish no ill on DSC at all.. they are an important organization that do a lot to help expose the next generation to hunting, assist in wildlife and habitat conservation, etc..etc.. I've been a life member for a fairly long time, and used to be extremely involved in the local chapter (Im sure I'll get reinvolved in the future.. we've just been super busy with other things for the last few years)..

I just think the organization needs to be aware that they have upset A LOT of people.. not just members.. but also exhibitors.. and they need to be consciously doing something to mend those broken fences.. or there could be consequences (decline in membership.. decline in member involvement, decline in exhibitor bookings, etc..etc..).

SCI and DSC are the same driving distance for me. The SCI Convention is more logistically friendly for me with safaris only a couple of months after the conventions. Even SCI is doubtful with time running down.

As most know SCI moved from Tucson to San Antonio, where TTHA is located. There was a rumor going around that DSC could have stayed in Dallas one more year, but choose to leave early. The letter tries to explain why they had to leave. I don't buy the loading dock explanation. Too many other events need a loading lock. SCI/TTHA took advantage of the space in Dallas for a New Show. I am reading else where the overseas vendors are inquiring which show to attend. If they pick the SCI/TTHA that going to hurt DSC. Also, there were mass resignations at DSC - President, President-elect, and board members. Rumors going around about other problems, but nothing that can be confirmed.

I sincerely hope youre right... I wish no ill on DSC at all.. they are an important organization that do a lot to help expose the next generation to hunting, assist in wildlife and habitat conservation, etc..etc.. I've been a life member for a fairly long time, and used to be extremely involved in the local chapter (Im sure I'll get reinvolved in the future.. we've just been super busy with other things for the last few years)..

I just think the organization needs to be aware that they have upset A LOT of people.. not just members.. but also exhibitors.. and they need to be consciously doing something to mend those broken fences.. or there could be consequences (decline in membership.. decline in member involvement, decline in exhibitor bookings, etc..etc..).
100%. I would add that there are ALREADY consequences...this is the nature of change management. I won't be going to DSC for 5 years but I will go to the TTHA show. I will also talk to my PH friends about exhibiting there. In fact, it's better in some ways to be a bigger fish in a small pond then vice versa. A young, hungry PH will have good opportunities at a smaller show with a well established (but disgruntled) base.

there were mass resignations at DSC - President, President-elect, and board members. Rumors going around about other problems, but nothing that can be confirmed.

Im not sure who left.. Ive been out of touch with the local chapter and most of the leadership team for a while.. but honestly, based on my interactions with the board back in the 2016-2019 time frame, it needed to be shaken up a bit.. hopefully the people that needed to go got pushed out and the right people stayed as opposed to the other way around..

back then (possibly still?) there was an element of good ol' boy on the board that was a detriment (IMO) as well as a few members that had been around a really long time that simply could not see a need to change some fundamentally poor practices (so obvious that Ray Charles could have seen them and pointed them out to Stevie Wonder).. their position was essentially "this is they way we've always done things.. so this is the way will will continue to do things"....

Overall I thought the board was made of of good people, most of whom had good intentions back then.. but some of the members capacity as leaders for such an organization left me scratching my head at times...

I highly respect the overall legacy of DSC and the conservation efforts, etc. Leadership comes and goes so I will be watching to see what direction this takes. It actually reminds me of the hubris of NRA and their mistakes. A big difference on that is there's more than one group like DSC working on conservation and representation of hunters. I've been a DSC member but I can easily change that and spend more time and $ with SCI and GSCO if that makes more sense. I haven't decided yet but I've seen little interest in my constructive feedback to DSC so far.

I think the marketing/communication side of this move has been a massive failure. To this day, I have not been formally asked for my membership feedback on the move or changes happening. Any time a big change happens and leadership does not ask the membership for feedback...most of the time that doesn't go well. I get the comments posted here, like I'm not from there and it's closer for me, etc...but I'm in DFW and a member of DSC so my perspective is different.

for example 6 or 7 years ago they had a huge "rattlesnake" booth in the middle of the floor with a couple of hundred live snakes running around,

I tell ya, you Texans are all the same with your embellished stories......special legged snakes in Texas I guess ........ :)

I talked with an SCI representative today and asked about the DSC and TTHA conflicting dates with DSC-Atlanta and SCI- Nashville in 2025.

According to him, he checked with another coworker, accordingly there isn't a conflict of dates. That each show/convention is on different dates and spaced out enough for people wanting to attend 1 or all 3 can.

SCI/TTHA Jan 10-12
DSC Jan 9-12

North Fork will be in Atlanta as well. Would be nice to meet you again Phil.

SCI/TTHA Jan 10-12
DSC Jan 9-12
Obviously the fellow I talked with at SCI wasn't looking at these dates. He gave the DSC-Atlanta show dates were before the SCI Convention and the SCI/TTHA Show dates were after the SCI Convention. Assuring that DSC, SCI, and the other big shows try to avoid conflicting dates.

What a bunch of confusion!

Obviously the fellow I talked with at SCI wasn't looking at these dates. He gave the DSC-Atlanta show dates were before the SCI Convention and the SCI/TTHA Show dates were after the SCI Convention. Assuring that DSC, SCI, and the other big shows try to avoid conflicting dates.

Typically they do…

I’m pretty sure this was a deliberate move by SCI though to take advantage of the opportunity to grab a ton of people from about a 200 mile radius around Dallas that normally attend DSC, but won’t be going to Atlanta (DSC has always been easy, and ATL isn’t worth the effort… or they’re pissed.. or whatever)…

TTHA has always been in FT. Worth and always been in August…

It’s not a coincidence that it’s now at the Dallas Convention Center, in January, on the exact same weekend as DSC in Atlanta..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
41On

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.