Draw Results coming in

With a sheep tag in your pocket who cares about a whitetail?

Did anyone get caught up in the fiasco that Utah DOW had going on yesterday 7/16 trying to purchase a elk tag???

40 years on the nose and over 40 apps ( multiple states) and I finally drew a SHEEP TAG, I'm afraid I will wake up and it's just a dream!!! Struck out on whitetail in Montana but not really caring at this point.

Welcome to the "it took 40 years to draw a ram sheep tag" club! It's going to be exciting!

I'm glad I drew deer and antelope tags in Wyoming, cause it looks like it might be the only hunting I get to do this year. My fall bear hunt in Ontario got officially cancelled today. The outfitter doesn't want to start baiting hoping that the border will open in time. Can't say that I blame him for that it's a lot of work for a long time for it all to fall thru. Guess I'm just getting tired of everything getting cancelled.

40 years on the nose and over 40 apps ( multiple states) and I finally drew a SHEEP TAG, I'm afraid I will wake up and it's just a dream!!! Struck out on whitetail in Montana but not really caring at this point.
Congrats on the Sheep tag! Is this for Idaho Jeff? And will you be bowhunting? :sneaky:

Congrats on the Sheep tag! Is this for Idaho Jeff? And will you be bowhunting? :sneaky:
Yes Idaho right close to home and I will giving it a couple of weeks with the bow. Hoping I can get it done.

I drew as a resident in part of 28. I've seen rams with in 25 minutes of my house.

That's awesome!!! Congratulations and look forward to the story!

-JimP, I don't buy a tag for general elk but when I saw your post it reminded me to get my general archery tag. Last year the guys I work with procrastinated and weren't even able to hunt spike bulls with a rifle. Not enough elk, not enough tags, too many hunters. . .

I drew a cow elk tag and a Antelope tag in Colorado's 2nd draw. Neither are good units or seasons but you never know.

-JimP, I don't buy a tag for general elk but when I saw your post it reminded me to get my general archery tag. Last year the guys I work with procrastinated and weren't even able to hunt spike bulls with a rifle. Not enough elk, not enough tags, too many hunters. . .

It was a cluster you know what with all the tags being sold online only people were getting kicked out of the que after sitting there for a couple of hours. Then the any bull tags sold out around 4pm or so. I looked yesterday and there were around 3500 spike tags left and a couple of hours it was down to around 3300. So in a day and a half around 10,000 tags were sold for the spike hunt.

It surprised me at how fast the any bull tags went. Usually when they are sold the last into August before they are sold out and the spike only tags usually last into September.

Good luck on your archery tag. Did you draw a deer tag here in Colorado?

Can't speak for Mr. Van Horn but I quit putting in for Colorado some years ago. Limited funds so I am just doing Nevada, Wyoming and some years (not this one) I go to Nebraska. My father in law hunts a good deal in Colorado for deer and really loves it but he buys private land tag and it just isn't in my budget. I have had some good bird hunting there periodically.
The Utah archery tag lets me shoot a spike bull or a cow so I can fill my freezer most years on the over the counter tag.

Nothing for us.. May have to look for scraps in the leftover draws. Is it even worth it picking up a deer or elk leftover or OTC tag in Colorado?
Most of my hunting here has been OTC or left over tags. Your success, IME, primarily comes from your hunting tenacity and skills. If your looking for a trophy elk, you need to build up preference points for years to hunt key big elk areas. Outfitted hunts are another option, but you still need preference points for lots of prime areas. IME, the further you can walk back into wilderness away from roads and people, the higher your chances...a young man’s challenge.

Can't speak for Mr. Van Horn but I quit putting in for Colorado some years ago. Limited funds so I am just doing Nevada, Wyoming and some years (not this one) I go to Nebraska. My father in law hunts a good deal in Colorado for deer and really loves it but he buys private land tag and it just isn't in my budget. I have had some good bird hunting there periodically.
The Utah archery tag lets me shoot a spike bull or a cow so I can fill my freezer most years on the over the counter tag.

I live in Colorado so getting tags here aren't real expensive. The units l drew are weather dependent on where the game is, which can make it a good or a hard hunt

I assume that would be a rut hunt for mule deer-always wanted to hunt them when their necks are swollen and their eyes are bloodshot and their senses are distracted. Good luck-can’t wait to see some pics from that adventure!

The season most certainly covers the rut. Thanks for the good wishes.
I'll share the pictures and tale of any success.

Well gents.
10 hours from now ill be at the trailhead starting my mountain goat hunt.
All is packed and double triple checked.
20 years to draw this tag in Colorado.
At least the area I'm hunting isn't caught up in all the wildfires.
I'll try to post as possible.
Not sure how much I will be able to post at 14000 feet due to lack of service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg