Double rifle shooting - good or not at 50 meters?

This maybe a little off topic but I have had a question about double rifle accuracy. Rifle is regulated for a specific load. You get to Africa, rifle is there but no ammo. Now what. Can you shoot another load with any kind of accuracy? Do you shoot Kentucky windage and hope you hit somewhere close? Do you end up with a very expensive club sitting in your room and use the outfitter's rifle? Will a double shoot any good with a different load?
This has always made me quite leery of doubles for that reason. A bolt gun will shoot whatever you put in it and with a few sight in rounds you're usually good to go.
Thoughts and comments?

Newboomer, this is not off topic,
you're hitting the nub of the matter.
Double rifles (with soldered barrels) a certain unreliability is inherent.
Just the changes in materials over time often lead to a change in the meeting point location.
If you are not a reloader you spend a fortune to find the right load of factory ammunition.
Men need toys, what would we be without ;) ?

@Major Khan:
I deliberately load the .480 gn bullets because I expect more in terms of speed and penetration depth.
I let them shortly officially measured.

I was going through this thread today , Foxi . I just noticed that Franz Sodia is the maker of your rifle . I had a continental client once bring a Franz Sodia double barreled rifle to India for a water buffalo shikar . His rifle was also chambered in.458 Winchester magnum calibre , but it was a traditional side by side rifle .
I can tell you with 100 % confidence that your rifle is regulated for the old pattern Remington brand 500 grain ammunition ( The early kind designed to achieve a velocity of 2150 feet per second and not the later post 1980 Remington ammunition , which had a reduced powder charge and only achieved a velocity of 2040 feet per second ) . Therefore , you need to work out a hand load , which replicates the original Remington factory load in order to get both the barrels to regulate out to the same point of impact.

Reactions: RTG
HERE IS THE REGULATION GROUP FOR MY SIMSON SUHL .405 WCF.

This was shot from a sturdy tripod (not field sticks) at 50 yards by Aaron Little when he completed re- regulating the rifle with Hornady factory 300 grain ammo at 2225 fps MV. This is also the velocity to which I load all my 300 grain .405 ammo.He is another person that can shoot my doubles better than I.
BTW, my 400 grain hand loads are also regulating at 2050 fps. A larger group, but OK for large game.
Fantastic groupings.

A red dot sight on a double looks so wrong ... but there's no question about it making it easier to hit your target.

If you really want to know the accuracy POTENTIAL of you and your rifle, you should have a target that is easy to aim at precisely. Animal targets with indistinct scoring areas are good for hunting practice. In my area, big game hunters must qualify by hitting "kill areas" in such targets.

People who put red dot sights in hard use tend to agree that Aimpoint makes the most durable and reliable ones.
I Agree, but when you get older the eyes don`t follow longer, and you need glasses, hunting in 35 degrees celsius with glasses are hopeless because of the swet and all that follows, so A red dot is only option.
Sorry

Thanks @HWL i knew their riflescopes are certainly waterproof but really trying to find the new Kahles red dot micro sight water resistance specifications. I would like to try one out but no mention that I can find? Sorry to get off track on the thread but my personal belief is that micro red dots are very functional on doubles and DG rifles though not as elegant as express sights.
I don`t know if the reddot`s are waterproof, I just know that Aimpoint is waterproof and shockproof.
Never had any troubles with my Micro 1.

Last edited:
I`m a reloader, and I also reload all of my ammo for my 470NE.
My Krieghoff is regulated with Norma PH ammo, that means Norma using Woodleigh 500 grs RNSP, wich powder I`m not sure.
Vo on the box is 2150f/sec, Fact the Vo is normally lower around 2100f/sec.

I load my ammo with the recomended Vo 2150 and the groupings are around 1,5-2 inches, wich is acceptable.
I load my 500 grs Woodleigh, 500 grs A-Frame and 500 grs Barnes Solid, all of these tree loads are within 2,5 inches of spread at 50 meters, If my ammobox is lost at the transport and I go to the shop and buy a Federal with 500 grs A-Frame or a Norma PH box I feel rather safe with the accuracy, but I always shoot a couple of rounds just for checking.
I also need to test several cartridge manufacturers more intence just to see what they perform.

"BTW, my 400 grain hand loads are also regulating at 2050 fps. A larger group, but OK for large game."

If you wrote it was a .458 Win .Mag at 2050 fps, there would be voices here, that you couldn't even kill a rabbit with it.
@Major K. ,I work it out and thank God Im a reloader,otherwise I would be broke by Big Game ammo :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you